Thread: Mafia III

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Mafia III

I wasn't a fan of the previous Mafia games, but I know a lot of people were. I just felt like the city was too dead and the driving to stiff in the last one. And the way every mission threw you back home made it feel less open world and more mission based, only that you had to drive to the missions. And maybe I just didn't get into it enough.

Anyway, a trailer just popped up for Mafia III:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ma...l-trailer.aspx

And here's a review of a hands on section that GameInformer got to play:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ma...ostPageIndex=1

The screenshots look cool, but they always do. But the description of the game sounds great. Late 60s New Orleans. Sounds like they landed a killer soundtrack for it on their radios, which is key. New Orleans is a city I've never been to, but it feels like a perfect place and time setting to do one of these games. The cars are right at the start of being modern enough for driving to be fun. And it sounds like they've kept a hard edge on the social strife of the era. Race is a key factor. The protagonist is a mixed race Vietnam Vet. And they've moved away from the strictly Italian Mob meaning of Mafia, although they're still included as an enemy. Sounds like it's mainly a black power mafia, and the write up mentions a Haitian mob, and an Irish Mob.

I know it's a GTA knock off, but as with most GTA knockoffs, if the setting is cool and the story is fleshed out, and the game play is functional, it's being a knockoff doesn't bother me at all.

I am the First Officer ImmortalNemesis's Avatar

Default Re: Mafia III

I have Mafia II on Steam with two minutes in it. Should play it sometime, love the Italian mafia vibe of these games.

This one seems to be going a different direction though.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

This article has a video interview with the head of the dev team, and a bunch of gameplay footage.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/...rganized-crime

Looks awful. Why is it even named Mafia when it has nothing to do with it? Black gang is not mafia.

As a Czech this really pains me. The original Mafia was a revelation here and still probably the best Czech game to the date. This is what happens when you rip the franchise off the hands of its creators, give it to someone else and tell them just fvck shit up

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
    Looks awful. Why is it even named Mafia when it has nothing to do with it? Black gang is not mafia.

As a Czech this really pains me. The original Mafia was a revelation here and still probably the best Czech game to the date. This is what happens when you rip the franchise off the hands of its creators, give it to someone else and tell them just fvck shit up
    The antagonist in the game is the Italian Mafia.
    The main protagonist is seeking revenge against the head of the Italian mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by West-Side
    The antagonist in the game is the Italian Mafia.
    The main protagonist is seeking revenge against the head of the Italian mafia.
    I saw it. Gonna kill dem evil whities who shot up my homies in tha hood. Doubt the Mafia part will play any bigger role in that. It's just there for the name recognition.

Vito is there for the same reason, now serving the protag like some shitty lackey even though he is a ni99er hater in M2.

https://i.4cdn.org/v/1438789192130.webm

anyone who has played the previous games knows that this is just unforgivable. It's going to be Saints Row 3 levels of stupidity.

Why is there even a ghetto mixed protag in a Mafia game? Does America really have to shoehorn black vs white race wars into everything? I miss the old Czech devs

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom
    https://i.4cdn.org/v/1438789192130.webm

anyone who has played the previous games knows that this is just unforgivable. It's going to be Saints Row 3 levels of stupidity.

Why is there even a ghetto mixed protag in a Mafia game? Does America really have to shoehorn black vs white race wars into everything? I miss the old Czech devs
    saw another webm where the rear-view showed a car exploding in front of you - it's not actually a rear-view, but LOOK AT THIS EXPLODING SHIT, ADHD KID screen
    Last edited by Trollsmasher; 09-02-2015 at 06:25 AM.

Banned

I'd rather gangsters 3

Hood trash 3.