Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: [2001 ECSF] Allen Iverson vs Vince Carter Arguably one of the greatest 7 game series

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    The Sixers were never REAL CONTENDERS...they never had a shot vs the Lakers...and that's without bringing up the fact that the bucks pretty much got screwed over in that ECF. The only reason the Sixers were even a story is because Zo went down with the kidney ailment...before that, the Heat were by far the best team in the east after they traded for Eddie Jones and Mase and were expected to do no less than have a tough battle with the Lakers in the finals.
    was watchin the AI documentary.. and Larry Brown said if the sixers were healthy they wouldve beat LA.. dont know if I agree with him.. but i sure as hell take his opinion over yours. Just thought i'd let you know, champ.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: [2001 ECSF] Allen Iverson vs Vince Carter Arguably one of the greatest 7 game series

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    was watchin the AI documentary.. and Larry Brown said if the sixers were healthy they wouldve beat LA.. dont know if I agree with him.. but i sure as hell take his opinion over yours. Just thought i'd let you know, champ.
    What the **** is the coach of the team supposed to say you knucklehead? That they would have lost no matter what? Jesus christ you are goddamn dimwit...ANY COACH IS GOING TO SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Default Re: [2011 ECSF] Allen Iverson vs Vince Carter Arguably one of the greatest 7 game series

Quote Originally Posted by VIP2000
    They were CONTENDERS for one year and I'm not even sure if the 76ers would have even beaten the Spurs, or Kings or Blazers in a 7 game series if the Lakers somehow got eliminated before the Finals. Every other year, the Sixers never made it past the 2nd round, even in the weak East.
    Pat Croce left after the 00-01 season and it showed all through the organisation. It is no secret to anyone the problems the Philadelphia 76ers franchise has had in the front office since then. Injuries, bad trades, team chemistry that was just never the same after the 2001 finals. If Croce was still there a lot of those issues could have been resolved and the team could have been contenders for longer. Plus AI would have never left. Which in hindsight would have been the best thing for the franchise and for Allen.

The East was not that weak back then but conference disparity was definitely on the increase. It was the end of those strong Heat teams that played during the mid to late 90's.

Remember how good that Lakers team was, they swept everyone on the way to the Finals. The two best teams no doubt played each other in my mind.

That 2000-01 team was a very good defensive team built around AI, which is a curse and a blessing. If AI is having a poor shooting night, who is there to pick up the slack? McKie? Tyrone Hill? Jumaine Jones?
    While none of those players maybe the most prolific scorers, you are acting like they were a bunch of scrubs that couldn't bounce a ball. I find it a little unfair. Yeah maybe some more offensive production from some one other that Allen would have helped at times, but each player fulfilled their role. Not 100% sure what you really wanted from them.

While AI was a phenomenal talent, he was just a difficult player to build around. As evidenced by all the other 20 ppg scorers that were run out of town (Glenn Robinson, Derrick Coleman, Van Horn, Hughes, etc.).
    Run outta town? Common man, DC came f#ckin back to town. Those players were not really an elite company though, were they? Outta their primes and those that 'never were'.

The Sixers were never REAL CONTENDERS...they never had a shot vs the Lakers...and that's without bringing up the fact that the bucks pretty much got screwed over in that ECF.
    Ok, so firstly I'm guessing you haven't seen any of those games since they were played but what is forgotten is how close the Sixers were to winning game 2 in LA. They essentially choked on the free throw line when the game was theirs. They gifted LA the game.

If anyone can't remember or was too young to see it at the time here is a link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1281F9D1C7EBA2

Say what you will, but going back to Philly 2 games up, it would have been a completely different series. So to say they were never real contenders is a lil disrespectful to that 00-01 Philadelphia 76ers team and doesn't reflect the true story. Don't forget how good Shaq was then, he was at the ABSOLUTE prime and peak of peaks of his career.

The only reason the Sixers were even a story is because Zo went down with the kidney ailment...before that, the Heat were by far the best team in the east after they traded for Eddie Jones and Mase and were expected to do no less than have a tough battle with the Lakers in the finals.
    Simply not true. That is a complete exaggeration. While they had a legit team loaded with talent, That old ass Heat team were just hanging on for one last season before it was time to rebuild. Sixers owned them and they had no 'Answer'.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols

Eric Snow actually played with a broken foot during the Finals.

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by k0kakw0rld
    Game 1:
    Vince Carter: 35 points 7 assists 2 rebounds 2 blocks W
    Allen Iverson: 36 points 4 assists 7 steals 8 rebounds L
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L80AfDf1WS4
    Game 2:
    Vince Carter: 28 points 4 assists 7 rebounds 2 blocks 2 steals L
    Allen Iverson: 54 points 4 assists 5 rebounds 0 block 1 steal W
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8FLfRmvp78
    Game 3:
    Vince Carter: 50 points 7 assists 6 rebounds 4 blocks 1 steals W
    Allen Iverson: 23 points 8 assists 4 rebounds 1 block 4 steals L
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0gohzNOjIs
    Game 4:
    Vince Carter: 25 points 5 assists 10 rebounds 3 blocks 1 steal L
    Allen Iverson: 30 points 5 assists 4 rebounds 0 block 4 steals W
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSDmiofO8vo
    Game 5:
    Vince Carter: 16 points 2 assists 5 rebounds 0 block 2 steals L
    Allen Iverson: 52 points 7 assists 2 rebounds 0 block 4 steals W
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6o5TfSCnP8
    Game 6:
    Vince Carter: 39 points 5 assists 5 rebounds 1 block 4 steals W
    Allen Iverson: 20 points 4 assists 4 rebounds 0 block 0 steal L
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wILgX7UkpKc
    Game 7:
    Vince Carter: 20 points 9 assists 7 rebounds 2 blocks 3 steals L
    Allen Iverson: 21 points 16 assists 4 rebounds 1 block 2 steals W
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSPxvDh7I5o
    Overall stats: Toronto (3) vs 76ers (4)

Vince Carter: 30.4 ppg 5.6 apg 6.0 rpg 1.9 spg 2.0 bpg
    Allen Iverson: 33.7 ppg 6.9 apg 4.4 rpg 3.1 spg 0.3 bpg

Sixers go on to win in 7 games...

Any other memorable 7 game series in recent memories?
    WINCE CHOKE BIG

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: [2011 ECSF] Allen Iverson vs Vince Carter Arguably one of the greatest 7 game series

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44

Simply not true. That is a complete exaggeration. While they had a legit team loaded with talent, That old ass Heat team were just hanging on for one last season before it was time to rebuild. Sixers owned them and they had no 'Answer'.
    WTF? Old ass heat team? Zo was 30 and Eddie 29. If you don't know what you are talking about...don't open your ****ing mouth.

WTF? Old ass heat team? Zo was 30 and Eddie 29. If you don't know what you are talking about...don't open your ****ing mouth.
    Come on, son.

A.C Mutha f#ckin Green was on the team

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44

Ok, so firstly I'm guessing you haven't seen any of those games since they were played but what is forgotten is how close the Sixers were to winning game 2 in LA. They essentially choked on the free throw line when the game was theirs. They gifted LA the game.
    Yeah I actually re-watched that series. Although the Sixers lost 4-1, all 5 games actually came down to the final minute or so.

Game 7 Sixers vs Raptors:

Quote Originally Posted by ai9
    Yeah I actually re-watched that series. Although the Sixers lost 4-1, all 5 games actually came down to the final minute or so.
    I find it hard to watch those games at times, I was just so emotionally invested at the time

The first game is one for the ages, will go down as one of the greatest Finals games in history.