Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is Michael Jordan really the best player of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by zizozain
    i understand that you saw Russell, Kareem and Wilt ??
    I've said many times that I only compare players that I saw play. But I would still pick Jordan over them, but not based on my opinion, but on the opinion of players and annalist who did see them play, like Bird and Magic. I do think the 80s and 90s were better than the 60s in terms of skills, but it's all relative and I find Russell's championships more impressive, but then again I really didn't see that era to really have an opinion.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by zizozain
    there is nothing such '' best player of all time ''
    Coming from someone who thinks an 8 game sample is enough to crown a player "Best Road Player Ever."

He is the arguable best player of all time with 3-4 other players.

Personally I pick Jordan, however there is nothing wrong with the other choices, you all know who they are.
    Last edited by Leviathon1121; 05-07-2010 at 10:56 AM.

I rule the local playground

no, there is something wrong with the other players.

when wilt played at his peak, it was like shaq v. brian scalabrine most night.

russell was a dominant force but same criticisms as wilt.

larry and magic would be my 4-5.

Of course he's the best. All of the other people the OP mentioned are CENTERS. MJ was a GUARD and dominated like that. Craziest sh*t ever. Doesn't even make sense really.

Quote Originally Posted by CeoTypeDoe619
    Who would be the number 1 draft pick? Shaq? Kareem? Jordan? Wilt? I have a hard time believing any GM would pick Jordan over these guys to start a franchise
    So no gm would pick jordan over jordan?

have you ever made a post that wasn't dumb?

Not airballing my layups anymore KABIRC's Avatar

Michael Jordan is one of the biggest icons of ALL TIME, not just in Basketball in the world as well. You could ask anybody in the 90's off the street who Michael Jordan was, and they would ALL know who he was. Of course Wilt, Shaq, Lebron, Kobe, and the list of greats goes on and on and on. Of course they were and are ALL great players but still they can't live up to MJ's status in basketball, no matter how good they are or were.

College star

why would'nt they pick jordan over those guys? he proved he could score at a high percentage, his midrange game was one of the best ever, he was good on d, he was very athletic, he could pass/rebound, he loved playing under pressure, and he was one of the greatest playoff performer in nba history. i don't see why they wouldn't, the only reason i could think of is that he isn't a 7 footer.

A legit argument for GOAT can be made for any of Jordan, Wilt, Russell or Kareem.

There's no such thing as "undisputed" GOAT.

Value Ape.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

well, although this thread is beating a dead horse and is agenda-fillled, at least respect the OP, who is normally a ridiculous troll, from putting Kobe on that list

And although you have a point that some GMs would take Shaq or Kareem, I think Jordan still gets picked by some.

Quote Originally Posted by momo

I like that... (edit, although a hater could totally draw something to 'complete' that picture.)

But the way I feel about MJ is he isn't the best because he can't do it like Bron or Shaq where they take an absolutely garbage team and turn them into a contender. But once you already have a bit of talent (not a lot, either, just a decent amount) he becomes the best because he knows how to choke people out. He can choke a whole team out.

So, if I was going to build a team I wouldn't say "MJ!" with my first pick, but if it's like... who would I want as my primary scorer I'd say Jordan.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by CeoTypeDoe619
    Greatest of course because that takes achievements into count. But best player is a whole another story.
    Hypothetically speaking, If there was a draft with all the all-time greats and Gm's knew exactly how all their careers would pan out to how they really did. Who would be the number 1 draft pick? Shaq? Kareem? Jordan? Wilt? I have a hard time believing any GM would pick Jordan over these guys to start a franchise

I understand your point, because centers are generally viewed as a better franchise builder than a guard or forward. However, I can't see how you would really have a hard time believing a GM would pick Jordan? Some GM's would surely go for one of those centers you listed above, but theres also so many reasons why one would pick Jordan over them.

The man defied all standards, and my first sentence was just that : a statement of generalization. Jordan defied the general odds. For a guard, he shot above 50% (Center range), played amazing defense, stepped it up in the playoffs unlike any other, proved that you could build a ridiculous franchise without a dominant big, had amazing durability, and did all of these things on an annual basis. Last of all, people are forgetting one of the most important priorities on a GM's list. What are we missing?

Well... lez start with FINANCES. Anywhere he went, stadiums immediately sold out. Can you imagine the immense cash flow GM's and owners would reap from having him on there team? The city itself would generate so much profit, and this would only be magnified if he went to an upbeat city like New York, L.A, or Chicago. Commercials, ads, articles, it would put your team on the map. From a GM's standpoint, this can not be ignored.

So seriously... is it still that hard to believe?

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathon1121
    Personally I pick Jordan, however there is nothing wrong with the other choices, you all know who they are.
    Mo Cheeks?

why live??

You could basically pick any of the top 10 players. They all have their case.

Jordan
    Russell
    Abdul-Jabbar
    Chamberlain
    Magic
    Bird
    Robertson
    West
    O'Neal
    Duncan

I don't know if that's the top 10, but those guys all have relevant arguments for GOAT.

Anyone GM picking Russel, Duncan or Jerry West over Jordan deserves to lose his job