Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: New ESPN Stat: Lebron James/Kobe Bryant Related

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    I'm not sure if anyone saw last night's ESPN coverage of Kobe Bryant's game winner, but something stood out to me during the broadcast...

Which leads me to ask... how many game winners does Lebron have in that space (if he's made 25 lead changing shots in the last 24 seconds over that time, a good number of those must be game winners), and why the random 2002-2003 marker.

The whole stat seems rather arbitrary and it's an interesting move by ESPN.

Wow I just saw that Vince is up there as well. Stats don't lie in these type of situations.. So congrats to Vince who has been pretty clutch in the games I have watched of his...

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    And yet he's hit more meaningful baskets since 02-03, in spite of not even playing in 02-03? Bryant has been the top clutch shooter for this season but James has clearly been great over his career. The gap in clutch shooting is not nearly as wide as you suggest.
    Are you sure? Lebron may the better player already indeed, but I don't think he is close in terms of clutch play to Kobe.

How many game winners does Lebron have in his career?

3-time NBA All-Star

Lebron has at least 4 game winnners in the playoffs already... That is great.. I don't know how many he has in the regular season...

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    It'd lessen the total number of made shots for everyone, thus making it look less impressive. It's also "interesting" that they chose to mention that Bryant is 5-8 this year but ignore that James was in high school in 02-03. It's pretty badly slanted.
    I'd disagree. The 2002-2003 marker is peculiar, but since we're talking about Bryant hitting another game winner last night, why not have a stat on the total number of game winners hit by all active players during his career. It seems that they shortened the number of years and manipulated the parameters in order to make it a more of comparison stat between Lebron and Bryant.

It's obvious the stat was shown as a result of Bryant hitting another game winner... so if we're talking about Bryant, why would they present a stat that only takes into account 2002 or 2003 to 2010 numbers instead of his career numbers. Seems interesting...

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lakers_forever
    To make Lebron look good, since he does not have a lot of game winners. No one in their right mind would say Lebron is more clutch than Kobe Bryant.

define clutch.

Lebron can just drive to the basket and 9/10 times he either scores or goes to the line. Kobe is the better guy to take that last shot, but Lebron taking it to the basket is like money in the bank.

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    define clutch.

Lebron can just drive to the basket and 9/10 times he either scores or goes to the line. Kobe is the better guy to take that last shot, but Lebron taking it to the basket is like money in the bank.
    It is indeed. But in the last games, he has shot too many stupid 3's in clutch situations.

3-time NBA All-Star

Are you sure? Lebron may the better player already indeed, but I don't think he is close in terms of clutch play to Kobe.

How many game winners does Lebron have in his career?

It is hard to argue that Lebron is as good as Kobe in clutch situations..But before this year Kobe has never been this clutch... He is just on a roll... Lebron may have this type of clutch run at one point in his career.. This is by far Kobe's best year in terms of clutch shots...

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

It is indeed. But in the last games, he has shot too many stupid 3's in clutch situations.

also indeed. It is starting to piss me off.

I'd like to see the FGA as well. I bet they didn't show that for a reason.

We all have eyes and there is a reason why people keep saying Kobe is the clutchest player in the game. Just look at the opposing team's bench, they look beat already as soon as his shot goes up

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Getting a basket in the last 24 seconds doesn't always mean it's a game winner. LeBron may have missed that "slip three" against the Nuggets, but two possessions prior to that he did make a three point play. That's all in the clutch and it's those types of plays that lead to stats like in the original post.

Good college starter

Clutchness has to do a lot with opportunities, i wonder whats the stats on shots made per opportunity.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    Getting a basket in the last 24 seconds doesn't always mean it's a game winner. LeBron may have missed that "slip three" against the Nuggets, but two possessions prior to that he did make a three point play. That's all in the clutch and it's those types of plays that lead to stats like in the original post.
    Yea, Kobe has a lot of those during the Lakers rebuilt phase, but a lot of times the players were too crappy for the Lakers to win. Opposing teams would leave their man to stop Kobe consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    I'd disagree. The 2002-2003 marker is peculiar, but since we're talking about Bryant hitting another game winner last night, why not have a stat on the total number of game winners hit by all active players during his career. It seems that they shortened the number of years and manipulated the parameters in order to make it a more of comparison stat between Lebron and Bryant.

It's obvious the stat was shown as a result of Bryant hitting another game winner... so if we're talking about Bryant, why would they present a stat that only takes into account 2002 or 2003 to 2010 numbers instead of his career numbers. Seems interesting...
    I agree on all counts, but that's what ESPN is, a hype machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    Excellent point. lol @ FGM. I'd like to see Kobe's FGM through out his career with 24 seconds or left, hell, his clutch stats (82 games criteria) through out his career. Unfortunately, I don't think any sites have this info.

Banned

My thing is this...if were talking about Kobe Bryant hitting a game winner, why frame it around Lebron James career?

something tells me if you go back one more year Kobe has more...seems like they went back just far enough were Kobe wouldnt have more?