Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: Does Blake Griffin have GOAT potential?

Quote Originally Posted by The Nets
    Scoring maybe, but it does not explain the decline in his rpg especially when Jordan was pretty much averaging the same rpg as he did in Griffin's rookie season(clearly not because of Jordan stealing his rebounds). Also incase you havent noticed, Griffin's FT% was also his career best in his rookie season. So ppg, rpg and FT% all declined since his rookie season, it is just because he suddenly had better teammates? Let's face it dude, Griffin is done, its time to ship him out before he becomes 14/6 player in his 5-6th year. When that time comes, you know there's no team interested in taking his contract any longer.
    Stop trolling and just be glad the Nets will be the 7 seed this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Stop trolling and just be glad the Nets will be the 7 seed this year.
    Wow whats that from dude? I never insulted the Clippers, they are a good team. Just need to get rid of that overrated trash, hopefully getting Love or Aldridge in return so you can win a title?

Do you think with Blake's skillset, athleticism and fast start to his career that those guys are ANYWHERE near out of reach? 20/10/3+ career player plus a couple rings, maybe a finals MVP and 15 all star appearances and people will believe it.
    Off course their not out of Griffin's reach.

Everything needs context though.

All-Star appearances are a given, but who's ranking Chris Bosh over the likes of Chris Webber and Kevin McHale for more or equal all-star appearances ?

Mentioning rings (something that really needs a lot of context), could I see him winning Finals MVP ? Sure, but it would be like a Paul Pierce or Tony Parker-esque MVP, he wasn't the best player for that team. It will still be Chris Paul. He makes that team go. More credit will be going to Paul, even with Griffin's potential Finals MVP and even that's not a guarantee.
    :
    Skillset wise, I can see Griffin compete with the majority of the Top 10:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...97&postcount=3

PF
    1. Tim Duncan - #9
    2. Kevin Garnett - #16
    3. Karl Malone - #17
    4. Charles Barkley - #18
    5. Bob Pettit - #20
    6. Dirk Nowitzki - #22
    7. Dolph Schayes - #38
    8. Kevin McHale - #40
    9. Elvin Hayes - #44
    10. Dennis Rodman - #50

Pettit and Schayes are pioneers, so can really mention what they would do today. Rodman wasn't a great offensive threat but could do everything else possibly better than Griffin outside of scoring. McHale could do everything outside of passing perhaps better than Griffin too (rebounding against Bird and Parish, there weren't many rebounds available, but still got close to 9-10 a game).

Which brings up another point about being the Top guy. Outside of Rodman and McHale, majority of those guys were considered the best player on their team for a long stretch of time. This is where ranking Griffin will be tricky, because he is the #2 on his team.

Now, could he be that exception as a #2 option on his team, like say... a Kobe Bryant to Shaq in their championship years... where Clippers could win a back to back and Griffin puts up 25-12 in those years ? Then yes, that should be looked at as impressive. Thinking about it more, it's not impossible, just a lot of things have to go right. Once he proves himself in the playoffs as a potent force, then the talks of Top 5-10 PF should get stronger.

Touching upon 15 all-star selections, I don't see Griffin that durable. Perhaps 9-10 and unless he has a much more polished skill-set, I don't see him getting that many nominations. He's also missed a full season because of injury and it could happen again.

I don't give a shit who laid the foundation. A better player is a better player and pioneering something doesn't matter in the ranking of talent/production. BTW I do feel Blake can become better than Paul if he hits his max potential. Both have top 5 all time potential at their positions.

I don't give a shit who laid the foundation. A better player is a better player and pioneering something doesn't matter in the ranking of talent/production. BTW I do feel Blake can become better than Paul if he hits his max potential. Both have top 5 all time potential at their positions.
    But reality is that he keeps declining since his rookie season, how can he ever become better than Chris Paul?

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

In December Blake is putting up 22 ppg, 10 rpg, 4 apg and 2.5 spg to go with a block and elite efficiency. Not many games but he's finally healthy and doing all of this damage in 30 minutes a game due to blowout wins lately. Bottom line is Blake two weeks ago was arguably not a top 5 PF, let alone 2 but currently is playing like the best PF in the NBA.

Even if he's only a top 4-5 PF this year... we have to remember PF is easily the 2nd most loaded position in the NBA after PG so nothing to be ashamed of. Dude is a 20/10/3 career player at only 23 so with as much as people criticize him he's not overrated. Maybe overhyped early in his career but that's not his fault.
    Yeah what exactly in the op can be considered trashing griffin?

Please quote my op and bold the part where I trash griffin

I quoted the wrong post but you said the op was made to trash griffin

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Yeah what exactly in the op can be considered trashing griffin?

Please quote my op and bold the part where I trash griffin

I quoted the wrong post but you said the op was made to trash griffin
    I explained it. You intentionally mock Griffin by using the word GOAT in the title when clearly Griffin isn't and will never be the GOAT. You just manipulated the situation and I felt like you worded it in a way where obviously everybody was going to piss on Griffin.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Nets
    The way he played in his rookie season sure shows GOAT potential, unfortunately he has been declining season after season. Its almost incomprehensible, but guess thats what it is. His first season had something like 22/12, then it became 20/10, this season it was barely 18/9. If the trend continues, it wont take him more than 3 seasons to become a complete mediocre player. If I were Clippers FO I'm going to trade him while he still has value, it is like a falling stock that you better get rid of earlier than later.

But seriously, can you name another player who has been declining since his rookie season? Evans maybe?
    It's amazing when ppl say that when Griffin is actually better than he was when his rookie season. Simple numbers =/= better player. His defense is better, jumpshot is better, and doing this while playing less minutes too. No question he is better, it just that he isn't the first option and they are playing more team ball.

SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

He's actually been suffering a lot in the offense employed by Chris Paul. But the leash around his neck is wearing out and he's getting better and better and some day it's going to explode and he's going to dominate. For people that said Chris Paul would make Blake Griffin...it's been more like the opposite tbh although it's been looking better recently.

#unleashgriffin
    Last edited by BEAST Griffin; 12-13-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    It's amazing when ppl say that when Griffin is actually better than he was when his rookie season. Simple numbers =/= better player. His defense is better, jumpshot is better, and doing this while playing less minutes too. No question he is better, it just that he isn't the first option and they are playing more team ball.
    Much less shots, minutes and WAY more weapons around him. Some people just can't apply even basic logic to basketball discussions.

SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

And how exactly is he overrated? Is he overrated by everyone saying he's overrated?

It's like the reverse San Antonio Spurs effect where the key word is usually 'underrated'.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

When Griffin catches fire he is the real thing and no mistake.
    He has the real ability to take over games.
    To me his biggest problems are these:
    Star mentality needs to go away - play freaking ball to compete, not to be an entertainer;
    He's got to figure out Chris Paul's weaknesses and make up for them with his own game;
    Terrible culture surrounding a team that won't even get its own "Forum";

Hes gotta figure out his coach.

why worry about some all time list? Concentrate on those kinds of things and accolades will fall into his hands just like plums

I don't give a shit who laid the foundation. A better player is a better player and pioneering something doesn't matter in the ranking of talent/production.
    Well, that really depends on somebody's criteria, which I'm not going to argue with you on that.

Players like George Mikan, Bob Pettit, Dolph Schayes, etc... are all going to be in the majority of Top 10's for their respective positions. And yes, they did produce, which is why I stated relative to era. I don't know how skilled they could be, but I also said I'm not going touch up on that too much.

BTW I do feel Blake can become better than Paul if he hits his max potential. Both have top 5 all time potential at their positions.
    I could see that too, but that's also going to be thanks to Paul for getting him cleaner looks.

I think Paul has Top 3 potential as well, behind only Magic and Oscar.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy