Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Greatest Of All Time Baller1986's Avatar

Default Re: the greatest choke: 1969

Wilted Under Pressure.

I'm not a Wilt guy so I don't mind as much, but why is the constant trolling of him and his era permitted, while anti-LeBron/Kobe/MJ trolling/agenda threads don't stay up for long? Is it just that these threads aren't reported?

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaten
    All I want to know from the Wilt fans is if this is factually correct?

I'm 32, obviously I wasn't around and to be frank I don't know ho I could rate some who played 20 years before I was born.

Don't care about Wilt one way or the other, my only question is in regards to these sequence of events.

Nevermind the details, like the quote of the coach and so on, did the events transpire as OP is saying? Was his team down double digits with 5 mins left? Had the lead been trimmed to 1 when he asked to be put back in the game?
    ask and thou shallt receive brother. these wilt stans won't answer you on this one even if they stalk this board 24/7/365 because they can't prop their boy on this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_NBA_Finals ... see the game 7 entry for coach quote and for sequence of events. You'll see that it was even more ridiculous with people preparing baloons, marching bands and other shit in the vein of "not 1 not 2 not 3.."

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...69_finals.html ... stats. Wilt boarded godly but so did russell, their production is very close. As you can see russell had more of an offensive impact due to his passing.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I'm not a Wilt guy so I don't mind as much, but why is the constant trolling of him and his era permitted, while anti-LeBron/Kobe/MJ trolling/agenda threads don't stay up for long? Is it just that these threads aren't reported?
    Jongib/lazareus are prolly old timers that are experiencing severe memory loss, these dudes can't remember what they had for breakfast let alone a thread from 2 days ago, just bookmark and post.... they never post in non-wilt threads.

The rest (cavsftw, marchesk, .. ) is literate trolling brother. It brings the hits to the site and offers some variation from lebronze vs kome vs jordangoat vs dubeta plus the weekly fake racism thread. Offseason tbh.

here's one for the salty stan that 1 starred this thread without giving a single counter argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaten
    All I want to know from the Wilt fans is if this is factually correct?

I'm 32, obviously I wasn't around and to be frank I don't know ho I could rate some who played 20 years before I was born.

Don't care about Wilt one way or the other, my only question is in regards to these sequence of events.

Nevermind the details, like the quote of the coach and so on, did the events transpire as OP is saying? Was his team down double digits with 5 mins left? Had the lead been trimmed to 1 when he asked to be put back in the game?
    The 4th quarter of the final game of the series is uploaded on youtube.

See for yourself:
    1969 Finals 4thQ

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    The 4th quarter of the final game of the series is uploaded on youtube.

See for yourself:
    1969 Finals 4thQ

Exactly. Completely blows away the nonsense in the OP. Thank you.

1. The Lakers were down by 17 points with about 10 minutes left.

2. They began to mount a comeback against an aged Celtic team that was fading fast.

3. The incompetence of "The Butcher" Van Kolff was on display early and often, not only throughout the entire series, but evidenced in the 4th quarter footage. Early on Russell picked up his 5th personal foul, and the Lakers immediately went into Wilt, who went right around the "matador" defense of Russell (ever notice how Russell quit playing defense with five fouls BTW), for an easy lay-in. Instead of milking that strategy, VBK went back to the shot-jacking of Baylor.

4. With a little over six minutes left, Chamberlain grabbed a defensive rebound, and his outlet cut the margin to nine points. However, he injured his leg on the play, and was in obvious pain.

5. Boston came down, missed yet another shot, and again, a one-legged Chamberlain grabbed the rebound, his second on the injured leg...which BTW...equaled Russell's total in his 12 minutes of play in the entire 4th quarter (Wilt had seven in his seven minutes of play BTW.) Wilt's outlet led to a shooting foul on West, and LA took a time out to get Wilt off the floor.

6. West, made both FTs, and the lead had been cut from 17, down to 7, in a little over four minutes of play. Clearly, the Celtics were ripe for the taking. Sam Jones had fouled out earlier, and an embarrassed Russell was nowhere to be found the entire 4th quarter (watch the footage...he did absolutely NOTHING in that last period.)

7. With Boston hanging by a thread, and LA CONTINUING their comeback, Chamberlain asked VBK to go back in with about three minutes left. The idiotic "Butcher" refused...and it basically cost him his coaching career, and the city of LA their first-ever title.

8. Instead, VBK stuck with the great Mel fukking Counts, a player who had shot poorly the entire game (4-13), and who would miss a key shot late, and then commit a horrific turnover with less than a minute remaining.

9. Don Nelson hit a miraculous shot late to ice the game...in a two point Boston win.

10. For the game, Chamberlain, playing 43 minutes to Russell's 48, outscored Russell, 18-6; outshot Russell, 7-8 to 2-7 from the field; outscored Russell from the line, 4-2; and outrebounded Russell, 27-21.

11. Oh, and West, while certainly playing brilliantly, still missed two key FTs in the 4th quarter (four overall), and missed more shots from the field, than what he would make (he shot 14-29 from the floor.)

12. Subtract Russell's 2-7 from the field, and Chamberlain's 7-8 from the floor, and Russell's teammates outshot Wilt's from the field by a ...get this... .477 to .360 margin....in a two point win!

-wilt did average 11 ppg in or very close to his prime
    -he didn't ring with jerry west going ham FMVP and with elgin baylor still playing good
    - they were HEAVY favorites and they lost
    -bill russell equaled him in production at 35 yrs while being shorter, less athletic, significantly older in ball terms, weaker, fukked less hoes , etc.
    -wilt tried to pull an injury and then begged his coach to be let in the game when other people did the work
    -coach told wilt that he has better options, niggga should sit his ass on the bench, away from the cheerleaders who were working.

"Elgin Baylor still playing good?"

Baylor had three straight games of 4-18, 2-14, and 4-13 shooting from the field (and in that 2-14 game, he went 1-5 from the line, as well,...in a one point loss.) AND, in that game seven, he blew chunks all over the floor with an 8-22 performance (remember Wilt and his 7-8 FG/FGA?)

"Bill Russell equaled in production at age 35?"

Russell was not only awful in the entire game seven (and completely MIA in the 4th quarter), as always against Wilt, he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn...shooting .397 in the series (Wilt shot .500 BTW.)

Chamberlain outscored, badly outrebounded, and badly outshot Russell in that series. As for Wilt's diminished scoring, ...just take a look at that game seven footage. He never got the ball. Baylor and West were shot-jacking the entire series. BTW, in the game three 111-105 loss, Baylor AND West combined to shoot 1-14 from the field in the 4th quarter. So even West was not without his faults in that series.

And speaking of West...instead of blaming Wilt for that series loss...how about blaming VBK's "strategy?" Obviously, as well as West played, that "strategy" was not successful. Why didn't VBK ask his teammates to get the ball into Wilt's hands more?

Wilt's "faked injury?" Now I ask YOU...if Wilt did "fake" his injury....why did he wait until six minutes were left, and the Lakers were in the process of mounting a furious comeback? Why didn't he pull up lame late in the third quarter, when he picked up his fifth personal foul, and with his team seemingly dead and down by 17 points?

BTW, Chamberlain would injure that SAME leg early on in the very next season, and it would require MAJOR KNEE SURGERY.

Oh, and Russell, who ripped Wilt for pulling himself out of that game (remember Russell missing two full games of the '58 Finals with an ankle injury BTW...in a 4-2 series loss?)...later apologized.

Even Wilt's own hated coach, Van Breda Kolff claimed that Wilt was injured. Why would that jack-ass make that comment if it weren't true?

As for VBK...when West found out later that VBK had not put Wilt back in the game after Chamberlain had asked to go back in...he went ballistic. VBK, knowing full well that he was going to be fired...immediately quit, and his NBA career would be over in a couple of years.

No question,...the '69 Finals were Wilt's worst. He played poorly in game four, (albeit, he was still better than Russell in that game), and poorly in game six. But to blame him when VBK and Baylor made so many gaffes is ridiculous.

Of course the Wilt-bashers will always bring up the '69 Finals. They really can't blame Chamberlain for any other series in his 28 other playoff series (they will try, but they will be blown into the water.)

And again, this was a Wilt who put up a 25 rpg series, and as always, just pounded Russell on the glass. ONLY Chamberlain would get drilled for that.

Wilt did get his "revenge" though. With new head coach, Bill Sharman, Chamberlain anchored the '71-72 Lakers, which would go 69-13 (including 33 wins in a row), and then carried them thru the playoffs, and to their first-ever title in Los Angeles...and en route winning the FMVP. BTW, how about West in that post-season? He shot a putrid .376 in the entire post-season, and then topped that with a .325 Finals. And yet Wilt STILL led the Lakers to a dominating title.

Where were the "bashers" that year?

BTW, the greatest Finals "choke job" by a Top-10 player was Kobe in the '04 Finals, when he single-handedly took his "heavily-favored" Lakers down in flames with one of the worst shooting performances in Finals' history.

And his '08 Finals against the Celtics has to rank right there, as well.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    Wilt is definitely better at womanizing than he is at basketball.
    West was great at womanizing too, although maybe not as great as Wilt.

West was playing thru injuries too that postseason. Incredible series he played.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

37.5% FT

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    37.5% FT

Shaq won a ring while shooting .387 from the line in a Finals.

Russell won rings while shooting .356 and .361 from the FIELD in two of his playoff runs. (BTW, he also failed to win rings in post-season runs in which he shot .360 and .365.)

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    6. West, made both FTs, and the lead had been cut from 17, down to 7, in a little over four minutes of play. Clearly, the Celtics were ripe for the taking. Sam Jones had fouled out earlier, and an embarrassed Russell was nowhere to be found the entire 4th quarter (watch the footage...he did absolutely NOTHING in that last period.)

This is where you show your true colors. Russell was horrible in scoring, those 2 pathetic post moves he showed was cringe worthy. But he wasn't useless, far from it actually, he played great defense. He was setting picks, getting rebounds, contesting shots.

Of course since those things don't get measured by stats the stan in you will say he didn't do anything.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

barely over 10 points per game with 37.5% FT

damn don't do em like that GOAT

Last edited by TheMarkMadsen; 09-25-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    37.5% FT

Did you see Wilt's first free throw attempt in the 4th Q? It's like he didn't even aim for the shot, just threw the ball towards the ring. Worst FT shooter of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal

This is where you show your true colors. Russell was horrible in scoring, those 2 pathetic post moves he showed was cringe worthy. But he wasn't useless, far from it actually, he played great defense. He was setting picks, getting rebounds, contesting shots.

Of course since those things don't get measured by stats the stan in you will say he didn't do anything.
    Defense doesn't matter since it can't be measured by stats.