Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Shaq says Yao could have been a top 5 center of all-time

[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Shaq is a funny character in small doses, but I think he

one2
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I would've loved to have seen Yao play on the Lakers instead of Pau.

For Yao to deserve to be in the HOF on basketball merit, he would've had to win at least 1-3 rings, 1-3 finals MVPs, and a couple of season MVPs.

Sorry random comments there was no many Yao threads I didn't know where to post this.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    As much as I love Shaq, he did once say that Iverson was a top 5 player of all time.
    Maybe he consider like that because they gave prime Shaq some trouble?

Yao was able to block his shots and he couldnt dominate him as he did with rest of the league.

Iverson was having crazy games against Lakers always and spoiled 15-0 playoff run in 2001.

Probably for those reasons.Obviously

Also he praises almost every star he played with similar.

I mean, Pippen said Lebron is better than Jordan.. Whatever Shaq says can't be more shocking

Banned

Emphasis on "could have been." The very assets that made Yao a formidable big man were the same assets that doomed him from the start. He needed the size to be a force to be reckoned with but it's that size, and the damage it did to his body, that eventually did him in. Take the size away and it isn't the same player.

As much as I'm pulling for Shaq to be successful in his career following the game, I can't help but think that these sorts of comments, along with the 'underdog wins next year' and subtle jab to the "Big Two" in Miami recently, are just a harbinger of things to come with his analysis. I don't think his bombastic personality, grand gestures and borderline inflammatory commentary will be received well if all he plans to do is use them to make over the top statements left and right. His credibility will take a hit right off the bat.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Nah, he's also complimented Tim Duncan quite a few times.

But yeah, it's a shame we didn't get to see Yao healthy in his prime. I don't think he would've been a top 5 center of all time, but he could've been a top 10 center of all time.
    No could have there, that is a would have.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

This thread has taken a turn towards the funny.

Pat Ewing
    David Robinson
    Alonzo Mourning
    Moses Malone
    Bob Lanier
    Wills Reed
    Wes Unseld( who won mvp in his ROOKIE year)
    Dave Cowens

Yao is better or was projected to become better than THESE guys, who round out top 10 centers lists???

really? based on what?

verylegit
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

shaq kissing a$$

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS

Pat Ewing
    David Robinson
    Alonzo Mourning
    Moses Malone
    Bob Lanier
    Wills Reed
    Dave Cowens

Yao is better or was projected to become better than THESE guys, who round out top 10 centers lists???

really? based on what?
    Yao would have been up there with Ewing had he been healthy, he was already better than Zo ever was in his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Heroic One
    Yao would have been up there with Ewing had he been healthy, he was already better than Zo ever was in his prime.
    the same Zo who was dpoy?

THAT Zo... the one who was a force on both sides of the ball and who played with the heart of a marine?

THAT Zo?

(your race),PLEASE

Decent playground baller

the same Zo who was dpoy?

THAT Zo... the one who was a force on both sides of the ball and who played with the heart of a marine?

THAT Zo?

(your race),PLEASE
    Zo was the better defender and that was about it, Yao was a legit offensive center, you know, a guy you can run your offense through. Yao would have been up there with Ewing had he been healthy and he definitely would have won an MVP at some point.

7-time NBA All-Star

Pat Ewing
    David Robinson
    Alonzo Mourning
    Moses Malone
    Bob Lanier
    Wills Reed
    Dave Cowens

really? based on what?
    Definitely give me Yao over Unseld. Don't know much about Lanier, but I'd definitely predict Yao minus injuries would have been better than Cowens and Reed as well.

He obviously wasn't the defender that Robinson, Zo or Ewing were, but he may have had more potential as a scorer, certainly more offensive talent than Zo.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Definitely give me Yao over Unseld. Don't know much about Lanier, but I'd definitely predict Yao minus injuries would have been better than Cowens and Reed as well.

He obviously wasn't the defender that Robinson, Zo or Ewing were, but he may have had [COLOR="Red"]more potential as a scorer[/COLOR], certainly more offensive talent than Zo.

more potential as a scorer than Robinson or Ewing?

I'm done.

Good High School Starter

Pat Ewing
    David Robinson
    Alonzo Mourning
    Moses Malone
    Bob Lanier
    Wills Reed
    Dave Cowens

really? based on what?
    Don't know about guys who played in the 70s and before, but **** Ewing, Zo, and Robinson. If we are play the what if game, and we are comparing the fictional healthy Yao to those guys, Yao is definitely better. Zo is too short and unskilled, Ewing was a gimpy jump shooter, and Robinson was soft. Fictional healthy Yao is better than all of them.

Banned

I'm done.
    Yao would of been better then Ewing and Zo but not Robinson we are talking about Healthy Yao who would of reached his prime but Injuries is part of the game and Yao being a Injury prone I dont think he would of Never got to that level but Yao at Best would of Cracked Top 10 if he got to finish his career.

But I like the fact that ur really looking down on Yao. You should go do ur hw.

7-time NBA All-Star

I'm done.
    I said, may have had more potential as a scorer.

Even with the new rules, which in particular hurt a center like Yao, in the second half of 2005-2006, he averaged 26/12 on 54% from the field and 88% from the line. And that's with his last game that he left after only 8 minutes which brings those numbers down. That's a pretty significant 25 game sample size and that was at only 25 years old in his 4th year in an injury-plagued year.

He started off the next season being mentioned as one of the top MVP candidates averaging 27/10 on 52% from the field and 86% from the line in his first 26 games before going down with another injury.

That's at 25/26 years old with injuries interrupting his progress.

Is it really ridiculous to say he could've been a better scorer had he been able to have a real prime from age 27-30? He was 7'6", had bulked up and become a formidable inside player with a great hook and fadeaway which were almost unblockable, very good footwork and good mobility/athleticism for his size. You couldn't foul him because he shot free throws as well as guards like MJ and Kobe, but you couldn't really guard him one on one by that point.

Ewing was a monster scorer around '90/'91, and he's one of my favorite players of all-time, but he had his flaws as well, particularly for his extended prime.

Robinson was a freak athlete, had one of the best faceup games I've ever seen from a center due to his mid-range shot and ability to take other centers off the dribble and no center ran the floor better, but he's an overrated scorer. His back to the basket game was never great and it's probably why his scoring dropped so much in the playoffs.