Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Are we ignoring the chance the spurs might....

Actually improve again next season..

I mean it seems that because they won the championship people here are just assuming that they peaked last year.. I'm not totally sure that's the case and here's why

This team has been steadily improving the last three seasons.. Why can't they do it again? Most people use the argument they are getting too old... But I think that argument has passed the point of being relevant... If that was the case wouldn't the spurs be regressing the last few seasons instead of improving? I know Duncan and manu are old but it seems in this system they can still be very effective..

The improvement of this spurs team is due to their young talent improving..
    Leonard while his stats last couple of seasons have not improved greatly at first glance.. He has become far more efficient on offense and improved dramatically on defense.. I see no reason why he wouldn't improve on both ends of the floor next season.. He is no where near his peak yet..

Danny green is entering his peak now.. Absolutely letal from 3 point range as good as anyone in the league.. Over the last couple of years his man to man defense has improved a lot.. Now being one of the better man to man defenders in the league .. His release has gotten much faster and in the finals seem he could add a nice tear drop move to his offense. Again I think he is capable of improving next season too

Boris diaw while not in his prime had his best year as a spur last season... With his unique skillset it seems he is improving as his chemistry with the spurs roster improves over time.. Another year of developing chemistry within the team.. He also could improve next season again

Patty mills omg did this guy explode last season.. He will miss the first few months but has plenty of time to get it right before the playoffs.. Played with a significant injury most the season and age wise just starting the enter his prime.. This kid still has improvement in his game as his tenacity, lethal 3 point shooting and ability to bother people on defense was a key this year..

Tiago splitter is an interesting one.. His has his weakness for sure but what he can do he has developed that very well. His finesse under the basket is superb now . His defense against dirk and Aldridge in the playoffs was a key for the spurs.. His is in his prime now but he is still capable of improving his game..

Marco bellinelli didn't have a great playoffs .. His defensive rotations were too slow and could be because he needs more time in this spurs team to improving his understand of their rotations and plays.. He is very capable and I would be surprised if he didn't get better next season with more time in this team

Corey Joseph is very young but has showed he has talent.. Great defensive pg and capable of some explosive offense moves if he can develop them... Another year and getting more playing time while patty is out.. I expect him to get better this year...

Duncan/manu/Parker.... Yes I know they are getting older.. But that has been spoken about for years and the spurs are getting better..
    Can we just assume they peaked?? How can we accept that before seeing the team decline?? Maybe we are going to see one of the really special teams next year..

Any thoughts??

Default Re: Are we ignoring the chance the spurs might....

Everyone always sleeps on the spurs. If it weren't for Ray Allen's miracle three pointer, Spurs would have had back to back championships..... yet nobody talks about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kamil
    Everyone always sleeps on the spurs. If it weren't for Ray Allen's miracle three pointer, Spurs would have had back to back championships..... yet nobody talks about it.

Banned

I predict Tony Parker will end next season with 5 rings and 2 FMVP's

those stats sound familiar?

Local High School Star Megabox!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kamil
    Uhh what makes you think the Spurs could've won back to back if they would've won in 2013? That loss in 2013 made them the dominant team we saw in the 2014 finals, they were motivated.

kyle anderson is a perfect fit in san antonio

Spurs are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    Spurs are done.
    this guy

Quote Originally Posted by Megabox!
    Uhh what makes you think the Spurs could've won back to back if they would've won in 2013? That loss in 2013 made them the dominant team we saw in the 2014 finals, they were motivated.
    uhh because they won it in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    uhh because they won it in 2014.
    LOL, clear as mud, huh?

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toxicxr6
    Actually improve again next season..

Leonard ...

Danny green...

Boris diaw...

Patty mills...

Tiago splitter....

Marco bellinelli....

Corey Joseph...

Any thoughts??
    Other than Manu/Timmy/Parker, the other guys you listed are nothing special except for the high potential of Leonard. The only reason why they sound so good is because they play for the Spurs.

You could list a slew of any above average IQ roleplayers and then say "Spurs" and they would sound good. I think that's why people don't talk about the Spurs. We know what to expect. It doesn't matter what roster they field, so long as they have Pop and Buford at the helm, they are going to compete, and it's gotten redundant.

Basketball Genius

the "next generation" of spurs will be born.

patty mills with kawhi leonard and tiago splitter as well as boris diaw and corey joseph will take the league by storm in the post-duncan-parker-ginnobli era.

Duncan said it best when he told the reporters how hard was to regain and keep that focus for so long after such a devastating finals loss the previous season. They will need another season of good health for their core and the role players to raise their games even higher to get to the finals again.

Jokic Stan

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    I predict Tony Parker will end next season with 5 rings and 2 FMVP's

those stats sound familiar?

Time for the Dubs to get payback for 2013