Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Default Re: The Last of Us is the best game ever made

Quote Originally Posted by 24-Inch_Chrome
    Did anyone say that it wasn't critically acclaimed?

The whole point has been that there is so much more to evaluating a truly great game than Metacritic.
    You're dense, truly.
    I've already given my personal opinion about the game, I explained to you why I consider it great. Just like you did when you were describing what makes BioShock great.

I simply provided all the outside sources as supplemental information.
    You keep mentioning how "metacritic" is irrelevant,
    But why? All it is, is a website that collects and organizes all the reviews from critics and gives a platform for gamers to rate the game.

I've played games that received good scores (85-90) that I hate, and played games with low scores that I loved. So I agree, that it can be somewhat misleading. But what you need to realize is that when I judge a particular game, it is MY opinion. As in, ONE person who didn't like the game. It doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a great game because I didn't like it. That's what I think metacritic does prove. There are games that are rated 90-92 based on the aggregate score from all the critics; and it's far more relevant if there are many reviews (say 60+).

Then, this source is a pretty good indication of the quality of the game.
    That's why I brought that up.
    I also backed my argument with the sales the game generated and the amount of awards it received from gaming websites.

I just love how geeks like you try to dismiss these resources whenever they don't agree with your evaluation of a game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 24-Inch_Chrome
    You were never able to make a good case for Last of Us over any of the ten games I listed. Stay mad.

Stick to the metascores kiddo. It's your world, we're all just living in it.
    Still relevant.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    I can kind of understand west side's argument. He says "TLOU is one of the best games to me", then somebody says "yeah, well that's just you", so as a retort he posts reviews and awards to illustrate that the game is generally looked at as a huge accomplishment and a benchmark.

I mean, the amount of awards it won is kind of unprecedented. It was basically the consensus GOTY in a year when GTA V and Bioshock Infinite came out. Does that mean anything? I don't know, depends who you talk to. If you don't give a shit about critic's opinions, that's totally fine. Skyrim won tons of awards and it's honestly one of my least favorite games that I own.

To act like it isn't one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time is a little dishonest imo. That obviously doesn't mean you have to like it, but lets not try to rewrite history here.
    Don't use quotes when you are saying things that someone didn't say. He said it was the best game ever made. Not the best game to him. He made a blanket statement. People disagreed. He should have worded it like you did and there's no issue. Same with his list of top 10 games, don't make it a greatest of all time list if you are going to admit you've barely played a bunch of systems and you don't like a bunch of genres.

Hey guys, remember when we were having this discussion in a less retarded fashion? Good times.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...302456&page=16

P.S: Question for Heavincent, did you always rate Chaos Theory so highly or did you do some soul searching after I kept bringing it up? (I forget which thread)

I'm going to digress a little here. The way things go, the legacy of TLoU will be somewhat dependent on what ND does with the franchise. It's patently unfair but that's just how people think. Just look at Assassin's Creed. I was reading through some older threads here and other forums I post at, and AC2 was consistently making a lot of people's top 5/top 10 lists from the last gen a good 3 years after it's release. But because of the yearly releases and the way Ubisoft has turned the franchise into an ungodly mess, it's very unpopular to say anything positive about anything AC related.

Luckily, TLoU is in the hands of Naughty Dog, who has already had a GREAT track record in how they treat their IPs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    I'm going to digress a little here. The way things go, the legacy of TLoU will be somewhat dependent on what ND does with the franchise. It's patently unfair but that's just how people think. Just look at Assassin's Creed. I was reading through some older threads here and other forums I post at, and AC2 was consistently making a lot of people's top 5/top 10 lists from the last gen a good 3 years after it's release. But because of the yearly releases and the way Ubisoft has turned the franchise into an ungodly mess, it's very unpopular to say anything positive about anything AC related.

Luckily, TLoU is in the hands of Naughty Dog, who has already had a GREAT track record in how they treat their IPs.
    Happens with a lot of games, you could look at things like sim-city 2000 which would be one of the top sim\strategy type games but it's not cool to like those series any more.

People make fun of the first AC game now but it was amazing at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    People make fun of the first AC game now but it was amazing at launch.
    Absolutely. So many games borrowed from AC, and continue to do so. There was a thread on Reddit recently that talked about AC1 and apparently people still play it to this day with the HUD turned off and the settings turned to max. It was a beautiful setting for a game with a great storyline and experimented with unique gameplay mechanics, and though repetitive, still had some replay value due to the fact that you could approach every kill in a variety of ways.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    Absolutely. So many games borrowed from AC, and continue to do so. There was a thread on Reddit recently that talked about AC1 and apparently people still play it to this day with the HUD turned off and the settings turned to max. It was a beautiful setting for a game with a great storyline and experimented with unique gameplay mechanics, and though repetitive, still had some replay value due to the fact that you could approach every kill in a variety of ways.
    I played AC 1 for ages, i think it burnt me out on most of the series though, honestly, not much has changed since, However i did love Blackflag, which i also played for ages and is probably the reason i haven't played any since.

I think they approached it wrong trying to release one every year like a sports franchise. One every 2/3 years could have worked really well for them.

In the end, this game is on the very short list for my best games ever. Certainly in the top three for this generation with Uncharted 2, and Red Dead Redemption. I'm putting in my original Zelda, Metroid, RE1 and 2, Vice City area as well. It's that good.
    - Thorpe.

One of the most respected posters, said this in the other thread on page 7.
    No surprise, outrage was the only poster that was trashing the game.

Everyone absolutely loved it.

GameTrailers gave The Last Of Us 98.
    Just to put things in perspective, I believe it is the highest score given to the current console game ever (on PS3).

Some notable titles that were reviewed by GameTrailers:

RDR - 95
    Uncharted - 93
    Arkham City - 93
    Uncharted 3 - 95
    Halo 3 - 98
    BioShock - 95
    BioShock Infinite - 94
    The Orange Box - 93

Halo 3 & The Last of Us are the highest rated current gen games according to that site. Pretty impressive.
    By rhytmic thesis, in the same thread.

Yet it has no basis for being considered by some the greatest game of all-time. YAWN.

Banned

You were never able to make a good case for Last of Us over any of the ten games I listed. Stay mad.

Stick to the metascores kiddo. It's your world, we're all just living in it.

Banned

Halo 3 better than this game

15 mil sale on a single console