Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default what happened to glenn robinson?

is he still even playing anymore? i haven't heard anything about him in ages. it was meant to be him, kidd and hill. now its just kidd with hill making minor waves.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: what happened to glenn robinson?

Won a ring with the Spurs in 2005 then retired.

NBA lottery pick

Milwaukee screwed the Big Dog. (although possibly Vin Baker is responsible as well) They drafted him and talked all kinds of crap about building a team around him after signing him to the biggest contract in the league at the time (or was it just the biggest rookie contract ever? I forget).

The Vin Baker draft was ok, but they traded him away and his career pretty much went down the toilet after that.

I think they took Shawn Respert the next year? BIGTIME bust. Ray Allen came into town, but took too long to develop. Baker was gone by the time he started putting up good numbers.

They drafted Eric Mobley one year. Hell bent on turning him into the next Shaquille, only to leave him unprotected in the expansion draft. (or maybe they traded him? Hard to remember that long ago)

Then they went after guys like Anthony Mason? Tyrone Hill? Get a clue.

Mathius

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    Milwaukee screwed the Big Dog. (although possibly Vin Baker is responsible as well) They drafted him and talked all kinds of crap about building a team around him after signing him to the biggest contract in the league at the time (or was it just the biggest rookie contract ever? I forget).

The Vin Baker draft was ok, but they traded him away and his career pretty much went down the toilet after that.

I think they took Shawn Respert the next year? BIGTIME bust. Ray Allen came into town, but took too long to develop. Baker was gone by the time he started putting up good numbers.

They drafted Eric Mobley one year. Hell bent on turning him into the next Shaquille, only to leave him unprotected in the expansion draft. (or maybe they traded him? Hard to remember that long ago)

Mathius
    It was the biggest rookie contract I believe. If remember he wanted a $100 million even before he had played a game. He ended up getting a 10 year $60 million contract. Allen wasn't that bad, he was scoring well (13ppg in his rookie year, went up to 19ppg when Baker was traded). Trading Baker got them Terrell Brandon and Tyrone Hill which was decent, although the ended up trading Brandon for Cassell and Tyrone Hill for Tim Thomas. They drafted Tractor Traylor in 99 who ended up being a bust. Then they got to Game 7 of the confernce finals and lost to Philly. They traded for Mason who destroyed the teams chemistry. Then Robinson was traded to Atlanta for Toni Kukoc and a 1st rounder (Who ended up being TJ Ford.)

Banned

Glen had women problems with his ex wife and knee and ankle issues.

This is from 2005
    Robinson is one of many players in the league who are valued for their expiring contracts. Each trading deadline, those players are used as trade bait for teams that wish to lower their salary cap number. For Robinson, his huge, unwieldy contract is a blessing straight from heaven.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Big Dog was a beast, i rated him high in his prime, he was one of the hardest players in the League to guard....

NBA rookie of the year

First 7-8 years he was a great player. Even on the Spurs he was very good in limited minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius

Mathius
    What? Baker posted his best numbers in Milwaukee and was drafted before Glenn Robinson. Respert didn't pan out due to cancer. Never helps.

Baker/Allen/Glenn was a underachieving trio. No defense. Baker was allright, Glenn was allright, Allen was allright but they all were players who loved to have the ball in their hands and score. Just not the right mix.

Carmelo is just like Glenn Robinson. Both number and style wise. Glenn Robinson gets a lot of heat but people simply forget he was a very good player. It was just him being drafted over Kidd and Hill and gettign a big contract, which is why people diss the Big Dog. Ending up with the Hawks after the Bucks doesnt help your career either.

Local High School Star

[QUOTE=bringthetruth]Glen had women problems with his ex wife and knee and ankle issues.

This is from 2005
    Robinson is one of many players in the league who are valued for their expiring contracts. Each trading deadline, those players are used as trade bait for teams that wish to lower their salary cap number. For Robinson, his huge, unwieldy contract is a blessing straight from heaven.

What I can't understand is that this guy was drafted as the 1st overall pick in 1994, but his legacy doesn't seem to be any better than Kidd and Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    What I can't understand is that this guy was drafted as the 1st overall pick in 1994, but his legacy doesn't seem to be any better than Kidd and Hill.
    He was a much better scorer in College and overall was a very nice player. Matter of fact he was incredible in college and even in the NBA he was crazy talented and even lived up to the hype.

Glenn was seen as THE unstoppable player in the draft Kidd was regarded as a huge pg proespect and Hill was seen as a very nice allround player, but Glenn Robinson was a champion, a warrior and always played (and practiced) hard. 30.3 pts and 10+ reb in college? That proves something.

Also Kidd already had off the court troubles involving women if I remeber correctly.

But there you have it, kids look at NBA numbers and question why a player gets drafted higer than some others. Glenn Robinson was legendary as a college player. Kidd and Hill were 'merely' very good.

Quote Originally Posted by John Starks
    Give a link - this is definitely fake.
    The source is clearly theonion or something among those lines.

But there you have it, kids look at NBA numbers and question why a player gets drafted higer than some others. Glenn Robinson was legendary as a college player. Kidd and Hill were 'merely' very good.
    I remember some people getting offended when Melo first entered the league and was compared to Big Dog, when that was actually a compliment.
    Last edited by artificial; 01-11-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Hill, Penny, Kidd.....all those guys wound up in better situations than Glenn Robinson. He was almost always on lousy teams, surrounded by lousy talent. I don't think that he was ever capable of being "The Guy", I always saw him similar to a Shawn Marion, a complementary player, although Robinson was much better at creating his own shot, but worse at rebounding.

He got paid as a rookie and stopped caring.

Quote Originally Posted by vert48
    He got paid as a rookie and stopped caring.
    He played hard for years. Even with the Hawks he was playing very good.