Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

Default Re: **NEW VIDEO** Chamberlain in his twilight (Lakers Wilt)

Post more as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    70's Wilt looks insanely powerful. I still don't think he'd be as effectively strong as prime Shaq in a game setting because he has longer legs and a higher center of gravity, but look how SOLID he looks at the 10-12 second mark. Beast.

His vertical wasn't that impressive, but he WAS 32-36 years old in these clips, so we should keep that in mind. His quick jumping ability for blocks was great.
    In LA Laker form he's the 2nd heaviest player of all time. Only 2nd to Shaq. And much of Shaq's 325-350lbs (prime) was fat. Wilt's 300+ was lean body mass, - def very solid. Check his beastly explosion and dunk at the 1:19 mark.

5-time NBA All-Star

Great work!!! I didn't know you were DantheMan so I have to double up on the praise.

The quickness of a Wilt jumping on that double block of Russell (@ the 45 second mark) is crazy.

Kareem gets the better of him in the video, boooooooooo Great work tho. The clarity is outstanding - among the best I've seen of Wilt. A lot of times, the quality is so bad Wilt doesn't look as big as he does here.

Cav, who is the big guy that looks like Gilmore on the Knicks? I thought it was Gilmore.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    In LA Laker form he's the 2nd heaviest player of all time. Only 2nd to Shaq. And much of Shaq's 325-350lbs (prime) was fat. Wilt's 300+ was lean body mass, - def very solid. Check his beastly explosion and dunk at the 1:19 mark.

Prime Shaq would maul Wilt at any time in his career.

5-time NBA All-Star

70's Wilt looks insanely powerful. I still don't think he'd be as effectively strong as prime Shaq in a game setting because he has longer legs and a higher center of gravity, but look how SOLID he looks at the 10-12 second mark. Beast.

His vertical wasn't that impressive, but he WAS 32-36 years old in these clips, so we should keep that in mind. His quick jumping ability for blocks was great.
    He was 33+ in these videos, I believe? But DantheMan has other videos with his vertical being very impressive. You don't get the sky hook without height, timing and quickness afoot. But at 33+ and the seasons they had, by comparison this season was a lot easier than the way they had it then, and nobody has played outstanding or even consistently this year, so his bounce is amazing.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7

Shaq was a mauler. But I do think Wilt was always the better shot blocker, rebounder and defensive player. And at times a superior scorer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Great work!!! I didn't know you were DantheMan so I have to double up on the praise.

The quickness of a Wilt jumping on that double block of Russell (@ the 45 second mark) is crazy.

Kareem gets the better of him in the video, boooooooooo Great work tho. The clarity is outstanding - among the best I've seen of Wilt. A lot of times, the quality is so bad Wilt doesn't look as big as he does here.

Cav, who is the big guy that looks like Gilmore on the Knicks? I thought it was Gilmore.
    The footage might seem that way but it isn't the case for that particular series that it comes from - Kareem took such a beating from Wilt - to the extent that Wilt receive a several minutes long standing ovation at the end of the series from spectacle he put on in front of the Milwaukee Bucks crowd. Absolutely no one in the NBA was capable of playing MVP King Lew one-on-one like that. Alcindor was effectively erased that series because Wilt matched him in points, destroyed his fg%, outrebounded him, and blocked numerous amounts of his shots.

The Knick is HOF'er Willis Reed

5-time NBA All-Star

The footage might seem that way but it isn't the case for that particular series that it comes from - Kareem took such a beating from Wilt - to the extent that Wilt receive a several minutes long standing ovation at the end of the series from spectacle he put on in front of the Milwaukee Bucks crowd. Absolutely no one in the NBA was capable of playing MVP King Lew one-on-one like that. Alcindor was effectively erased that series because Wilt matched him in points, destroyed his fg%, outrebounded him, and blocked numerous amounts of his shots.

The Knick is HOF'er Willis Reed
    Sorry D, I wasn't clear at the 1:44 mark his number is 17. I've talked to Willis Reed on numerous occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7

Shaq never faced anyone close to the physical specimen Wilt was. Watch the video of Shaq's first game vs Yao Ming. Then compare Yao Ming to Wilt. Yao put Shaq in a momentary shell-shock because he was one of the first guys Shaq ever faced that was physically almost as massive as he was. Wilt compared to Yao, is heavier, longer in wingspan, reaches just as high standing flat footed, is much stronger, and has an explosion on par with Shaq, plus a better double-jump. I don't know the outcome of what a matchup would be, it would be epic as all hell. But It's idiotic to write Wilt off with a "Shaq would maul him" Comment. Shaq - as a physical specimen - could even be argued as a poor man's Wilt, like what Kobe is to Jordan. Shorter, less reach, less wingspan, similar strength, less well conditioned, worse stamina etc etc. However it isn't all one-sided because Shaq's could really throw his weight around and was just as explosive. He's a more stable platform with a lower C-O-G. So ultimately, as physical specimens, we're literally talking about Man O' War vs Secretariat shit. Just plain epic. And neither of them has ever faced physical equals in their NBA careers, because apart from each other - there is nobody that comes close to their combo of size and agility.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-02-2012 at 12:16 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

I think Sabonis was upwards of 300 pounds too.

5-time NBA All-Star

Shaq never faced anyone even remotely as close to the physical specimen Wilt was. Watch the video of Shaq's first game vs Yao Ming. Then compare Yao Ming to Wilt. Yao put Shaq in a momentary shell-shock because he was one of the first guys Shaq ever faced that was physically almost as massive as he was. Wilt compared to Yao, is heavier, longer in wingspan, reaches just as high standing flat footed, is much stronger, and has an explosion on par with Shaq, plus a better double-jump. I don't know the outcome of what a matchup would be, it would be epic as all hell. But It's idiotic to write Wilt off with a "Shaq would maul him" Comment. Shaq - as a physical specimen - is a poor man's Wilt. Shorter, less reach, less wingspan, similar strength, less well conditioned, etc etc. The only edge he's got is his weight, and his lower C-O-G. We're literally talking about Man O' War vs Secretariat shit as far as physical specimens is concerned. Neither has ever faced a physical equal.
    Wilt did play against Gilmore sobeit in an all star game. Wilt dominated him and Wilt wasn't in his prime. Robert Parish who played against Shaq and Gilmore said Gilmore was the strongest player he played against. Take into account a young Parish was more impressionable in his early 20's. Just food for thought, not meant to be an answer for anything.

I think Sabonis was upwards of 300 pounds too.
    275 in his prime IIRC, 290ish in his old-man NBA form. Wilt was 292 in his 4th season though. Bynum, Yao, older Sabonis, and the older Gilmore are the next closest individuals in body mass in comparison to Wilt - Wilt trails only Shaq. Shaq's bulk has a comfortable margin though. I think Wilt was ~315 max in the NBA. Shaq was as high as 368 (really out of shape at the time) but he actually played in relatively good shape, regularly, at 350.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-02-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Wilt did play against Gilmore sobeit in an all star game. Wilt dominated him and Wilt wasn't in his prime. Robert Parish who played against Shaq and Gilmore said Gilmore was the strongest player he played against. Take into account a young Parish was more impressionable in his early 20's. Just food for thought, not meant to be an answer for anything.
    True but to be fair Gilmore was about 245lbs at the time of the '72 All-Star game. Gilmore shot up to about 265 in the late 70's and 275 in the early 80's which is prob the time frame when Parish got the most definitive impression of Gilmore's strength.

Local High School Star

Sorry D, I wasn't clear at the 1:44 mark his number is 17. I've talked to Willis Reed on numerous occasions.
    Number 17 is presumably Nate Bowman http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/NYK/1970.html
    There have been guys as heavy/heavier than Wilt just not significant players and not of the same build. I assume this was what you meant. Examples would include Thomas Hamilton, Oliver Miller, John "Hot Plate" Williams, Jahidi White, Josh Moore (Brad Millard/Kenny George were projected as NBA players but for injuries/illnesses too). I think there are others in that ballpark.

Anyway great vid.

Righteous YouTube clip. Loved the classic matchup vs Abdul Jabbar.

Anyone ever see game footage of Chamberlain's last great game, Game 6 in 1970 Finals where he scored 45 and pulled down 27 boards? Seems like the NBA doesn't have it or never released it for some reason.