Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Top 10 Myths about Kobe Bryant/Lakers explained

Quote Originally Posted by Christofire
    The "when kobe shoots less" argument has always been the stupidest thing i've ever heard. When Bryant shoots less that means his teammates are playing a good game so he doesnt have to shoot alot of shots. That is true for almost any team. When your supporting cast is giving quality support then naturally you will take less shots. It's a pointless argument.

Jordan j*zzchuggers just love to ignore the fact that Bryant has shot over 2000 more 3s in his career than Michael Jordan. They also love to ignore that half of his career was played in the 80s to 93...where the league average for ppg was about 107 over that stretch with 90% of the teams atleast scoring 100 pts.

Jordan had absurd FG%s of 53% in the 80s back when he couldn't shoot rocks into the ocean, but yet we're supposed to believe he faced superior defenses and defensive players?...Especially when you take into account the FG%s of players and teams. Jordan stats are inflated due to significantly inferior defense and ridiculous pace of play.

Kobe>Jordan
    But jordan didn't play his whole career in the 80s. I still say the mid 90s was the hardest time for scoring. Not so much cuz the defense was better, but cuz the game was so bogged down. And even in during that time jordan faired great. Its the main reason I feel jordan was at his best during this time. Maybe not statistically, but as a basketball player.

3-time NBA All-Star

[QUOTE=Eat Like A Bosh]
    Intro:
    No team has been as successful as the Lakers in professional sports over the past 30 years, and no NBA player has had as much success as Kobe has over the past decade.

Yet, it is funny how polarized many fans are when discussing Kobe Bryant. The amount of effort that some people use to try to bring down his legacy is simply incredible and laughable at the same time. Perhaps if this effort was used towards producing positive economic profit, this country would have already been out of the recession.

And the funny thing is that one doesn’t see this with other past NBA legends, such as Bill Russell, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. They all had more than their share of imperfections and flaws, but no one questions their greatness.

Most of the myths and lies associated with the Lakers and Kobe are built around cherry-picked stats and by using double standards.

A friend once told me “If you tell a lie that's big enough, and you tell it often enough, people will believe you are telling the truth.” By retelling these lies over and over, many smart folks I know are even starting to believe them.

This a is meant to address the top myths about Kobe and the Lakers. I don’t expect to change the minds of Kobe/Lakers haters, like you, my friend, but hopefully this should make a difference among the rational folks, helping to stop the spread of these lies.

All right, shall we begin?

1. Kobe Is Not an Efficient Shooter
    The argument that Kobe is not an efficient shooter is often brought up to show that he is overrated. In addition, many of the same people that use this argument state that efficiency is one of the main reasons that puts Michael Jordan into a class much higher than Kobe Bryant.

Even Phil Jackson made this distinction recently. And yet everyone who claims this is wrong.

Looking at the pure field goal statistics seems to lend credence to this argument. For instance, Kobe Bryant has a .455 career field goal percentage compared to .497 for Jordan. Part of the reason that Kobe’s shooting percentage is lower is due to the higher quantity and percentage of shots that are taken from beyond the three-point line. However, three-pointers contribute 50 percent more points than regular shots.When free throws and three-pointers are taken into account to form the true shooting percentage, Michael Jordan has a .569 percentage compared to Kobe Bryant’s .556. In other words, the numbers are very similar.

One has to also remember that most of the years that Jordan shot higher field goal percentages came during the 1980s when team defenses (despite the hand-checking) were much less tenacious than the 1990s or 2000s. Hence, teams in general shot much higher percentages and there were many guards who shot greater than 50 percent (compared to just a few today). Heck, there were whole teams that averaged over 50 percent on their field goal attempts.

There are a couple reasons why team defenses are more effective today. First, after the Detroit Pistons made use of the “Jordan Rules,” other teams took note that tough team defenses can slow down the best players in the game and lead to wins. Second, zone defenses encourage outside shooting more than dribble penetration, leading to a lower conversion rate.
    If Jordan had played in today’s league, he would be forced to take and make more outside shots, which is something he wasn’t very effective at early in his career. While he would likely have improved his outside shot earlier in his career, his overall field goal percentage probably would have suffered.

Despite the difference in eras and true shooting percentage to compare Jordan and Bryant, let’s consider one final telling stat that indicates how efficiently the two players were able to score.

When one looks at points per field goal attempt, one will see nearly identical statistics for both players: Jordan scored 1.316 points per shot attempt while Bryant has scored 1.304.

So after this analysis, does it still seem that Jordan is in a class way above Bryant when it comes to efficiency?

2. The Lakers Are Better Off When Kobe Shoots Less
    This season, quite a few have commented about how the Lakers seem to do better when Kobe Bryant shoots less in games. They have noted that many of the games LA has lost this year featured lots of shot attempts by Bryant.

However, there is a reason why this correlation could be made. Since Kobe already has a lot of mileage, coach Phil Jackson has tried to limit his playing time this season. In fact, Kobe’s playing time is down about five minutes per game compared to last season.

Jackson’s goal for every Lakers game this season is to have his team dominate through the first three quarters and rest Kobe Bryant in the fourth quarter. With all of the games that Kobe has sat out much of the fourth quarter this season, his average playing time in wins is lower than his playing time in losses.

When games are close in the fourth quarter, Jackson usually relies heavily on Kobe. Often times, Kobe is asked to take over the scoring load late in games because Pau Gasol and the other players were unable to have good scoring games themselves.

Sometimes Kobe is able to help get the wins for the Lakers and sometimes he is unable to do so. But the fact that in losses he is playing more minutes and taking more shots is the reason why his shot attempts are higher in losses.

Hence, claiming that the Lakers are “better off” when Kobe shoots less is simply a na

Saw a basketball once

wow really Kobe over Jordan I mean are people just stupid, or is this some april fools posts up a bit early!!! Here's a fact Kobe will never be Jordan. Never!

Quote Originally Posted by Clipperboy3
    wow really Kobe over Jordan I mean are people just stupid, or is this some april fools posts up a bit early!!! Here's a fact Kobe will never be Jordan. Never!
    Wow people on ISH are so dumb sometimes...
    When did this article say that Kobe is better than Jordan?

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk Hogan
    You mad... agitated with my trolling skills?
    No just thought you would have read it, b4 knocking it, it is giving Kobe his due credit

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Like A Bosh
    Wow people on ISH are so dumb sometimes...
    When did this article say that Kobe is better than Jordan?
    It doesn't, but he troll with the Rondo pic said it in the thread, get ready for a Jordan vs Kobe thread...sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Calabis
    It doesn't, but he troll with the Rondo pic said it in the thread, get ready for a Jordan vs Kobe thread...sorry
    Don't see why it has too, the writer of the article even said that MJ is the GOAT. I thought it was a good read, pretty much echos all my sentiments on kobe-haters.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    But jordan didn't play his whole career in the 80s. I still say the mid 90s was the hardest time for scoring. Not so much cuz the defense was better, but cuz the game was so bogged down. And even in during that time jordan faired great. Its the main reason I feel jordan was at his best during this time. Maybe not statistically, but as a basketball player.
    the 90s was not the most difficult era to score in....undersized wing players and no zone defense...isolation ran rampant in the 90s....Jordan was still great ofcourse....But he played half of his career in a score happy 80s to 93, and the other half in a competition deprived 94-98......

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Jordan was definately a moe complete player, but the reason the games were bogged down was because of isolations less possessions because alot of team ran halfcourt iso that took off much of the shotclock. Defense was more physical but it wasn't better. Sound defense will always trump hacking. so what if more guys got wacked out of the air, so they go freethrows and without the aid of zone defense penetration was more frequent. There's a reason they brought zone defense to the league and that was to force team play and to hinder isolation.

Also wanna know why jordan won wihtout a dominant big man?...Because he didnt need one...How many of those great bigs of the 90s had a complimentary wing player for them to accomplish winning a title?....

Quote Originally Posted by matts290
    Don't see why it has too, the writer of the article even said that MJ is the GOAT. I thought it was a good read, pretty much echos all my sentiments on kobe-haters.
    See Christofire....told you, not talking about the article, Kobetrolls bring MJ into a positive article for Kobe, what else is new

Banned

Those aren't myths. Those are facts.
    How can anybody who has basic education confuse the two?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Calabis
    See Christofire....told you, not talking about the article, Kobetrolls bring MJ into a positive article for Kobe, what else is new
    Jordan has a greater legacy no doubt and no denying that....Jordan dominated his era the way Kobe can't in this era....i will never dispute that, but with that said Kobe is a better player when comparing the 2. Even though jordan is greater....greatness is a combination of your skill and your accomplishment.

Jordan is more accomplished than Kobe despite kobe being more skilled which is why Jordan is the greatest

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Jordan has a greater legacy no doubt and no denying that....Jordan dominated his era the way Kobe can't in this era....i will never dispute that, but with that said Kobe is a better player when comparing the 2. Even though jordan is greater....greatness is a combination of your skill and your accomplishment.

Jordan is more accomplished than Kobe despite kobe being more skilled which is why Jordan is the greatest
    Make up your mind Bill Clinton

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    Make up your mind Bill Clinton
    He gotta jump through hoops to say Kobe was better. He knows that sh*t don't even sound right so he comes out with all the qualifiers.

3-time NBA All-Star

Jordan was definately a moe complete player, but the reason the games were bogged down was because of isolations less possessions because alot of team ran halfcourt iso that took off much of the shotclock. Defense was more physical but it wasn't better. Sound defense will always trump hacking. so what if more guys got wacked out of the air, so they go freethrows and without the aid of zone defense penetration was more frequent. There's a reason they brought zone defense to the league and that was to force team play and to hinder isolation.

Also wanna know why jordan won wihtout a dominant big man?...Because he didnt need one...How many of those great bigs of the 90s had a complimentary wing player for them to accomplish winning a title?....

shaq had penny and nick anderson,
    smits had reggie and mark jackson,
    brad daugherty had price and nance,
    ewing had starks, rolando, mark jackson and xavier,
    hakeem had no one..

Smits was just a decent big.. .. Rolando was older...
    Last edited by NBASTATMAN; 03-29-2011 at 11:12 PM.