Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How would Paul's legacy change if he were to win a ring?

I don't get why he'd get ranked over Isiah. He does nothing on the court definitively better than Isiah. And the stats are equal at best. Isiah has the hardware and leadership skills.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Is he really gonna leapfrog Oscar and Isiah?
    I'm saying he'd be top 4, def not #1, but he you can make a valid argument imo for #2-4, depending on preference. I'm not 100% saying he's not #2, but I can see why people would put him there.

Peak CP3 basically had 0 weaknesses, aside from maybe inconsistent 3 point shooting. People forget he was actually really clutch before he lost his burst. I think he's had some bad breaks in his career, from the New Orleans ownership group (too long of a story to delve into), to his knee injury, etc. I think if he was in the East all these years, he'd have the sort of deep playoff runs that would build his resume. Of course, he's botched games over the years on some big stages, too. Not absolving him of blame, but he does just about everything you need in a PG.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Magic & Isiah win rings with this current clippers team, would easily be favorites if swapped for Paul

Banned

just equal to a tim hardaway

Banned

gary payton is just one hurdle

1. Will always be a flopper
    2. Will never win a ring
    3. The fmvp thing is hilarious

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

I still can't see what's preventing the Clippers from getting deeper in the playoffs. What are they lacking?

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    I'm saying he'd be top 4, def not #1, but he you can make a valid argument imo for #2-4, depending on preference. I'm not 100% saying he's not #2, but I can see why people would put him there.

Peak CP3 basically had 0 weaknesses, aside from maybe inconsistent 3 point shooting. People forget he was actually really clutch before he lost his burst. I think he's had some bad breaks in his career, from the New Orleans ownership group (too long of a story to delve into), to his knee injury, etc. I think if he was in the East all these years, he'd have the sort of deep playoff runs that would build his resume. Of course, he's botched games over the years on some big stages, too. Not absolving him of blame, but he does just about everything you need in a PG.
    Yea as of now he's right there with Stockton. Stockton has just as much of a case; at least as of now. Magic, Isiah, Big O, Stockton/Paul. I would definitively say that Paul has leapfrogged Nash and Kidd. If he got a ring/finals mvp then he's top 4.

CP3 make it out of the second round??
    Clippers win a title??

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    I still can't see what's preventing the Clippers from getting deeper in the playoffs. What are they lacking?
    Defense this year.

Last year it was IQ.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

If Paul actually led the Clippers to a title and won a FMVP then I would have no problem viewing him as a top 3 PG of all time.

Getting through the stacked Western Conference is no easy task. If he managed to pull that off then clearly he would've raised his game to a new level in the post-season, which is the only knock against him in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Tking714
    I don't get why he'd get ranked over Isiah. He does nothing on the court definitively better than Isiah. And the stats are equal at best. Isiah has the hardware and leadership skills.
    Because Isiah straight up admitted that he thinks CP3 is a better player than him, on TV.

Sometimes the fates never align to let a guy win a chip. I sincerely hope he at least makes a conference finals. There is literally no knock on CP3's game that I'd consider valid. Bast passer, best ball handler, and point guard defender for YEARS now. Best midrange shooter in the league. Top-5 finisher at the rim for his position.

Is it because he's short that people don't take him seriously? Because he actually uses that to his advantage. Hard to shake him with screens because of his low center of gravity, hard to stop his dribble because he gets so low. His stature actually opens up his off the dribble game in very entertaining ways. He does things with the ball that you will rarely see done if you watch the NBA your entire life.

The clippers need a wing defender. Or a really good defensive scheme to cover up the lack thereof with their ridiculous big athletecism. Doc is overrated in that aspect, because he benefited from having Thibs at his side in Boston.
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 03-21-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Good college starter

He does nothing on the court definitively better than Isiah
    You've got that backwards.

Good college starter Noob Saibot's Avatar

you will see more Cliff Paul commercials, that much is certain.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Right now he is probably the best pg of his overall era (individual years he may not be the best but generally he's always in the top 3). The difference a ring would make would depend on how he got the ring but there's nothing he could do to make me think he was on par with Magic or Oscar Robertson. A great finish to his career including a Finals MVP champ ring makes him vs. Isaiah Thomas a discussion but right now to me he is lumped in with a bunch of guys behind Magic, Robertson and Thomas.