Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Put JaVale McGee in the 50-60's and he's top 10 player all-time imo..

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    There were guys back then holding players who would go on to light up players in the 80s to awful performances. Players with skill. But Mcgee is just gonna jump over people and become a scorer and some dominant player?

You do know he wasnt that in college right? wilt was a 7'1'' 265-310 pound track star and Russell was a 6'10'' top 10 world ranked high jumper. Mcgee didnt dominate Boise st but hes gonna eat up guys who could contain/nearly shut down 7'3'' amazingly skilled kareem who has dropped 40+ on multiple players who played into the 2000s....

It amazes me what some people fail to notice. you could guard Mcgee with Deng and hes not gonna take the game over.

Even if the bigmen were as small as suggested(they were not) its not like Mcgee goes off on smaller bigmen now. he has little skill. In the 50s they would expect him to be a focal point...play back to the basket and be able to play inside out. Pass. Hit cutters.

half his problem is him thinking hes a skilled attacking type and that isnt helping when hes asked to be even more of a traditional bigman than he is now.

He goes out there and tries to dunk from the FT line over a set defender hes never playing again. Some of the shit hes pulled would probably set black people back a decade in basketball. Guys back then were getting benched for dunking on people. having their legs taken out for attempting to be flashy. nobody was throwing lobs.

If mcgee did play in the 50s all that would happen to show you hes as athletic as he is is amazing blocks of which 99.9% would never be seen by modern fans. You would be on here saying Tyrus thomas would be a star if he could be guarded by guys like Mcgee because you wouldnt know shit about him like you dont know shit about the players as they were.

And when you say maybe 1 of 15 players could dunk its clear you dont. The average height only went up an inch from like 67 to 07 and thats not considering the fact that they changed the official heigh listing to include shoes on.

Just because you never saw a lot of them dunk doesnt mean they couldnt. The Harlem Globetrotters did well known pregame dunk contests just for the fans in the 50s.

They were 6'3''-6'10'' people who playing sports for a living....and you think only 1 in 15 could dunk?

There is virtually no footage of Oscar Robertson dunking. You really think there are many 6'5'' guys like this:

Who cant dunk?

They had no reason to. Layup is 2 points. Why dunk? So someone who never watched them play anyway knows they could?

You dont appear to know that the guys who DID dunk could dunk. Ive see nthe Lakers in like 1954 dunking in layup lines warming up and none of them seemed to be really trying. So what?

There are plenty of guys who played modern ball who would totally shut Mcgee down that at a glance are no more physically capable than 50s players.

Chris Dudley or Kurt Thomas would shackle Mcgee and be stuck to the floor doing it.

The worst thing about topics like this is just how many people you could get to believe it. My little cousin told me today that basketball "Back in the day" was garbage. He meant 1996. When he was 3. We were watching the olympics and talking about the 96 dream team vs todays. a team he never saw....full of amazing players almost all of whom played modern stars as equals. And they are garbage.

Because hes a know nothing 19 year old idiot. Lot of those going around...
    ok reasonable i respect your opinion...

Default Re: Put JaVale McGee in the 50-60's and he's top 10 player all-time imo..

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I never said a 19 year old cant know history. I did when I was 19. I said my little cousin is a know nothing 19 year old and he is. And that there are a lot of them around. And there are. Would you even disagree with that?

When it comes to the past someone who became an adult months ago is just less likely to have looked into it than people with more time as fans of the game.

Nobody(I would assume) thinks im old enough to have seen the 60s. But I sure as hell have seen and learned more about it than some guy who think Mcgee is gonna light up people who Kareem didnt.

A guy who thinks Mcgee is top 10 all time because some guy who might guard him in the 60s is shorter not knowing anything isnt a card to pull. Its a perfectly reasonable assumption. Guys back then who put up near 30/20 seasons arent even ranked top 50. But Mcgee is gonna be top 10 all time because of...whatever the hell he thinks hes gonna do?

People who dont appear to be know nothing kids....I dont assume they are.

People who say Mcgee is gonna light up a league due to athletic advantages when he doesnt light up non athletes today.....appear to know nothing. The kid part of it....comes off the general nature of his posts.

How many people who have been grown a while would write out "dus", "wuts", and "wen"? Its how texts from kids are written. Im not saying grammar or spelling matter. Im not spell checking shit...ever. Im saying....when someone thinks Mcgee is top 10 all time if he played in the 60s and types like hes sending a text when hes trying to make a point....hes probably a know nothing kid or stopped being one a very short while ago and is now a know nothing young adult.

If that offends you as a 21 year old....so be it. But perhaps you should ask yourself...have I ever called you a know nothing kid or implied you are one because of some idiotic statement?

I dont remember ever doing it. Perhaps...that means I dont think you are and I judge each situation case by case.

This guy...sounds like a know nothing 19 year old I know who dropped out of college to sell weed and work at wafflehouse.

If you did as well...id let you know. I dont care how old you are. Just make sense.
    how did you know???/

Quote Originally Posted by waseem780
    this is officially the stupidest post of the day.. you make up some bull and say i said .. WHEN DID I SAY JAVALE WOULD BEAT WILT OR RUSSEL ON THE POST??? I said he would beat the other scrubs from the 50's... and btw yes infact i have watched 60"s games and wilt and russel. and the end part of less teams means better players .. that doesnt really prove anything..there's alot of more stuff but i cant be bothered with you..

Are you sure? When you said he would dominate them, and when you said that his games against the Lakers would be the WORST games in the 60s. So they would be his worst games EXCEPT for his games against Russell. I read the "at the end part" sentence a few times before I realized what you were trying to say (still haven't found spell checker?), yes, it proves that the average team was better back then.

raep tiem

Goat

McGee couldn't even post up 5'9 Isiah Thomas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgSYA3Gb7oI

It's the 3rd one on this countdown.