Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: guys who averaged more points than Tim Duncan ever did in any single season

when are we as educated basketball minds going to admit the fact that duncan choking was the deciding factor in the 2013 nba finals.

not ray allens shot

the series wasnt over yet

this was to tie the game. the title was every bit as possible in game 7. and duncan blew it in buckner type fashion.

honestly.. whats the difference between this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18caPNisP2U

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T4ZUK-NFKc

Local High School Star

Default Re: guys who averaged more points than Tim Duncan ever did in any single season

Both slam-dunk top 10 players, but if we're gonna argue stats why not argue advanced stats too? Duncan has a decisive edge in win shares, wins produced, RAPM, and PER. Ditto for the playoffs.

With that said I would take Kobe for a single playoff game or series. But they're very close in the all-time rankings. Foolish to argue otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    9. Michael Jordan* 34.98 1987-88
    This one was 35.0 ...

Funny, I don't see Bill Russell, Magic Johnson, and Kevin Garnett in this list...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Funny, I don't see Bill Russell, Magic Johnson, and Kevin Garnett in this list...
    russell averaged 25 rebounds, blocked around 10 shots a game and won 11 titles to make up for his deficiencies

magic johnson was a point guard

as for garnett... i don't really understand why you're bringing up some dude who isnt top 20 let alone top 10 all time

but yeah. scoring aint everything. i agree. but it is HALF THE GAME

5 rings, 3 FMVP, 2 MVP

>

5 rings, 2 FMVP, 1 MVP

No matter how many awards or first team accomplishments regular season warrior Bean has which you continue to spam, Duncan is greater.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    5 rings, 3 FMVP, 2 MVP

>

5 rings, 2 FMVP, 1 MVP

No matter how many awards or first team accomplishments regular season warrior Bean has which you continue to spam, Duncan is greater.
    It's quite telling that Kenny is intensifying his Duncan vs. Kobe spam efforts since Duncan won his 5th ring and is still going strong, while past his prime injured Bryant killed the Lakers for the forseeable future with a ridiculous contract.

Dude is just insecure as f*ck

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    5 rings, 3 FMVP, 2 MVP

>

5 rings, 2 FMVP, 1 MVP

it aint just about accomplishments. theres a reason why we put wilt over guys like magic/duncan/shaq/kobe

well kobe in comparison to duncan is like wilt being compared to russell... if wilt also had 11 rings

get my drift?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    But again, it's really not.

Duncan has better prime stats than Kobe. I posted them. It's irrefutable. It's a fact ingrained in basketball history.

No amount of switching years / solely focusing on the regular season will change that.

Duncan has:

-Better stats
    -Better advanced stats
    -More FMVPs
    -More MVPs
    -More All-Defensive Teams

Kobe has:

-More All-NBA Teams
    -More All-Star selections
    -More All-Star MVPs

In b4 you address one part of the post because you have no answer.
    sorry i dont buy it. advanced stats saying "catching a ball bouncing off the rim a few feet by standing under it 5 more times a game because you're 7 inches taller and play 3 positions closer to the rim is more difficult than scoring 15,000 more points and 2000 more assists while being 5 years young"...

take your advanced efficiency sh*t somewhere else LOL

and LOL @ you listing "more defensive teams"

kobe has more "BEST defense at your position awards ( i.e. 1st teams )

duncan has a few more SECOND best defense at your position awards...LOL ( i.e. 2nd teams )

which is funny cause duncan could make F/F/C and kobe could only make G/G

btw... LOL@

2001 4-0 sweet vs spurs

kobe = 33/7/7 on 51% fg's

2002 4-1 vs spurs

kobe = 26/5/5 on 45% fg's

2003 2-4 vs spurs

kobe = 32/5/4 on 43% fg's

2004 4-2 backdoor sweep vs spurs

kobe = 26/6/6 on 46% fg's

2008 4-1 vs spurs

kobe = 29/5/4 on 53% fg's

combined thats

18 wins - 8 losses

4 series wins - 1 series loss

29.2ppg, 5.6rpg, 5.2apg

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

lol this thread is basically a way to prove the obvious..... Kobe > Duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin

sorry i dont buy it. advanced stats saying "catching a ball bouncing off the rim a few feet by standing under it 5 more times a game because you're 7 inches taller and play 3 positions closer to the rim is more difficult than scoring 15,000 more points and 2000 more assists while being 5 years young"...

take your advanced efficiency sh*t somewhere else LOL

and LOL @ you listing "more defensive teams"

kobe has more "BEST defense at your position awards ( i.e. 1st teams )

duncan has a few more SECOND best defense at your position awards...LOL ( i.e. 2nd teams )

which is funny cause duncan could make F/F/C and kobe could only make G/G

btw... LOL@

2001 4-0 sweet vs spurs

kobe = 33/7/7 on 51% fg's

2002 4-1 vs spurs

kobe = 26/5/5 on 45% fg's

2003 2-4 vs spurs

kobe = 32/5/4 on 43% fg's

2004 4-2 backdoor sweep vs spurs

kobe = 26/6/6 on 46% fg's

2008 4-1 vs spurs

kobe = 29/5/4 on 53% fg's

combined thats

18 wins - 8 losses

4 series wins - 1 series loss

29.2ppg, 5.6rpg, 5.2apg

Done it again. Forget advanced stats. Raw stats are still better. You've avoided that one this whole time.

Since second teams / second bests don't count, Duncan is automatically ahead of Kobe: 3 Finals MVP = three rings as best player. Kobe has 2. Also, Duncan never made a Defensive Team at Center. He was an F every time, so he has two spots like Kobe. In fact, it's a hindrance because he may have gotten some votes as an F and others as a C.

99: 29/11/3/3

01: 23/12/4/4

02: 29/17/5/4

03: 28/12/5

04: 21/12/3/3

08: 22/17/5/2

Wow, who knew listing series stats would be this easy?

Quote Originally Posted by NZStreetBaller
    lol this thread is basically a way to prove the obvious..... Kobe > Duncan.
    You said you didn't know who Robinson was, meaning you didn't watch prime Duncan or Kobe.

How can you have any clue as to who is better?

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Is this what happens when you lack father figure and role models as a kid, and eventually grow up to lack self-esteem as a result?

You spend hours blindly defending some guy who doesn't know you exist, because you like his game and think you can identify with them?

It makes you feel better to think that your hero is better than he really is?

What a sad reflection on society.

It's not a knock on Kobe as a basketball player just because he is not as great as Tim Duncan, and that Duncan had the better peak as well.

Kobe is still great.

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    You said you didn't know who Robinson was, meaning you didn't watch prime Duncan or Kobe.

How can you have any clue as to who is better?
    Read the thread. Kenneth makes a very good argument. seems pretty damn obvious to me.......

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer Bell
    Is this what happens when you lack father figure and role models as a kid, and eventually grow up to lack self-esteem as a result?

You spend hours blindly defending some guy who doesn't know you exist, because you like his game and think you can identify with them?

It makes you feel better to think that your hero is better than he really is?

What a sad reflection on society.

It's not a knock on Kobe as a basketball player just because he is not as great as Tim Duncan, and that Duncan had the better peak as well.

Kobe is still great.
    The thing is, I have no problem with someone picking Kobe. He's an alltime great.

But when his fans make anti-[insert player name] threads because they don't like the amount of shine they are getting, it becomes a little sad -- it really makes the cool Lakers fans on this board look bad.

Thread got shut down as soon as those Magic and Russell mentions came in. OP just had to deflect from that though because it doesn't suit his little agenda.
    Last edited by T_L_P; 09-20-2014 at 07:14 AM.