Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Official Toronto Blue Jays Discussion 2013

take it easy on lind. you can't be hot for the entire year, we should see how he does in the second half. that being said, no one is untouchable for the right deal.

the main issue is obviously rotation. I'm just not sure how to improve there as our farm system is already gutted.

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

Watching the 20th anniversary of the 93 world series and damn imagine if we would have pulled the trigger on the Randy Johnson deal.

Anyone wish we could reverse the Marlins deal?
    I'm not even gonna ask about the Mets Deal...

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by bluerap
    Anyone wish we could reverse the Marlins deal?
    I'm not even gonna ask about the Mets Deal...
    It depends on what else would have been avaiable.

I was glad they got Reyes. I was glad they got Johnson. I realized that Buehrle was more of a "you guys have to take his contract to make this deal work". Johnson has clearly bombed and that's the part of the deal that has backfired. I don't care too much about Nicolino or Marisnick even though he's clearly bounced back this year. It also depends on whether or not the Reys and Buehrle contracts will prevent the Jays from spending much going forward. We'll see.

The Mets deal looks ugly though. I personally thought that D'arnud would immediately be better than JP. Maybe not a star but a quality everyday catcher. The injuries are a concern but still, with how bad JP has been, that might hurt. I'm not too concerned over Syndergaard though. He's still mostly a 1-pitch guy right now and if he doesn't improve the curve-ball, there's still a legit chance he ends up as a reliever (albeit, a very good one). He's also probably 2 years away.

Serious playground baller DJMason's Avatar

I'll never wish to take back a trade that brought Jose Reyes here. None of the players we traded away in either deal will be as good as him so whatever.

The Mets deal as far as I see it is a bust, but in all likelihood is a future bullpen arm and a guy who can't stay healthy and is replaceable by Aaron Sanchez in a couple years anyway. I still believe we haven't seen the best of Dickey yet either.

I don't love either trade as much, but even in hindsight we have to try and win with Edwin and Jose in the next 3 years anyway so I can't kill either deal. After seeing us waste Delgado and Halladay I'm sick of constantly building towards the nebulous future.

From everything I've read, Syndergaard has improved his curveball and is no longer just a one-pitch pitcher. He is also working to develop that change up. That Dickey trade has been horrible. I don't think it's going to get any better either. It looks like an absolute fleecing right now. I have always liked Syndergaard and I think he's got a legit shot at being a starter. He hasn't been challenged at any level yet. He's got an extremely good BB rate for someone who throws that hard and his K rate remains near 10k/9. I thought we had given enough by trading D'Arnaud, but adding Syndergaard on top of that was too much.

As for the Marlins trade, I'm not too worried about that one; we did give up pretty decent prospects, but no stars. We got the two best players in the deal (even though Johnson flopped).

Nicolino's K rate has regressed quite a bit; and while he was never gonna be a big K guy, it's below 6k/9 in single-A. Marisnik has been called up way too early, but he's got a legit baseball body. He looks overmatched at the moment, but I think he can develop into a very decent player. Adeiny Hech was leading the NL in average since the beginning of July (last i checked); he's not a bad piece either.

We seriously need to get rid of Buehrle, I do think it will come in the way of us signing some players or going after some good players...

If you look at Miami media (the same media that was ripping the Marlins for the trade), they are all eating crow now admitting it was a great trade for the organization.

Reyes is amazing (but also injury prone) and we gave up a ton to get that one piece. Hech is looking like a legit SS. Jake M is looking WAY better than Gose.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Hech is terrible. I'd be shocked if he ever hits. And with that bat, he better be the best defensive SS in the league to warrant playing everyday. Losing him in the deal meant little.

Serious playground baller DJMason's Avatar

I feel the need to reiterate my position that unless in 3 of the players we gave up are a better combo than Edwin and the two Jose's in their prime then to hell with them all, I'm still glad we went all-in.

Just wish Dickey and Johnson would have some positive regression at some point and we'd still be golden going into 2014 (assuming Johnson would accept QO in the winter).

Local High School Star

Johnson, Buhrle, Dickey didnt flop...

They simply got a healthy dose of ERA plus as I said before.

Guys in the National League always struggle to switch leagues by around 50 points of ERA. Add in the "battter friendly Blue Jays Rogers dome" and the "batter heavy" American League East - those 50 plus points of lost ERA translates into 5 lost games per pitcher.

What we gave up is of no consenquence as this team needs to reach the playoffs during the next 2 -3 years. They smell the fan discontent.

Keep em and resign Johnson if you can.

The big thing is dump all the middle relief and hangers on the rotation for a true number 1 pitcher if you can. Trade 4 for 1 or 5 for 1 and promote a bunch of rookies and D league guys to be your middle relief as long as you can possible land a Zack Grenkie or Roy Haliday.

Play it thin for 3 seasons - make the playoffs on bats an "timely vetern pitching" and then dump dump dump for another 7 year rebuild.

I was happy with the trades at the time, but now I wish Alex would have stuck to his original plan and built through the draft and player development. We would have been better off trading Bautista and EE for prospects. It would have taken a long time to rebuild this thing properly (this isn't the nba) but we were more than half way there.

Now we are screwed with a maxed-out budget and very few prospects to use in acquisition of starting pitching and filling our other holes. This team is not a real contender (and is far from it). And now if AA can't pull a miracle in the next 2 years we will be back at square one with an old, overpaid team and a depleted farm system.
    Last edited by bluerap; 11-23-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Reports are NPB has agreed to a deal with the MLB that the max bid will be $20 million. The player would be free to sign with any team with the highest bid.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by brwnman
    Reports are NPB has agreed to a deal with the MLB that the max bid will be $20 million. The player would be free to sign with any team with the highest bid.
    Well that sucks. At least in the previous system there was a shot that a team like the Jays could submit the highest bid have sole negotiating rights. Now, for the best players, multiple teams will submit max bids and the player will generally choose the bigger market teams to sign a deal with.

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Well that sucks. At least in the previous system there was a shot that a team like the Jays could submit the highest bid have sole negotiating rights. Now, for the best players, multiple teams will submit max bids and the player will generally choose the bigger market teams to sign a deal with.
    Basically all this does is save the large market teams money.

every one of these guys is going to sign with the yankees now.