Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Great college starter

Default Cast your vote on Wilt Chamberlain

With all the empirical, fictional, nonfictional, visual evidence, and first-hand accounts from players that saw and played with The Stilt....With THE ABUNDANCE of information that has been presented by Wilt fans such as Cav and J-Laub (and a couple others).....using your abilities of reasoning and your own 2 set of eyes, would you say Wilt was:

1. An Average Athlete.
    2. A Good Athlete.
    3. A Great Athlete.
    4. An Elite Athlete.

This is in the context of ALL-TIME.

Rivalries Never Die Faptastrophe's Avatar

Default Re: Cast your vote on Wilt Chamberlain

Wilt was an elite athlete/ player. /thread

Of course somebody will bring up the point about would he be the same in the modern NBA. The answer is no, he wouldn't.. but he'd still be an elite basketball player with 20-25% lower averages.

Anyways that's just a game of what ifs.. cause there's no way we can find out how the things would be.

I hope I made this understandable. Grammaticaly and otherwise.. it's 6PM where I live, so sorry if i screwed up in any way.
    Last edited by Faptastrophe; 03-01-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Great college starter

I would also lump Chamberlain in with the ELITE athletes...His numbers shouldn't even be a part of that discussion. How many 7-footers in league history had his physical tools?? I'm talking TRUE 7-footers, not 6-10, 6-11 guys in thick shoes.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Relative to his size hes one of the great athletes ever. So elite if you qualify it that way. He was a 7'1'' 265-300+ pound guy doing things in track that in some cases wouldnt have put him dead last in those events in the olympics.

But hes not all time elite minus the qualifier of his size. I doubt anyone over the 6'7'' range could be.

Jevale McGee
    Last edited by Deuce Bigalow; 03-01-2012 at 11:45 PM.

nuber 3

Local High School Star

4. Anyone thinking anything else has salad dressing for brains

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Jevale McGee

And what type of athlete are you saying then.

Elite athlete.
    Decent player.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    And what type of athlete are you saying then.
    Javale dunked on 2 hoops at once in the Dunk contest last year...or was that last year? maybe '10

Great college starter

Javale dunked on 2 hoops at once in the Dunk contest last year...or was that last year? maybe '10

That's fine...but how about you do what the post is about....and cast your vote on 1-4 on Wilt Chamberlain. It's not that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    With all the empirical, fictional, nonfictional, visual evidence, and first-hand accounts from players that saw and played with The Stilt....With THE ABUNDANCE of information that has been presented by Wilt fans such as Cav and J-Laub (and a couple others).....using your abilities of reasoning and your own 2 set of eyes, would you say Wilt was:

1. An Average Athlete.
    2. A Good Athlete.
    3. A Great Athlete.
    4. An Elite Athlete.

This is in the context of ALL-TIME.
    None of the above.

5. Epic Athlete - All Time.

Wilt was a better specimen that Shaq was. Wilt was a better specimen than just about any athlete from any sport except for that terrifying Russian Wrestler who went undefeated, can't remember his name lol - that guy was shaped differently but between him and Wilt I can't think of a more imposing human form. It's not about his #'s on the Track or the weight room or the basketball court, etc. All of those are certainly well above avg sometimes even spectacular but cherry picking them is not the point at all. It's about all of his athletic feats + the god damn size he was and how he seemed to defy physics by being so athletic as to put smaller people to shame. He was longer than Yao Ming, as massive as Shaq, as durable as Kareem (he just decided to stop playing), and one of the strongest athletes not-specifically-competing-in-weighlifting to ever play any sport.

Can you imagine what he'd do if he'd been disciplined in 1 on 1 spectator sports or contact sports such as: Roman Gladiatorial combat!? Rugby or (American) Football!? Professional Boxer!? etc. In competitions that are physical, especially on an individual basis, he's got no analogue. None. He ran extended marathons into his mid 50's as a 290lb person for Christs sake...
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 03-01-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    None of the above.

Wilt was a better specimen that Shaq was. Wilt was a better specimen than just about any athlete from any sport except for that terrifying Russian Wrestler who went undefeated, can't remember his name lol - that guy was shaped differently but between him and Wilt I can't think of a more imposing human form. It's not about his #'s on the Track or the weight room or the basketball court, etc. All of those are certainly well above avg sometimes even spectacular but cherry picking them is not the point at all. It's about all of his athletic feats + the god damn size he was and how he seemed to defy physics by being so athletic as to put smaller people to shame. He was longer than Yao Ming, as massive as Shaq, as durable as Kareem (he just decided to stop playing), and one of the strongest athletes not-specifically-competing-in-weighlifting to ever play any sport.

Can you imagine what he'd do if he'd been disciplined in 1 on 1 spectator sports or contact sports such as: Roman Gladiatorial combat!? Rugby or (American) Football!? Professional Boxer!? etc. In competitions that are physical, especially on an individual basis, he's got no analogue. None. He ran extended marathons into his mid 50's as a 290lb person for Christs sake...

I'm gonna take that as AT LEAST number 4.....

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    None of the above.

Oh goodness this guy

Great college starter

Oh goodness this guy
    Cast your vote 1-4.