Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: If Memphis is built for the playoffs, why haven't they gone all the way?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    they haven't had a consistent go to scorer, they definitely are built for the playoffs but in close games they don't know what they want to do
    It's like one of those cheap ass entry level jeeps. Dude could say "It's built for off road." It might even perform better off road than on the street, but it's not like it's choice number 1 when you want da bess.

So, I think they are built to be BETTER in the playoffs. I don't think they are a championship team build at all. BUT I could eat that this year, I guess. It's not impossible that they win or go to the Finals, but I don't see it.

They are gritting GSW, but GSW is really playing bad... beyond 'shut down' bad.

I watched some of the end, and they got some calls in the 4th. If they could only make some plays, they had plenty of chances, but they are kinda shook atm. I still think they (GSW) are gonna win.

I think Memphis is an opponent nobody can take lightly and that's what people mean by built for playoffs. I think they have some holes when discussing contenders.

-Smak

Default Re: If Memphis is built for the playoffs, why haven't they gone all the way?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieG
    beat Spurs when fully healthy but when beating one, the other one would get them.

The play on the NBE, and they have no starpower.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Because there are other good teams in the league too
    Yea...

Long as there is more than one team "Built for the playoffs" some of them wil lose.

Not winning a ring in a 5-6 year period...when you never had a team that should have...isnt really something to be mocked over.

It doesnt prove any way of playing misguided. It just proves there are a lot of great teams. Which is why most great teams...never win.

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKreager
    The reason I started this thread is because I'm growing tired of the narratives.

Barkley's gonna crow about this tomorrow, but again, this way hasn't guaranteed titles.

And if it's all about Live and Die by the 3, why even shoot threes in the first place?
    If you're extremely well at threes...like the greatest ever, why not take your chances?

the revisionist history from last year's OKC/Grizz series

Also, KD's legendary "36 and 10" game 6

dude had 26 on 8-19 42% after 3 quarters, then proceeded to pad the shit out of those numbers in a blowout.. he was just, really really bad, man... that whole series minus game 1 (decent) and game 7, good...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    the revisionist history from last year's OKC/Grizz series

Also, KD's legendary "36 and 10" game 6

dude had 26 on 8-19 42% after 3 quarters, then proceeded to pad the shit out of those numbers in a blowout.. he was just, really really bad, man... that whole series minus game 1 (decent) and game 7, good...

I remember in a regular season game vs Bron in 2013, Durant was getting blown out and had like 20 points after 3 quarters.

Once LeBron rested, KD statpadder and got FT's till he reached 40 points, even though he was down 20

The guy literally is the king of statpadding

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by AussieG
    beat Spurs when fully healthy
    If we ever beat you without Gasol, Zbo or Conley I don't want to hear any excuses.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Memphis is one of the rare teams in today's game that has been together forever and has gotten good through experience playing together rather than talent, similar to the Spurs.

But in previous eras, there were many more super-experienced teams like Memphis, since there was less free agent movement and team-hopping - in the 90's, the Jazz, Pacers, Sonics, Knicks, Houston and Bulls all made the Finals based more on experience than talent (the Sonics a little of both).

But today, these ultra-experienced teams (like Memphis) occur less often.. Similar to the 80's, today's league is more top-heavy in terms of talent, allowing for "dynasties".. But in the 90's, the talent was more evenly distributed throughout the league and teams competed more evenly with each other.. For example, the 1998 Western Conference playoffs had Robinson/Duncan, Shaq + 3 all-stars, Malone/Stockton, and Payton/Kemp/Schrempf - they all battled it out in one conference to make the Finals.