Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Tim Duncan vs Larry Bird

Um Duncan is half black idk why you're calling him white.

Anyways id go with Duncan, Bird had the better peak but only by a small bit and Duncan has a large edge in longevity and has the better resume.

Good High School Starter

Duncan, easily. He doesn't have to hide behind rings or longevity.

However, fans don't like Duncan: doesn't play for the Lakers or Celtics; he never tried to feast on bad teams or inflate his stats in blowouts during the regular season; he is boring, humble, doesn't seem larger than life ...

Steve Kerr
    [QUOTE][B]

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximandro1
    Duncan played in the Western Conference, competed against all time greats in their primes ... relative to his contemporaries, Duncan was a ruthless, efficient machine in the playoffs ... he was undefeated in the NBA finals (4-0)
    Because Duncan would have beaten the 87 Lakers and Bird would have been humiliated by the 99 Knicks ? do you even think before posting ?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximandro1
    Duncan, easily. He doesn't have to hide behind rings or longevity.

However, fans don't like Duncan: doesn't play for the Lakers or Celtics; he never tried to feast on bad teams or inflate his stats in blowouts during the regular season; he is boring, humble, doesn't seem larger than life ...

Steve Kerr

Duncan played in the Western Conference, competed against all time greats in their primes ... relative to his contemporaries, Duncan was a ruthless, efficient machine in the playoffs ... he was undefeated in the NBA finals (4-0)

Debate over.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

And to think that without that Ray Allen miracle shot, Duncan would be 6/6 with 4 FMVP's.

No slight to Bird, but I'd take Duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlamb47
    You crazy
    Duncan is an elite player both ways
    5/6 in the finals
    3 FVP and 2 MVP
    Still going strong
    I have Duncan in my top 10, outside the GOAT candidates. He'll simply never breach that group. Was never that dominant. Great player but his era was weaker in comparison to Bird and he has achieved much less relative to that.

MVP placing for Bird between 79-88

79-80 (Rookie year): 4th
    80-81: 2nd
    81-82: 2nd
    82-83: 2nd
    83-84: 1st
    84-85: 1st
    85-86: 1st
    86-87: 3rd
    87-88: 2nd

In an era of Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Dr J, Moses Malone, Magic, Jordan; and then you had the lesser likes of Isiah Thomas, Hakeem Olajuwon, Sidney Moncrief, Bernard King, Dominique Wilkins, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, etc. From start until his back gave way; he was basically in the top 2 players in the strongest, most talented, era in NBA history.

Won 3 rings in the toughest conference of the toughest era in NBA history - Sixers, Pistons, Lakers and even teams like the Bucks and the Sampson/Olajuwon Rockets.

Duncan doesn't touch that. For almost half his career he hasn't been considered a top 5 player (MVP voting) and the last time he made an All-NBA team of any kind (1st, 2nd or 3rd) was in 09-10 (3rd All-Nba team). When people praise Duncan they forget about Pop and the system, with a deep squad, he's generally inherited.
    Last edited by LeBird; 02-17-2015 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    A peak Bird probably had a slight edge over a peak Duncan. In terms of careers...Duncan, and really, by a mile.

yup indeed

Quote Originally Posted by LeBird
    I have Duncan in my top 10, outside the GOAT candidates. He'll simply never breach that group. Was never that dominant. Great player but his era was weaker in comparison to Bird and he has achieved much less relative to that.

MVP placing for Bird between 79-88

79-80 (Rookie year): 4th
    80-81: 2nd
    81-82: 2nd
    82-83: 2nd
    83-84: 1st
    84-85: 1st
    85-86: 1st
    86-87: 3rd
    87-88: 2nd

In an era of Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Dr J, Moses Malone, Magic, Jordan; and then you had the lesser likes of Isiah Thomas, Hakeem Olajuwon, Sidney Moncrief, Bernard King, Dominique Wilkins, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, etc. From start until his back gave way; he was basically in the top 2 players in the strongest, most talented, era in NBA history.

Won 3 rings in the toughest conference of the toughest era in NBA history - Sixers, Pistons, Lakers and even teams like the Bucks and the Sampson/Olajuwon Rockets.

Duncan doesn't touch that. For almost half his career he hasn't been considered a top 5 player (MVP voting) and the last time he made an All-NBA team of any kind (1st, 2nd or 3rd) was in 09-10 (3rd All-Nba team). When people praise Duncan they forget about Pop and the system, with a deep squad, he's generally inherited.
    First off, Duncan was All-NBA 1st Team in 2013, just two seasons ago. It wasn't 09-10.

Second, he was top five in MVP voting from 98-07, which is the same period of time as the 'elite' years you posted for Bird.

Third, Bird made 10 All-NBA Teams (nine 1st, one 2nd), and 3 All-Defensive Teams (three 2nd)

Duncan made 14 All-NBA Teams (ten 1st, three 2nd, one 3rd, though the 3rd Team didn't come around until 89 so we can forget that one), and 14 All-Defensive Teams (eight 1st, six 2nd, and he's gonna make another one this year).

So stop acting like Bird clearly has more individual accolades/success.

You can't go wrong either way. It's not very controversial to say you'd take Duncan over Bird since he played vastly superior defense and had better longevity, as well as arguably a better peak (though I'm sure you think peak Bird shits all over peak Duncan). Remember, Duncan played in an era where teams were actually expected to play defense. And he sure as hell wasn't facing 30 win teams in the postseason.
    Last edited by T_L_P; 02-17-2015 at 04:02 AM.

I stand corrected. I meant besides the gift-wrap selection of 2013 which was more like a parting gift than deserved.

As for the top 5...please. He was all over the place and never as dominant as Bird. Just look at those placings. And then compare their contemporaries. It's not even close.

Bird is, especially considering he was injury-plagued and retired early, a leap ahead of Duncan in terms of individual accolades. Duncan was never, ever, as dominant as Bird who by the mid 80s was getting GOAT talks. Duncan gets hindsight favour by the ring-counters.

I don't mean to say Duncan isn't great by the above, but there is a clear distinction there and it's unavoidable. It's the same between Magic and Kobe. Kobe is a great player, but he's not and never will be mentioned as a GOAT candidate in the way Magic was. If all you did was watch them it's obvious who is playing on a different level altogether.
    Last edited by LeBird; 02-17-2015 at 04:42 AM.

Local High School Star

I stand corrected. I meant besides the gift-wrap selection of 2013 which was more like a parting gift than deserved.

As for the top 5...please. He was all over the place and never as dominant as Bird. Just look at those placings. And then compare their contemporaries. It's not even close.

Bird is, especially considering he was injury-plagued and retired early, a leap ahead of Duncan in terms of individual accolades. Duncan was never, ever, as dominant as Bird who by the mid 80s was getting GOAT talks. Duncan gets hindsight favour by the ring-counters.

I don't mean to say Duncan isn't great by the above, but there is a clear distinction there and it's unavoidable. It's the same between Magic and Kobe. Kobe is a great player, but he's not and never will be mentioned as a GOAT candidate in the way Magic was. If all you did was watch them it's obvious who is playing on a different level altogether.

At least TLP backs up his opinion with evidence.. You just dribble your opinion which at best is questionable... The case for duncan and bird is a close arguement.. stating that bird was clearly better.. There is no evidence to suggest this at all.. Nothing..

Serious playground baller

Duncan was insane in his prime... He literally carried his squad in the Spurs first championship run. (dont let the name value fool you, in the early 2000's, Parker was nowhere near the player he was today, Manu was just not starting to find his rhythm, D-Rob was heavily past his prime) and had a huge impact defensively, and Duncan's greatest strength, along with his defense, is his longetivity.

However, PRIME BIRD prior to his back injury, was in talks for GOAT conversations. Peak Bird had a skillset that was simply unreal... If Bird had a better longetivity, he'd seriously be in top 5 convos off of ANYONE's list, and this isn't because he's white. His court vision was 10x better than CP3's, his passing was 10x more creative and magical than Magic and Bran, his shooting touch was fcking smooth as butter.

Peak, BIRD IN A HEARTBEAT. ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE IMO.

But career/longetivity wise, give me Duncan all day.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

You're really trying to argue that Duncan never had Bird's impact when Duncan was one thousand times the defender that Bird was?

Duncan has been anchoring championship contending teams for the better part of two decades. In terms of longevity, defense, and accomplishments he blows Bird out of the water.

And while he may not have have been quite the offensive force that Bird was, he was still absolutely no slouch. He was the go-to scorer on most of the teams he ever played on. Especially early in his career, the Spurs would never have won those championships without Duncan's ability to close out the game on the offensive - and defensive - end.

Anyway, I would take Duncan over Bird, but at least I concede that there is a definite argument to be had here. Acting like one can't even compare to the other is incredibly foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    Anyway, I would take Duncan over Bird, but at least I concede that there is a definite argument to be had here. Acting like one can't even compare to the other is incredibly foolish.
    Except that one is a thousand times better than the other.