Default Westbrook the favorite to win 2017 MVP

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...21883218608129

2-1

Followed by Curry:4-1

Lebron: 5-1

Durant: 12-1

Davis: 16-1

Default Re: Westbrook the favorite to win 2017 MVP

If Lebron trying to surpass Jordan , he will try for the mvp .

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Nilocon165
    https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...21883218608129

2-1

Followed by Curry:4-1

Lebron: 5-1

Durant: 12-1

Davis: 16-1
    I dunno about personal stats.
    But I don't see them giving MVP to a team with less then 50 wins,
    And I am not sure OKC led by Russel can hit that mark...

I think that it's either going to be Lebron or someone unexpected.

My odd perdiction (Please don't slay me for this)

Blake Griffin has a breakthrough year and if Clippers win 57-60 he takes it.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Kevin Durant will be the MVP this season. The best player on the team with the best record. Put your bets in now....12-1 is a pretty good payout.

Learning to shoot layups

I can't believe Kawhi Leonard hasnt been mentioned. Dude finished 2nd in voting last year and gets no recognition now?

But I agree that Russ will go off all year. Probably will win it

Quote Originally Posted by Ruler
    I can't believe Kawhi Leonard hasnt been mentioned. Dude finished 2nd in voting last year and gets no recognition now?

But I agree that Russ will go off all year. Probably will win it
    I don't think Kawahi would be able to get the MVP in his career.
    With all due respect a wing that averages 21 PPG and 2.6 APG is nice, but it is not MVP worthy.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by BigKAT
    I don't think Kawahi would be able to get the MVP in his career.
    With all due respect a wing that averages 21 PPG and 2.6 APG is nice, but it is not MVP worthy.
    That's a fair assessment, but he almost had a 50/40/90 season while earning DPOY. Plus he is still getting better every year, and leads his team to 67 wins? Idk why people think 21/7.5/2.5 on ~53/46/88 with 2 SPG and 2 straight DPOY is not MVP level... Anthony Davis was not very good last year but has better odds than Kawhi? Media bias

That's a fair assessment, but he almost had a 50/40/90 season while earning DPOY. Plus he is still getting better every year, and leads his team to 67 wins? Idk why people think 21/7.5/2.5 on ~53/46/88 with 2 SPG and 2 straight DPOY is not MVP level... Anthony Davis was not very good last year but has better odds than Kawhi? Media bias

About Anthony Davis.

I don't really think he'll win MVP either.
    He's had one winning season in his career so far.
    Is it blasphamy to say that the Unibrow won't win an MVP in my opinion?
    Maybe. But I honestly think that he won't.

Think about it,
    Curry is only 28,
    Durant is what, 29?
    Kyrie is 24,
    You got people like Karl Anthony Towns (Praised be his name) and Wiggins and others that are all in this league.

heck, I think that James Harden is more likely to win MVP then him. (If he shapes up on defense)

Seriously, when was the last time a Big Man won MVP in this league?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's 04's Garnett?

Complete domination of that award by Wings and PGs.

Learning to shoot layups

About Anthony Davis.

I don't really think he'll win MVP either.
    He's had one winning season in his career so far.
    Is it blasphamy to say that the Unibrow won't win an MVP in my opinion?
    Maybe. But I honestly think that he won't.

Think about it,
    Curry is only 28,
    Durant is what, 29?
    Kyrie is 24,
    You got people like Karl Anthony Towns (Praised be his name) and Wiggins and others that are all in this league.

heck, I think that James Harden is more likely to win MVP then him. (If he shapes up on defense)

Seriously, when was the last time a Big Man won MVP in this league?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's 04's Garnett?

Complete domination of that award by Wings and PGs.
    I love the Wolves and think they will be great, but I don't see Wiggins as being anythinh more than a slightly better version of DeMar DeRozan. KAT is going to be a baller though. Davis, if he gets a winning team and actually plays teal defense (not just stat stuffing D) will win at least one. He needs to stay healthy as well for 70+ games.

Harden will never win one. He's in his prime and this is the best we'll get. Curry + Durant will be amazing but hard for either to get their stats. All with Klay & Draymond on the team. There's only one ball on the court.

Kyrie, that's another story. Dude could be really good (as if he's not already lol). I just think Kawhi at 25 has so much room to grow too and is already established. But how does he go from #2 in voting to not even getting mentioned?

I love the Wolves and think they will be great, but I don't see Wiggins as being anythinh more than a slightly better version of DeMar DeRozan. KAT is going to be a baller though. Davis, if he gets a winning team and actually plays teal defense (not just stat stuffing D) will win at least one. He needs to stay healthy as well for 70+ games.

Harden will never win one. He's in his prime and this is the best we'll get. Curry + Durant will be amazing but hard for either to get their stats. All with Klay & Draymond on the team. There's only one ball on the court.

Kyrie, that's another story. Dude could be really good (as if he's not already lol). I just think Kawhi at 25 has so much room to grow too and is already established. But how does he go from #2 in voting to not even getting mentioned?
    Let's all agree that if KAT wins the MVP everyone's happy, yeah?
    Also, Kawhi I can see winning an MVP with growth.
    Davis? I just don't feel it, I dunno.

Anyhow you seem to be a pretty strong Kawhi fan, so I wish you the best with that, I think the spurs still got a ring in them in their current version, also I'm excited to see Pau Gasol on your team.

Learning to shoot layups

Let's all agree that if KAT wins the MVP everyone's happy, yeah?
    Also, Kawhi I can see winning an MVP with growth.
    Davis? I just don't feel it, I dunno.

Anyhow you seem to be a pretty strong Kawhi fan, so I wish you the best with that, I think the spurs still got a ring in them in their current version, also I'm excited to see Pau Gasol on your team.
    Is it that obvious? Haha

I'd really like to see KAT win won. If the Spurs stop performing as well, my team would be the Wolves. Great group of young guys, particularly Towns. Such a down to Earth, polite, cool guy. He just dominated as a rookie and I don't remember any rookie being that good since, oh, LeBron probably. He will surpass AD by his junior season.

As someone else mentioned, Blake Griffin could have a good year too. He's an all around player who's gotten much better on the less glamorous end

Is it that obvious? Haha

I'd really like to see KAT win won. If the Spurs stop performing as well, my team would be the Wolves. Great group of young guys, particularly Towns. Such a down to Earth, polite, cool guy. He just dominated as a rookie and I don't remember any rookie being that good since, oh, LeBron probably. He will surpass AD by his junior season.

As someone else mentioned, Blake Griffin could have a good year too. He's an all around player who's gotten much better on the less glamorous end
    OH that's me lmao
    My prediction early in this thread is that Blake Griffin will nab the MVP.
    Just a hunch.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

There has only been one MVP in the modern era to win MVP and not be on a team that finished the season either first or second seed in their respective conference. That one player was Michael Jordan in 1988 and the Bulls were the 3rd seed in the East.

So, basically it took the greatest player of all-time at the peak of his athletic prowess to win an MVP without being a Top 2 conference team, and his team was still really good (he was also DPOY that year).

By extension, if you think Westbrook is going to win MVP this year, you either think that the Thunder are going to be the first or second seed in the West or that he's going to be the best player of all-time.

I don't think either of those things are likely.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    There has only been one MVP in the modern era to win MVP and not be on a team that finished the season either first or second seed in their respective conference. That one player was Michael Jordan in 1988 and the Bulls were the 3rd seed in the East.

So, basically it took the greatest player of all-time at the peak of his athletic prowess to win an MVP without being a Top 2 conference team, and his team was still really good (he was also DPOY that year).

By extension, if you think Westbrook is going to win MVP this year, you either think that the Thunder are going to be the first or second seed in the West or that he's going to be the best player of all-time.

I don't think either of those things are likely.
    Hmmm. I think the Thunder have a better squad than people think, and Curry, KD and LeBron could all be hindered by various factors. That leaves Kawhi, and i think Westbrook' will lead OKC to 50+ wins and average near a triple double, possibly get 25 triple doubles. Hard not to reward that holistic greatness, and the narrative is too good to be true. Westbrook is not MJ, but he's about to have a 1987-88 MJ-esque season imo. He's got that same dynamic athleticism and inexhaustible motor to get it done. He lacks MJ's lethal midrange jumper and GOAT finishing ability, though, so he won't be that close to as efficient. Westgod's got a great time.