Default 1963 NBA Finals G6, Lakers squad full individual player highlights:

All players that scored over 6 points/made a major contribution to the game:

First off here's the official game by game boxscore's of the 1963 NBA Finals including G6 (this website has all the tracked stats, more than just bball references "points"):
    http://webuns.chez-alice.fr/finals/1963.htm

One thing I noticed right off the bat. The statistics these players were given did not line up perfectly with the game film. I can only presume due to the fact that there wasn't a "team" of statisticians like today, nor a film review of the game afterwards that lots of stats that aren't so obvious FG/FT/Pts etc like rebounds and assists sometimes got overlooked or miscredited. So in the videos I asterisked the stats that I counted on film, and put in parenthesis the stats the players were actually credited with. For example Baylor was credited with 8 rebounds 8 assists, but I counted on film 9 rebounds and 6 assists. Likewise with West, he was credited with 7 rebounds 9 assists but I counted 9 rebounds and 11 assists.

Jerry West - started at guard played 44 minutes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yrZLMLo5PQ

Elgin Baylor - started at forward and played some guard, played 47 minutes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZVa_gAwgL4

Rudy LaRusso - started at forward with Baylor played 42 minutes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sl9mYV77uU

Gene Wiley - started at center played 36 minutes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbFMR0rbq8o

LeRoy Ellis - played forward off the bench for 19 minutes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PMV1UUHsQ

Dick Barnett - played guard off the bench for 24 minutes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORUcbpYt7M

One thing is immediately obvious watching this Finals game with a close eye. The Lakers had little to no depth compared to the Celtics. Only 2 players from this game didn't make the highlights cut for the Lakers. Frank Selvy had a bad game, 3 points though he did dish a few assists and get a few rebounds - and through his limited production you could sort of see he was a skilled/good player just having a really off night.

Jim Krebs, played back up center to Wiley for 12 minutes and was eaten alive by Russell, made almost no contributions this game. Actually watching him on film he looked like a liability. Wiley wasn't making much impact on the offensive or defense ends himself (compared to Russell) but he could at least rebound at a decent enough rate.

So basically only 6 players carried the Lakers that 6th game. The Celtics, you will see in my next thread/series of highlights had more depth and balance.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 03-16-2015 at 01:35 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: 1963 NBA Finals G6, Lakers squad full individual player highlights:

LeBron wouldn't get out of the bench rotation for committing too many traveling violations

Great effort, I'm particularly interested in reading these unofficial stats (steals, blocks), along with the adjusted assists' figures and their corrected rebounding numbers.

PS. I love the noice of the croud.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Great effort, I'm particularly interested in reading these unofficial stats (steals, blocks), along with the adjusted assists' figures and their corrected rebounding numbers.

PS. I love the noice of the croud.
    Yeah that crowd is electric. I was under the impression the early LA Lakers needed help filling the seats but maybe that was like 1959-60ish maybe by 1963 they had already established a fan base with how exciting Elgin and West were. Plus it probably helps that it's a championship game.

It also helps that the vast majority are probably true, passionate fans instead of like 40% of them being L.A celebrities/millionaires, spending most of their time on their iphones, twittering, taking stupid selfies, etc.

Oh hell yeah, personally love the stuff you're uploading as of late. Haven't had a chance to check these videos in particular, but the All Star games were fantastic. When I get the chance today I'll definitely have a decent chunk of my time vanish

It's starting to feel a whole lot more like an Archive.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Oh hell yeah, personally love the stuff you're uploading as of late. Haven't had a chance to check these videos in particular, but the All Star games were fantastic. When I get the chance today I'll definitely have a decent chunk of my time vanish

It's starting to feel a whole lot more like an Archive.
    I'm glad some people do, I thought it'd be a good idea particularly because my docu-highlights take so long to make and my channel goes through long dry spells between them but I've lost well over 100 subscribers since I started uploading these highlights as opposed to my +10 gains a day I usually got before trying to upload player highlights. I've been in the negative in growth the past 2 or 3 weeks. It's like I've annoyed my initial docu-highlight audience I had built up is all I can imagine.

Brent Barry just followed me on twitter and told me "great idea man" yesterday and you and a few other people here and on my channel have seemed to enjoy them though so w/e I'll keep doing it I feel like it's a good idea. This way a wider variety of players will have a chance to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I'm glad some people do, I thought it'd be a good idea particularly because my docu-highlights take so long to make and my channel goes through long dry spells between them but I've lost well over 100 subscribers since I started uploading these highlights as opposed to my +10 gains a day I usually got before trying to upload player highlights. I've been in the negative in growth the past 2 or 3 weeks. It's like I've annoyed my initial docu-highlight audience I had built up is all I can imagine.

Brent Barry just followed me on twitter and told me "great idea man" yesterday and you and a few other people here and on my channel have seemed to enjoy them though so w/e I'll keep doing it I feel like it's a good idea. This way a wider variety of players will have a chance to be seen.

Haha they probably got pissed at the flood of videos, buT they don't matter. If all they want to see is the big name stars from that era they aren't real fans IMO. Keep up the good work

You should ask Brent if his dad has any footage of himself he could share for the channel....Rick seemed like the type that would record himself and keep his games