Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Anyone else notice this trend?

When a young All-Star or Superstar is in their prime, some people make threads comparing their peak to past players, and 70-80% of the posters always take the past players. It isn't until the current superstar player who is aging and almost retiring that people step back and realize how good their career was.

Example: James Harden right now is having a ridiculous season, I would say you can put him in the same sentence as a peak Clyde Drexler, but alot of people would have a hard time accepting that.

Or when Steve Nash was winning MVPs, most wouldn't dare put him on the same level as say John Stockton, now that Nash is retired people have no problem making that comparison.

Why is that?

I remember I made a thread around 2009 or 2010 comparing current LeBron James to a peak Dr. J and I was shocked to see how many people took Dr. J, now most people accept that LeBron is on a higher level.

Default Re: Anyone else notice this trend?

Absolutely true. People don't like to accept that what they're seeing now can really be true greatness for some strange reason. When did AI put up a string of triple double like Westbrook is right now? But if you ask people then "AI Was on another level".

Banned

Nostalgia at its finest.

Trust me when LeBron retires people will finally realize he's much better than that guy who's 1-9.

Some revisionist going on. Guys like LeBron and Kobe had heards of basketball fans claiming they were either GOAT or that older players were inferior due to a "weaker league".

College superstar VengefulAngel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    When a young All-Star or Superstar is in their prime, some people make threads comparing their peak to past players, and 70-80% of the posters always take the past players. It isn't until the current superstar player who is aging and almost retiring that people step back and realize how good their career was.

Example: James Harden right now is having a ridiculous season, I would say you can put him in the same sentence as a peak Clyde Drexler, but alot of people would have a hard time accepting that.

Or when Steve Nash was winning MVPs, most wouldn't dare put him on the same level as say John Stockton, now that Nash is retired people have no problem making that comparison.

Why is that?

I remember I made a thread around 2009 or 2010 comparing current LeBron James to a peak Dr. J and I was shocked to see how many people took Dr. J, now most people accept that LeBron is on a higher level.
    Perhaps it's due to the fact that we can judge past players on their entire careers and judge factors such as longevity. With players who are still playing we can't determine how their game will translate as they age. Plus, cross generational comparisons aren't an exact science, almost impossible to determine how certain player's would play in different eras.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Some revisionist going on. Guys like LeBron and Kobe had heards of basketball fans claiming they were either GOAT or that older players were inferior due to a "weaker league".
    In general I have never heard anyone call LeBron & Kobe the GOAT and I've only heard the 60's being called a weak era consistently. You have alot of posters who believe the NBA was at its best in the 80's & 90's.

Old guys just don't like the idea of people they grew up watching being surpassed. Same case with Jordan fans when it comes to Kobe.

In general I have never heard anyone call LeBron & Kobe the GOAT and I've only heard the 60's being called a weak era consistently. You have alot of posters who believe the NBA was at its best in the 80's & 90's.
    Lol, now you've got two people saying that in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    Nostalgia at its finest.

Trust me when LeBron retires people will finally realize he's much better than that guy who's 1-9.
    Keep dreaming funboy

I'm gonna call bullshit. I was around in 2009, and this forum was littered with Kobe/LeBron=GOAT talk.

I'm out in LA, and post 81, there were diehard morons who swore up and down Kobe was better than Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Lol, now you've got two people saying that in this thread
    Trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Trolls.
    Exactly.

People are always dumb enough to take them seriously.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    I'm gonna call bullshit. I was around in 2009, and this forum was littered with Kobe/LeBron=GOAT talk.

I'm out in LA, and post 81, there were diehard morons who swore up and down Kobe was better than Jordan.
    It always amazes me how stupid most people are in regards to basketball knowledge outside. Most of the time I watch a game at a bar or something, or talk to some random person about the NBA and it's LeBron this, Lakers that. They probably can't even name all the teams in the NBA, or connect their conference affiliation, or they can't place a random player with a team, or don't even know any of the role players or basic NBA rules.

What the **** are you watching when the game is on? Blankly staring into the tv? Doesn't make sense.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

2/5

Yeah it's nostalgia, also then it's too late to appreciate the greatness that was in the making.