Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Sacramento Kings Forum

Sacramento Kings Forum Sacramento Kings forum - Sacramento Kings message board

Old 07-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #31
dleave
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: Kings Summer League

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
Kings/Wiz is on

How bout Caner-Medley full court pressing and running the floor like a gazelle? Not to mention hitting his shots. Not sure there's room on the roster for him, but that was a nice little stretch there in the 2nd quarter.

Hawes is starting to heat up too!
dleave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #32
dleave

Anybody catch the interview with Theus during the game? He hooked me. I'm finally fully on board the choice. He seems to have a great awareness of what went wrong last year and hit the nail on the head about pretty much everything. He also did a great job of both praising his players, but still pointing out what they needed to and were working on in practice.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #33
dleave

A few thoughts on the 2nd game:

-Francisco looked like a man amongst boys.

-While he wasn't hitting today, Hawes already showed a greater variety of offensive moves than Miller.

-All our young bigs looked great. Hawes and Williams looked fantastic, and Watkins, Caner-Medley, and even Smith had solid stretches.

-Mustafa looked like a Steve Blake clone today...not a bad thing in my opinion. Pushed the tempo and played great in your face D. Was having some problems getting around picks though. Also threw a couple SPOT ON half-court lob passes. As long as he's past the maturity issues, I'm digging it.

-I also like what Jeter could bring to the table off the bench. REALLY pushes the pace, but stays under control still for the most part. I wouldn't mind seeing him make the team.

-Douby was solid, but not spectacular. Showed off a bit of his impressive offensive arsenal, but didn't force anything.

I'd really like to see more of Caner-Medley. I was never a huge fan of his in college, but they had him out on the full-court press covering a much smaller man, and he hung with him pretty well. He also was nailing his jumpshots and was one of the first guys up the court every time.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #34
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Yeah I liked what Theus said. He also said that Brad got hella fat, which obviously isn't good. I am thinking Hawes and JWill will see some real PT next year because Brad's lazy, SAR's knee is iffy, and Kenny sucks. He seemed to really like Spencer's game also. I agree that he made some good points about the team's problems last year. And I like the assistants he's hired(Kenny Natt) and the guys he's interviewed. They seem to have a lot of experience.

Hawes needs to stop shooting so many Js in these games. He scored pretty easily in the post but his jumpshot wasn't falling for him. Also should've made that dunk but whatever, he looked pretty tired. His passing ability is pretty nice, he had a good block, and he stayed out of foul trouble.

I really like Shakur. He's a pretty decent defender, tall for a PG, athletic, and he's a good passer. The guy has a lot of talent and he doesn't panic when he gets in a tough spot. He had 5 assists and only 1 TO. He had some really nice passes, especially the one to Cisco in the corner for the 3 that kinda won it for us.

I like Watkins a lot too. Played good D, unfortunately for him his shot wasn't falling today and he missed his 2 FTs.

Justin's a monster. He had a lot of nice blocks, got a double double, and dunked a lot like he usually does. IIRC Reggie said he really likes Justin and just has to teach him some stuff about the game.

I was hoping for Douby to do more. He hit 2 of his 1st 3 and then didn't hit a shot for the rest of the game. He can score on these guys pretty easily but he wasn't aggressive enough. It's understandable I guess considering he was coming off an injury.

Garcia was amazing. Dude was everywhere and there were probably 5 times where he fell pretty hard on the floor and just kept playing. His shot was money throughout the game and he had some nice passes. Also played good D. Only downside is 6 TOs, but a few of them were passes people weren't expecting IIRC so it's all good.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #35
dleave

Haha, yeah, I like how Theus also said he told Brad that he wanted to run the offense through him this year, but if he wasn't ready, they'd find someone else. Not afraid to lay into the vets, nice.

Theus also said he just thought Hawes looked tired today because he's been playing so many minutes during practice scrimmages. His effort was there, the shots just weren't falling.

Yeah, you do recall correctly. Theus said that he loves Williams, but he's been able to rely on his athletic ability his entire life and needs to get the fundamentals/basics down and that that's what they're working on with him in practice.

I agree that Francisco still tries too hard and makes some horrible decisions because of it. I have a hard time faulting that, though, when you can tell that stuff happens because he has a true passion for the game. He can infuriate me like no other player on this team with some of the things he tries to force, but at least he's the one player on the team that you know cares and would do anything to win.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #36
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

Are these games ever on TV? Or do you have to watch them on NBA.com?

What did Theus say about BM being out of shape?
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #37
Perezident
Kings>>>Clippers

did we win the game.....?
Perezident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #38
Targus™
National High School Star

you guys were able to watch the game? wow i had to ****ing work, how is that Mustafa Shakur fella looking? is douby playing?
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #39
dleave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
Are these games ever on TV? Or do you have to watch them on NBA.com?

What did Theus say about BM being out of shape?

Today's was on the NBA channel for DirecTV. The first one I think you had to watch online.

Theus just said that he went to Brad and told him that they were reverting to the old kings offense and that he loved his game and wanted him to run it, but that he was overweight, but is currently working really hard to get in shape. He also said that he told Miller if he wasn't ready, he'd have no problem finding someone else.

Quote:
did we win the game.....?

You know it!

Quote:
you guys were able to watch the game? wow i had to ****ing work, how is that Mustafa Shakur fella looking? is douby playing?

Yeah, I'm one of those lucky people who get to make their own hours and work mostly out of my home so I got to watch the game.

Shakur looked good. Like I said, pretty much like Steve Blake. He's really big for a point, plays in your face man D, makes great decisions and showed some pinpoint passes today, pushes the tempo in a controlled manner...he just isn't the greatest shooter. In college he would force quite a few shots and had some attitude problems in his earlier years, but I haven't seen either of those problems crop up the first two games.

Douby started, hit a couple a 3s, made a nice drive right through all 3 big men, but did that all in the first quarter, then like BM said, didn't do much. He didn't play much, if at all, in the second half though.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #40
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleave
Today's was on the NBA channel for DirecTV. The first one I think you had to watch online.

Does anyone know if any of the games will be televisde on News10 or CSN?
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #41
dleave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
Does anyone know if any of the games will be televisde on News10 or CSN?

I'm not 100% on this, but I think only the NBA channel shows the summer league games every year.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #42
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Nah they're all on the computer or on NBAtv. I've been watching them on my computer.

Quote:
Theus just said that he went to Brad and told him that they were reverting to the old kings offense and that he loved his game and wanted him to run it, but that he was overweight, but is currently working really hard to get in shape. He also said that he told Miller if he wasn't ready, he'd have no problem finding someone else.

Yeah, hopefully he can get in good shape. He used to be a really good defender back in 03-04 and part of 04-05 but then he broke his leg and got out of shape. If he can get in good shape, average like 4 APG and get something like 13/7/4 we should be able to trade him and his awful contract.

Quote:
Shakur looked good. Like I said, pretty much like Steve Blake. He's really big for a point, plays in your face man D, makes great decisions and showed some pinpoint passes today, pushes the tempo in a controlled manner...he just isn't the greatest shooter. In college he would force quite a few shots and had some attitude problems in his earlier years, but I haven't seen either of those problems crop up the first two games.

Nice comparison. He was a pretty calm guy for a rookie PG IMO. He didn't get himself into too many bad situations and he found the open guy. On Saturday he threw a few too many bad passes but today he had a 5:1 A/TO ratio or whatever its called. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking Price is basically gone. I don't think Ronnie fits too well here anymore, we got too many guys in our backcourt+he probably wants a 2-3$ million contract and that'd be over playing. He's kind of the same player as Douby anyway. I like the idea of signing Shakur and letting Price go. Only thing Shakur needs to improve is his shooting but I really like him and I think he has a good chance to make the roster+become a decent role player.

BTW IIRC Theus said that Justin will get a lot of minutes but I'm not sure. So if anyone heard this/thought they heard this also haha? But if it's true I think it's an indication he won't take KT's bullsh!t and SAR is probably gone(I wouldn't blame him if he asked for a trade and I think he might have). Theus has said he wants to play Miller a lot, he's also said he thinks Hawes can contribute immediately. He seems to really like Justin so it would seem like he'll get some minutes. If those 3 are all getting 25-30 minutes then I don't see any time for KT/SAR. SAR deserves to get minutes and Kenny's a loser so I dunno.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #43
dleave

Quote:
Yeah, hopefully he can get in good shape. He used to be a really good defender back in 03-04 and part of 04-05 but then he broke his leg and got out of shape. If he can get in good shape, average like 4 APG and get something like 13/7/4 we should be able to trade him and his awful contract.

Yeah, Theus said he was just out of shape cause he just had a baby and stuff, but that he's working hard to get back in shape.

Quote:
BTW IIRC Theus said that Justin will get a lot of minutes but I'm not sure. So if anyone heard this/thought they heard this also haha?

He said something like: He has great athletic ability and we expect him to contribute heavily, but he's been able to rely too much on his athletic ability and we need to teach him the basics, so that's what we're working on in practice.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #44
Targus™
National High School Star

Quote:
Yeah, Theus said he was just out of shape cause he just had a baby and stuff, but that he's working hard to get back in shape.

He said something like: He has great athletic ability and we expect him to contribute heavily, but he's been able to rely too much on his athletic ability and we need to teach him the basics, so that's what we're working on in practice.

hmm i don't like this. if that's how he plays and he's grabbing 10+ rebounds and 8+ points a game for us let it be what more can you ask for. if you're that athletic you should rely on it as much as you can, they're lazying him into being more like brad.
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #45
BradMiller52
Kings fan

He's probably talking about things like post D, boxing out, fixing his free throws, and getting a move or two in the low post. I'm pretty sure they're not trying to turn him into Brad.:)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: