Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Is This Proof That "Team" Ball Is Overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBe

it seems like every team that isn't able to rely on that one player to consistently bail them out at the end of games in the post-season is struggling mightily at the moment.
    Anyone can copy strategy, so it always turns into a stalemate (see Warriors and Hawks copying the Spurs).. But individually-unique skill or talent can't be replicated and is therefore more sustainable in the long run than strategy..

In today's game, teams have finished climbing the learning curve of today's spaced-out game - they've caught up to where the Spurs were at, so now it's coming down to who has the more skilled PLAYERS - with optimal strategy settled, that's where the value-add will be from now on.

In previous eras, the value-add HAD to come from the players.. The lack of spacing reduced the likelihood that ball movement would get an open shot - so there were no bird-fed positions like today's 3-and-D wings or D-and-dunk bigs.. ALL of the players in previous eras resembled the higher level individually-unique skill seen by the guys who've taken over these guys playoffs (Zach, Gasol, Pierce, etc).
    Last edited by 3ball; 05-10-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Banned

For all the rules changes and what not,

In the play-offs, things are generally the same as they've always been

Defenses can be more physical, I've seen plenty of hand-checking defense out on the perimeter that would be called in the regular season... For this reason, being able to defend with more energy, tightness and physicality; shooters are not scoring as efficiently. The Miami Lebron drive and kick offense worked because having Lebron and Dwyane, two of the best slashers of all time, afforded their shooters with more space and comfort to knock down shots. San Antonio the last few years were just offensive perfection, and they exposed Miami's defensive scheme... They just moved the ball so fast....

Golden State really don't have a real elite slasher...They get their open looks from great coaching and offensive sets... Which is fine, but due to the nature of playoffs officiating, doesn't work as well as in the regular season.

I guess what I'm saying here is that... You need superstars to win. One that is either a dominant post presence or an elite slasher that can put his team on his back and keep them afloat when the calls aren't going their way or shots aren't falling

The Hawks have not been playing team ball though. They have been going 1 on 1 every play and disregarding ball movement.

The Warriors have great ball movement but Curry and his dumb shot selection are the problem. He needs to take those retarded off the dribble 3s out of his arsenal quickly.

Local High School Star scott0326's Avatar

Yep, wizards just rely solely on Paul Pierce

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Who said stars can't play team ball?
    What?

I didn't say they couldn't. I said that it usually takes all nba type players within any system to win.

I don't think the Hawks, for example, are winning...and it's not the system they have that is the problem. I don't think they have enough star type players that can take over games.

Even with the Spurs, Duncan and Leonard were both all nba type players that could take over and dominate games (at least defensively)...

You want to win the NBA title. It almost always takes a superstar or star, an all nba type player, and a quality head coach.

Very rarely, if ever, do teams win without some combination of that.

You need a TEAM with top talent.

Anyone that thinks the Grizzles and Cavs don't play team basketball is a true moron.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Anyone can copy strategy, so it always turns into a stalemate (see Warriors and Hawks copying the Spurs).. But individually-unique skill or talent can't be replicated and is therefore more sustainable in the long run than strategy..

In today's game, teams have finished climbing the learning curve of today's spaced-out game - they've caught up to where the Spurs were at, so now it's coming down to who has the more skilled PLAYERS - with optimal strategy settled, that's where the value-add will be from now on.

In previous eras, the value-add HAD to come from the players.. The lack of spacing reduced the likelihood that ball movement would get an open shot - so there were no bird-fed positions like today's 3-and-D wings or D-and-dunk bigs.. ALL of the players in previous eras resembled the higher level individually-unique skill seen by the guys who've taken over these guys playoffs (Zach, Gasol, Pierce, etc).

NBA is about 20 years behind the offensive strategy in Europe.

NBA All-star

You set the play with 3 routes for your WR to run. HOW he runs it and where he runs is all based off of the defenders reaction. All while the QB ought to know to look where.

All this without audibles.

#

Quote Originally Posted by SourSamCassell
    For all the rules changes and what not,

In the play-offs, things are generally the same as they've always been

Defenses can be more physical, I've seen plenty of hand-checking defense out on the perimeter that would be called in the regular season... For this reason, being able to defend with more energy, tightness and physicality; shooters are not scoring as efficiently. The Miami Lebron drive and kick offense worked because having Lebron and Dwyane, two of the best slashers of all time, afforded their shooters with more space and comfort to knock down shots. San Antonio the last few years were just offensive perfection, and they exposed Miami's defensive scheme... They just moved the ball so fast....

Golden State really don't have a real elite slasher...They get their open looks from great coaching and offensive sets... Which is fine, but due to the nature of playoffs officiating, doesn't work as well as in the regular season.

I guess what I'm saying here is that... You need superstars to win. One that is either a dominant post presence or an elite slasher that can put his team on his back and keep them afloat when the calls aren't going their way or shots aren't falling

That's strange, because according to ESPN, Curry is basically the best point guard ever...............