Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Default Re: Knicks are one piece away from being a contending team

I like the enthusiasm but this team is definitely more than one piece away.

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    I like the enthusiasm but this team is definitely more than one piece away.
    2 pieces? Enes Kanter and Dion Waiters?

Enes, waiters, singler, Novak
    For
    Afflalo, RoLo,dwill, cleanthony

Okc is way over the luxury tax line. Could they bite ? Afflalo and Lopez "seem perfect" for them don't they?

A Carmelo/KP/Kanter frontcourt could be dangerous. And waiters could be a guard at either spot that has a higher ceiling/impact than Galloway or grant

last years knicks making a cameo these past few games

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

To be a title contender you need to fit into one of the following categories: a team with two "top 5" players at their respective positions (ie. Lakers with Kobe & Shaq), three "top 10 players (Heat teams a few years ago), four or more "top 20" (some GMs/scouts say it has to be top 15; Warriors currently fit this example).

I know you're going to do what everyone (including myself) did when learning this. You're going to try thinking of exceptions to this rule. They don't exist. Look at every title winner and they fit a category. The only exceptions that exist are a small handful of runner-ups.

The newest must-have for a contender (something that I'm currently discussing to see if this is widely agreed on) is that you gotta have a wing/backup PG that can play alongside the starter but defend the opposition's primary handler. With the emphasis on ballscreens in the game today not having a player in this mold on your team guarantees your starting PG will breakdown physically late in the season/playoffs. Extremely conservative math says that the average starting PG will get hit with 1500+ screens over a season. The Clippers have legitimately tracked this for Chris Paul and put his number at 2300+.

I mention all that to say, the Knicks just aren't close. This team is not two role-players away. They are multiple "stars" away. Even if you believe Kristaps Porzingis is a top 20 PF, you still only have two top 20 players. Plus you don't have wing/backup that can defend for your starter.

The team looks closer to contending than it did last season but they are still years away.