Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Default Re: How did Tacko Fall go undrafted?

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    You guys don't seem to understand summer league doesn't mean squat.

NBA is a completely different level, he clearly doesn't have the agility, speed, or overall athleticism to be much of a factor at that level.
    You'll see.

If guys like Looney can be solid contributors, there's little doubt Tacko can.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    You guys don't seem to understand summer league doesn't mean squat.

NBA is a completely different level, he clearly doesn't have the agility, speed, or overall athleticism to be much of a factor at that level.
    Exactly.

Local High School Star

Too much importance on combo guards. As long a guy can offer some rim protection in crucial mins of game he should get a contract from someone.

Ainge came out yesterday and practically confirmed that Tacko will have some kind of spot on the Roster. This is excellent.

The guy is tall like Bol or Bradley but has a body which is not twig-like and skinny. He's filled in. Runs well.

On top of this, he has a high level of intelligence.

Really excited about his pontential.

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

I'm still pissed the Magic didn't draft him or sign him for the SL squad. He clearly can play.

We know he is a roster player, will only get limited minutes as a rookie.

About 10 minutes a game will be great, get a couple of rebounds, a few points, plus a block or two.

Celtics will have to rely on Kemba, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart.
    Let Tacko develop.

Quote Originally Posted by WillyJakk
    I'm still pissed the Magic didn't draft him or sign him for the SL squad. He clearly can play.
    It's cuz you have Mo Bamba, it would be redundant.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thefatmiral
    Too much importance on combo guards. As long a guy can offer some rim protection in crucial mins of game he should get a contract from someone.
    Not if he's too slow to guard the high pick and roll. The days of Mark Eaton standing near the rim with his arms up are over(they should have never happened actually). You have to be athletic enough to guard away from the rim too

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    Because at the very most he'll be a 10-15 mpg player.

Which is more than enough of a reason to use a 2nd round pick on him. He will find his place in the league as a situational role player, think Boban Marjanovic but even bigger and much better at defense.

idk why the Lakers selected THT when we could have actually used Tacko as a quality backup big. I like McGee for his athleticism, but it never hurts to have 3 centers on a team.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    Which is more than enough of a reason to use a 2nd round pick on him. He will find his place in the league as a situational role player, think Boban Marjanovic but even bigger and much better at defense.

idk why the Lakers selected THT when we could have actually used Tacko as a quality backup big. I like McGee for his athleticism, but it never hurts to have 3 centers on a team.
    Lakers don't like young guys. They have become the farm team for the rest of the league. They could have kept Zubac and Thomas Bryant and Julius Randle...

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Not if he's too slow to guard the high pick and roll. The days of Mark Eaton standing near the rim with his arms up are over(they should have never happened actually). You have to be athletic enough to guard away from the rim too
    I am sure it is not the Tacko of right now is what Ainge looking for.

We are all looking for the learning curve and development of him.

He already has a natural advantage in his height. His ball handling, movement are not that bad. After training with the professional, live as a professional (example diet)... he could improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Lakers don't like young guys. They have become the farm team for the rest of the league. They could have kept Zubac and Thomas Bryant and Julius Randle...

Farm team? They turned Lonzo, Ingram, and Hart into AD. Only the three big guys you just mentioned ended up getting away without anything of value being returned to the Lakers, everything else they've gotten value back from.

As for the guys you've mentioned, had they kept Randle we would have had to pay him. I like Julius, I don't like Julius on a 20m per year deal when we are trying to win a championship. Zubac was not in the plans to be kept on the team, and there was A LOT MORE behind the scenes to that trade that you are obviously unaware of. Javale Mcgee and Magic Johnson have a lot to do with him being traded, but mind you I have completely found peace with losing him because he is pretty replaceable. He's a cute center to play 20 mins per game, but I'd take Cousins over Zubac any day.

As for Thomas Bryant, he is one I can 100% agree with you that we ****ed up on. Never gave him a chance, declined his team option when it was affordable af, and he would have fit next to AD pretty damn well. Strong big man who can wet it from outside. On a very solid 3yrs/$25m as well, it's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo

McGee/Cousins will take up almost all the minutes at the 5 and we'll have Davis playing 5 as well against smaller line-ups, I don't think he would have been worth the roster spot for us.

Turned Dlo into BroLo (solid player but ultimately used for capspace, aka Lebron) and Kuzma

Clarkson and Nance into capspace (that was used to sign Lebron James) and Moe Wagner (traded for capspace)

Hart, Lonzo, and Ingram were traded for Anthony Davis

Randle was allowed to walk (my guy, but rightfully so...he wouldn't fit), Bryant waived

Zubac traded due to internal drama

You gotta remember the bad contracts that were on this team. Deng and Mozgov handicapped us, and Dlo's deal helped us get rid of Mozgov and turn him into an expiring contract which was HUGE.

Like I said, other than Thomas Bryant there are really no regrets with the way the Lakers used their young guys. This is a better situation than Boston, who refused to move their young guys and because of that lost out on a number of big names (much like how we originally lost out on Paul George and Kawhi back in 2017) and are left as a solid, but ultimately mid level team.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLurk
    He'd be a star in the 80's/90's...but the league has more talent now.