Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Who would you ask to take a back seat on your team: Shaq at 28 or MJ at 28?

Shaq would always be first option, Jordan or no Jordan.

Default Re: Who would you ask to take a back seat on your team: Shaq at 28 or MJ at 28?

Shouldn't it depend on the matchup, who has the greater advantage on any given night? I mean with two GOAT-level offensive options it seems whichever player can better exploit his matchups on any given night should take the lead. As someone else said, the hierarchy should pretty much figure itself out on the court.

Generally speaking though, you should always go with the dominant bigman and work inside-out.

Most cars have two front seats bro

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Most cars have two front seats bro
    only 1 driver

NBA rookie of the year

In a technical sense Shaq actually was the no.2 option in 2001 and 2002 ... Kobe was no.1 on the Lakers for shots.

The other thing is even Shaq would agree he shouldn't be to go to guy in the 4th quarter/close games. Poor free throw shooting and the lack of a go to post move outside of the dunk kinda sealed that deal.

MJ + Shaq would work great IMO, the main problem with Shaq + Kobe was always that their personalities did not mesh.

I think Jordan would rub off positively on Shaq actually, he'd encourage him to play better D and stay in better shape. Shaq-Kobe's relationship was pretty much dead by 2003.

As long as MJ has the ball in his hands in 4th quarter and getting about equal amounts of FGs to Kobe, I don't see the issue.

Kobe averaged 21.9 FGA with Shaq from 2001-2003.

Jordan averaged 23.6 FGA during the first threepeat (largely buoyed by having to shoot more in 92-93, something MJ himself did not like doing but the team wasn't playing as well) and 22.9 in the second threepeat.

Not a big difference. If Jordan + Shaq are basically OK with taking 1 less FGA per game in exchange for winning probably 8+ titles together it would work fine.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 08-15-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Kobelicious

In reality, Shaq would win FMVP, those rebounding stat, FG etc, its unfair to compare it to perimeter player (even though its the goat)

but if im a coach, i would tell him to put his fat ass behind MJ

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

In a technical sense Shaq actually was the no.2 option in 2001 and 2002 ... Kobe was no.1 on the Lakers for shots.
    Shaq was taking 5 more FTs a game and many of those shots don't factor into FGAs. And Shaq would also get fouled on the catch at times without shooting...just to not concede the dunk. And often Shaq would be played through and simply pass out to his shooters. He was given the ball.....the team reacts....he passes. Doesn't mean he wasn't first option on those plays...it means the first option passed when it made sense to do so.

You aren't only the first option in a set when you shoot the ball.

Shutting down your thread with knowledge and intelligence DJ Leon Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    In a technical sense Shaq actually was the no.2 option in 2001 and 2002.
    Nope in zero sense Shaq was the #2 option in 2001 and 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    jordan takes a back seat to

- prime wilt

- prime shaq

- prime kareem

its stupid to argue against it. no shame in it cause a big man is technically a more efficient option if they can average over 30ppg without disrupting the offense.

a guy like jordan can be a better player. but he isnt the more suitable option.
    This might be the only time I ever agree with something you post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Shaq was taking 5 more FTs a game and many of those shots don't factor into FGAs. And Shaq would also get fouled on the catch at times without shooting...just to not concede the dunk. And often Shaq would be played through and simply pass out to his shooters. He was given the ball.....the team reacts....he passes. Doesn't mean he wasn't first option on those plays...it means the first option passed when it made sense to do so.

You're talking to people who don't play or fully understand basketball. I agree with that post 100%

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Leon Smith
    Nope in zero sense Shaq was the #2 option in 2001 and 2002.
    In terms of shots he was. Kobe was shooting more that time.

MJ would be just fine with that number of shots + the ball in his hands in crunch time.

No real point in any real disagreements.

The issues with Kobe-Shaq really boiled down to their off-court personalities.

Kobe wasn't close with any of the Lakers really, I remember reading the Lakers would have things like barbeques in the summer and pretty much everyone would show up except Kobe

His personality and Shaq's personality was always going to be like oil and water mixing. MJ can be hard on teammates but he wasn't as anti-social and actually appreciated other guys taking the limelight/reporters away from him (ala Rodman).

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    In terms of shots he was. Kobe was shooting more that time.

MJ would be just fine with that number of shots + the ball in his hands in crunch time.

No real point in any real disagreements.

The issues with Kobe-Shaq really boiled down to their off-court personalities.

Kobe wasn't close with any of the Lakers really, I remember reading the Lakers would have things like barbeques in the summer and pretty much everyone would show up except Kobe

His personality and Shaq's personality was always going to be like oil and water mixing. MJ can be hard on teammates but he wasn't as anti-social and actually appreciated other guys taking the limelight/reporters away from him (ala Rodman).
    I don't understand how Kobe was a fan of the Lakers growing up. However when he played with them he always wanted to be secluded from everything? Was a huge Magic fan growing up and was literally his alter ego

College superstar

shaq from 2000-2002 is the greatest player ever. any non-big is taking a backseat to him. lebron would probably be the only with an outside chance of stealing a finals mvp from him (impacts the game besides scoring ala kobe/jordan).

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

Kblaze dropping knowledge on these fools!

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    shaq from 2000-2002 is the greatest player ever. any non-big is taking a backseat to him. lebron would probably be the only with an outside chance of stealing a finals mvp from him (impacts the game besides scoring ala kobe/jordan).
    LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

thanks for the laugh.