Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: what happened to glenn robinson?

Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
    Hill, Penny, Kidd.....all those guys wound up in better situations than Glenn Robinson. He was almost always on lousy teams, surrounded by lousy talent. I don't think that he was ever capable of being "The Guy", I always saw him similar to a Shawn Marion, a complementary player, although Robinson was much better at creating his own shot, but worse at rebounding.

Glenn should be THE guy. Then you go out and compile a team with players who can do the rest.

I bet if Glenn had a squad with these type of players:

pg Andre Miller
    sg Ray Allen

pf Haslem or Collinson
    c Camby

He'd be contender.

And yeah, I've been comparing Melo to Gelnn Robinson from day one. And that's not a bad thing. Here's a Purdue video for the doubters:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ_sIJnn86Y

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Round Robin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    I think they took Shawn Respert the next year? BIGTIME bust.....
    I wouldn't actually consider Respert a bust...he had cancer at the young age of 23 and that just drained him physically...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nba&id=1962444

Decent playground baller jerky10's Avatar

He had a good NBA career. His mid-range jump shot is still one of the best among players.

Not airballing my layups anymore zadok's Avatar

Problem was, his nickname did not translate from college to the pro game.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Has everyone forgotten the Cassell/Robinson/Allen team that made the ECF?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Has everyone forgotten the Cassell/Robinson/Allen team that made the ECF?

Sadly, yes. Only 1 win away from the Finals. Glenn Robinson was a good scorer, decent defender, and a pretty good 3 point shot. Even in 17 MPG for the Spurs in '05, he still averaged 10 PPG. He became injury prone towards the end of his Milwaukee run, but still amazingly put up good numbers.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    What? Baker posted his best numbers in Milwaukee and was drafted before Glenn Robinson.
    No crap. If you want to get technical about it, Milwaukee's rebuilding attempts started earlier than that. In '92 they drafted Todd Day and Lee Mayberry and traded for Blue Edwards and Eric Murdock. Mayberry never made a name for himself in the league except as a shooter. Todd Day was a John Starks/Larry Hughes, chucker type, who averaged 12ppg his rookie year, and 16 as a second year guy and then basically disappeared from the league.

And I don't know why you're pointing out Baker had his best years in Milwaukee. I never argued that. Point is, they got rid of him and got crap in return and I think it basically destroyed his career. He was never comfortable in Seattle, was hurt by the trade, and later started suffering depression and turned to alcohol.

Baker/Allen/Glenn was a underachieving trio. No defense. Baker was allright, Glenn was allright, Allen was allright but they all were players who loved to have the ball in their hands and score. Just not the right mix.
    How many seasons did they play together? 1? 2?

Carmelo is just like Glenn Robinson. Both number and style wise. Glenn Robinson gets a lot of heat but people simply forget he was a very good player. It was just him being drafted over Kidd and Hill and gettign a big contract, which is why people diss the Big Dog. Ending up with the Hawks after the Bucks doesnt help your career either.
    Glenn Robinson got screwed out of a lot of things early on. The Milwaukee organization is just a mess. Was then, is now. They never put good building blocks in place around him.

Robinson was one of the few draft selections the Bucks have made EVER that I actually agree with. Robinson was the right pick. He was a great compliment to Baker's game, and he put up solid numbers his whole career from the word "go".

Grant Hill had about 4 good years and then suffered injury after injury.

Jason Kidd went into Dallas and immediately there was a three way disaster with him, Mashburn, and Jim Jackson and they had to basically dismantle one of the most promising young teams in the league. The Mavs didn't really recover completely until a decade later.

Quote Originally Posted by Round Robin
    I wouldn't actually consider Respert a bust...he had cancer at the young age of 23 and that just drained him physically...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nba&id=1962444
    Yeah, good to see you you can read the news. But the fact is Respert was a bust. He bounced around from team to team because a 6'3" shooting guard couldn't make it against the NBA's physical defense of the 90's, and he didn't have the skills to play point guard.

In fact, it didn't even come out that he had cancer until after he was out of the league.

Mathius

Yeah, good to see you you can read the news.

In fact, it didn't even come out that he had cancer until after he was out of the league.

Mathius
    can you read?

And I don't know why you're pointing out Baker had his best years in Milwaukee. I never argued that. Point is, they got rid of him and got crap in return and I think it basically destroyed his career. He was never comfortable in Seattle, was hurt by the trade, and later started suffering depression and turned to alcohol.
    They had to trade Baker though, because at the time he had started talking about going to Boston when his contract was up. And Terrell Brandon and Tyrone Hill weren't that bad. Hill was a 10/10 player and Brandon was a really good PG before his knees gave out. I think he averaged something like 16/8 with Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    He played hard for years. Even with the Hawks he was playing very good.
    Remember the Allen/Robinson drama around then. I even remember Glenn stating he was gonna whip Ray Allen's ass before the game even started.

Mathius has his timeline ****ed up.

People must have short memories if they forget the original big 3 in Big Dog, Ray Allen, and Cassel. He dominated and they were a contender. One win from the finals, and then the following year they were dominating the East until the All Star Break when they inexplicibly fell off the chart and lost the division to the Pistons, which I still can't explain.

Maybe some Bucks fan can fill me in. They were 1st in the division the whole first half and then just tanked. Did they trade one of the 3, becuase I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Mathius has his timeline ****ed up.

People must have short memories if they forget the original big 3 in Big Dog, Ray Allen, and Cassel. He dominated and they were a contender. One win from the finals, and then the following year they were dominating the East until the All Star Break when they inexplicibly fell off the chart and lost the division to the Pistons, which I still can't explain.

Maybe some Bucks fan can fill me in. They were 1st in the division the whole first half and then just tanked. Did they trade one of the 3, becuase I can't remember.

Ray and Big Dog both played in less than 70 games. They were injured for a significant portion while Cassell was injured himself. The following year, Ray got traded for Gary Payton and Dog went to Atlanta.

Seemed like they had a lot of infighting within the big 3 and Karl.

Da Bulls! Da Bears! DieHardBullsFan's Avatar

I think hes been "black balled" out of the league...there is something that he did thats keeping him out....just like JR Rider and Sprewell

how can a guy is a 20 ppg scorer dont get picked up by anyone in the league....

his defense is piss poor but still he can score....and a ton of players in the league right now cant play a lick of defense....