Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: Is Michael Jordan really the best player of all time?

I think it is also tough to imagine a 5 as GOAT for younger guys as the 5 spot is so shit right now and the NBA is ruled by 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Anyone GM picking Russel, Duncan or Jerry West over Jordan deserves to lose his job
    And if they pick Sam Bowie?

Seriously, MJ is the sole reason the nba is so popular right now. They changed the rules to have people (guards) play more like him. can you say Revenue
    He won 6 titles that's pretty important for a gm too

And as for best player: as said earlier he's a guard, 6'6. So as for skills, he's the most dominant non-center ever.

Quote Originally Posted by CeoTypeDoe619
    Greatest of course because that takes achievements into count. But best player is a whole another story.
    Hypothetically speaking, If there was a draft with all the all-time greats and Gm's knew exactly how all their careers would pan out to how they really did. Who would be the number 1 draft pick? Shaq? Kareem? Jordan? Wilt? I have a hard time believing any GM would pick Jordan over these guys to start a franchise
    When picking the #1 guy, a GM need to think about chemistry for the rest of the team. Unfortunately, Jordan as good as he was, was not a good team chemistry player. A lot of his teammates hated him and it's well known that he has a pretty destructive personality to say the least. Pippen and Phil were the counterbalance to his personality. Put him with people like Shaq or Wilt and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Default Re: Is Michaehl Jordan really the best player of all time?

[QUOTE=RaceBannana]No he is not.... But he is the consensus best player. if you ask someone who hasn

Yup. Best of his era and best of all time. Then again, with a name like CEOtype619, the OP probably never watched much Jordan (in person or tv) to even have a legitimate argument. I mean, look at his posts. Dude is probably 16-18 years old.

Saw a basketball once

Absolutely the best playa eva (unless you are a Lakers fan, then it's Kobe of course).

7-time NBA All-Star

Both Jordan and Kareem have a good case, IMO. Right now, I have Jordan ranked number 1 all time, but that's partially because I haven't seen that much of prime Kareem. The following games are the only full games I've watched Kareem play.

1970-1971 regular season game, Milwaukee vs New York
    1971-1972 regular season game, Milwaukee vs Los Angeles
    1977 playoffs Warriors vs Lakers game 6
    1977 playoffs Lakers vs Blazers game 2
    1977 playoffs Lakers vs Blazers game 4
    1979-1980 Lakers vs Clippers regular season
    1979-1980 Lakers vs Celtics regular season
    1979-1980 Lakers vs Suns regular season
    1980 Finals Lakers vs Sixers Game 1
    1980 Finals Lakers vs Sixers Game 5

Maybe when I see every game available of prime Kareem(particularly pre-1980), I'll be able to judge a little better.

I don't understand the argument here anymore. From a GM's standpoint it should be no question when you consider finances. Jordan's track history not only involves numerous championships, but pretty much sell outs at every game, attention where-ever he went. A GM is ultimately a profit-seeking job, and Jordan is the best combination of winning and financial profits.

Is he the best player of all time? I think so, but of course it's arguable.

From a GM's standpoint though, Jordan is the clear winner.

anyone who says jordan is the goat clearly hasnt seen jr smith play

NBA rookie of the year

He's the best of all time because he has a nice piece of pie of all the major categories

- Individual stats/scoring: Obviously all the scoring titles and the highest ppg average in NBA history speaks for itself.

- Championships: Can't argue with 6 rings and 6 NBA Finals MVPs.

- Offense: Obviously he was dominant there.

- Defense: A regular on the NBA All-defense team and won Defensive Player of the Year, so he has a claim there too.

- Team Profile: Besides the 6 rings, Jordan was also on the 95-96 Bulls that won an NBA record 72-10.

- Longevity: Was dominant well into his 30s.

- Clutch Ability: Again obviously one of the greatest clutch performers in NBA history.

If you put Magic/Wilt/Russel/Bird/Oscar against Jordan in all those categories, they may beat him in one or two, but I think Jordan is the only one that comes out as very strong in all categories.

Wilt had the individual stuff, but not as many titles. Magic and Bird had titles and team profile, but weren't as good defensively as Jordan, nor could they score at his ppg. Russell had more titles but wasn't as individually dominant and couldn't score nearly as much.

Jordan is the closest to an NBA player without any weaknesses. He could score at will, defend well, won tons of titles, led the Bulls to a 72 win season (among several other great seasons), there was almost nothing he couldn't do on the basketball court.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Both Jordan and Kareem have a good case, IMO. Right now, I have Jordan ranked number 1 all time, but that's partially because I haven't seen that much of prime Kareem. The following games are the only full games I've watched Kareem play.

1970-1971 regular season game, Milwaukee vs New York
    1971-1972 regular season game, Milwaukee vs Los Angeles
    1977 playoffs Warriors vs Lakers game 6
    1977 playoffs Lakers vs Blazers game 2
    1977 playoffs Lakers vs Blazers game 4
    1979-1980 Lakers vs Clippers regular season
    1979-1980 Lakers vs Celtics regular season
    1979-1980 Lakers vs Suns regular season
    1980 Finals Lakers vs Sixers Game 1
    1980 Finals Lakers vs Sixers Game 5

Maybe when I see every game available of prime Kareem(particularly pre-1980), I'll be able to judge a little better.
    It still doesn't do it justice, not following year after year, no knowing what's going to happen. That's the thing younger kids will never know about Jordan, for example Jordan last shot as a bull, a kid who was born now sees that play now, and to them it's just another highlight, but to a person watching it live, following NBA and the playoff it's a much different perspective. 2 minutes left in the game with no idea what's going to happen in such a big stage. A kid watches it now and it could be a pre season game for all they care. It will happen to all players. Look at how Lebron is dominating now. He's so athletic but doesn't have the grace of a Jordan. He's so raw, and I can imagine future 20 year olds talking about how the Lebron Kobe generation was weak and un athletic because of the way James dominated.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    He's the best of all time because he has a nice piece of pie of all the major categories

- Individual stats/scoring: Obviously all the scoring titles and the highest ppg average in NBA history speaks for itself.

- Championships: Can't argue with 6 rings and 6 NBA Finals MVPs.

- Offense: Obviously he was dominant there.

- Defense: A regular on the NBA All-defense team and won Defensive Player of the Year, so he has a claim there too.

- Team Profile: Besides the 6 rings, Jordan was also on the 95-96 Bulls that won an NBA record 72-10.

- Longevity: Was dominant well into his 30s.

- Clutch Ability: Again obviously one of the greatest clutch performers in NBA history.

If you put Magic/Wilt/Russel/Bird/Oscar against Jordan in all those categories, they may beat him in one or two, but I think Jordan is the only one that comes out as very strong in all categories.

Wilt had the individual stuff, but not as many titles. Magic and Bird had titles and team profile, but weren't as good defensively as Jordan, nor could they score at his ppg. Russell had more titles but wasn't as individually dominant and couldn't score nearly as much.

Jordan is the closest to an NBA player without any weaknesses. He could score at will, defend well, won tons of titles, led the Bulls to a 72 win season (among several other great seasons), there was almost nothing he couldn't do on the basketball court.
    Simple, but best Jordan argument I've heard so far.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Rashard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spoonhoops
    Absolutely the best playa eva (unless you are a Lakers fan, then it's Kobe of course).
    I'm a Lakers fan and I dont agree with the above statement at all. Magic will always be the greatest player of all time to me.

CeoTypeDoe619
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Kellogs4toniee
    I don't understand the argument here anymore. From a GM's standpoint it should be no question when you consider finances. Jordan's track history not only involves numerous championships, but pretty much sell outs at every game, attention where-ever he went. A GM is ultimately a profit-seeking job, and Jordan is the best combination of winning and financial profits.

Is he the best player of all time? I think so, but of course it's arguable.

From a GM's standpoint though, Jordan is the clear winner.
    Just from winning standpoint. Who will bring the most success to your franchise without needing the most stacked team. If we add financial profit your correct its obviously Jordan. The man had kids on welfare saving up 200$ to buy a pair of his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    So no gm would pick jordan over jordan?

have you ever made a post that wasn't dumb?
    Lol. You're such a fool. smh

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    well, although this thread is beating a dead horse and is agenda-fillled, at least respect the OP, who is normally a ridiculous troll, from putting Kobe on that list

And although you have a point that some GMs would take Shaq or Kareem, I think Jordan still gets picked by some.
    LOL. What a cute response
    Last edited by CeoTypeDoe619; 05-07-2010 at 04:40 PM.

NBA rookie of the year ashbelly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    Their opinions doesn't matter, but if you ask most fans who watched the NBA since the 80s they would pick Jordan, [COLOR="Red"]heck if you ask most NBA players who saw him play they would pick Jordan, [COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]including Kobe.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleChuck
    [COLOR="Red"]That guy wants to BE Jordan. Nuff' said.[/COLOR]