Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Coach K looked really embarrassed after the game

The other guys are professionals, what else are you supposed to do? Let them score and don't try to score yourself? Do you realize how dumb that is.

Ngl if I was the other team and I'd rather a team keep playing hard then start going easy on me, that'd be more respectful.

I have coached winning games like this, it is a very strangely bad experience for a coach to be in, you can't smile....not even a bit and you can only restrain your team so much without it being disrespectful to your opponent. I always love to blow an opponent out but when it is this bad you wish you never played the game.

Quote Originally Posted by swi7ch
    I agree. They should have just dribbled to shot clock violation everytime or perhaps threw up a halfcourt shot. That would be definitely be in the spirit of Olympic competition!
    Seriously, what the hell were they supposed to do?

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
    pulled their best players most of the second half, played zone defense, jacked up low percentage shots....what else could they have done? honestly
    And therein lies the dilemma. We can't really "call off the dogs" so to speak. Our five "worst" players (Davis, Harden, Iggy, Love, Westbrook) would be good enough as a starting unit to compete for a silver medal, and give our starting unit a run for their money, if not beat them in single elimination format.

I think/hope other countries understand this and, from what I saw, it didn't really look like were running up the score. I couldn't watch the 4th quarter, but towards the end of the 3rd quarter we started pulling the ball out on 2-on-1 fastbreaks, working the shot clock, and jacking up threes; they just all kept going in. I really haven't seen anything like that before, where everyone on the team makes almost every three they shoot. I mean Iggy hit like three three-pointers towards the very end of the third quarter, and two of them came at the very end of the shot clock with a hand in his face.

NBA sixth man of the year

Why does everyone have to feel guilty over everything now?

America is now the land of the *******.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Screw the Nigerians. Suck less. Simple logic.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

sorry OP,

have to watch footage but Coach K has run up scores a lot of times at Duke

when Duke scrimmages cupcake teams before they get into ACC schedule and in early NCAA rounds...Coach K doesn't call off the dogs.

somebody google some of the lopsided Duke victories...sure you'll find 30-40 point blowouts

That's one the things I admire about him, he has a classy image but is true hardcore old school competitor.

Again, haven't seen the game, nor Coach K's expression but I think you're misinterpreting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    Ada boy. Raped.
    fixed

Easing off an opponent so they won't lose as as many points in the Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    there's a huge difference between throwing games and showing some restraint/sportsmanship. this is really not close to being the same thing
    Sportsmanship is treating them like adults and trying to win. It's more disrespectful to just dick around at the end basically saying "you were too easy".

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    We played the girl's basketball team in middle school and we won 126-0.

We pressed the whole game. They made it past half court 3 times, and only shot the ball once, and it was partially blocked.

No mercy.

And I'm actually serious. We destroyed them.
    lol I might be a secret misogynist, but I love balling against women.

I remember when I was like 13 and playing on some street ball court where the rims were about 4 inches too low... and some lady who was supposedly a college player was acting like she was the shit. We played them full court 2 on 2 and SINCE I AM SMARTER THAN GIRLS I love to trick them into thinking they can shoot over me. I got an epic chase down block on that ho, and her teammate, a guy, was like "wow." She was pisssssssed

I dunno why people get so mad when men like to tease girls by DOMINATING them athletically.

DATS WAT WE DO IN THE JUNGLE

That said, beating Nigeria by 83 is bogus as ****. Let's see them smash Spain by 50 then I'll say nevermind.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    I have coached winning games like this, it is a very strangely bad experience for a coach to be in, you can't smile....not even a bit and you can only restrain your team so much without it being disrespectful to your opponent. I always love to blow an opponent out but when it is this bad you wish you never played the game.
    lol this dude finally makes a post with some substance.

Seriously, though... that's how I feel. Minus the sarcasm.

-Smak