Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default FiveThirtyEight 2020 projections

Last edited by Facepalm; 07-17-2019 at 12:24 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: 538 2020 projections

Rockets at #1 is crazy and could be a shining example of stats gone wrong...... unless they actually maximize the immense talent they have

They could do this by putting Westbrook off-ball, mj-style

If Westbrook can mimic MJ off-ball, then who knows - maybe they can win the West, assuming they can play some D

Other than MJ's catch-and-shoot ability, Westbrook has similar footwork to MJ (i.e. MJ's optimal lean-in footwork and vertical leaping style) and I could see him being devastating off-ball, especially in this spaced-out environment

Default Re: 538 2020 projections

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Rockets at #1 is crazy and could be a shining example of stats gone wrong...... unless they actually maximize the immense talent they have

They could do this by putting Westbrook off-ball, mj-style

If Westbrook can mimic MJ off-ball, then who knows - maybe they can win the West, assuming they can play some D

Other than MJ's catch-and-shoot ability, Westbrook has similar footwork to MJ (i.e. MJ's optimal lean-in footwork and vertical leaping style) and I could see him being devastating off-ball, especially in this spaced-out environment

Harden has already proven to be a better pg than Westbrook so I agree with you.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: FiveThirtyEight 2020 projections

Where do you guys think the Rockets actually should project in terms of wins if you think they are so far off?

They won 65 in 18 and 53 last year despite Paul missing like 1/4 of the season. Rivers also was a nice fit and he was added for a limited number of games.

They'll also, almost for sure, add another rotation player at some point during the season that helps.

58 wins seems perfectly reasonable given the evidence.

their system has accounted more for load management, coasting type stuff now because the cavs kept making the finals with meh regular season resumes. With that it makes more sense the clips are a mid tier seed since kawhi's not going give 100% during the rs and he and george might each play like 60 games. 48 still seems way too low however

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Where do you guys think the Rockets actually should project in terms of wins if you think they are so far off?

They won 65 in 18 and 53 last year despite Paul missing like 1/4 of the season. Rivers also was a nice fit and he was added for a limited number of games.

They'll also, almost for sure, add another rotation player at some point during the season that helps.

58 wins seems perfectly reasonable given the evidence.
    I'm ok with 58 for the Rockets, It's mostly how low the Clippers are that surprises me although NBAGoat has a good point

538 does statistical analysis, so is it surprising that their #1 seed projects to be the team with the 2 biggest regular season stat whores of all time?

538 is a joke... A bunch of mumbo jumbo that doesn't predict shit

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

538 does statistical analysis, so is it surprising that they project the team with the 2 biggest regular season stat whores of all time to be #1?

How many wins do you think the Rockets get next year?

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    How many wins do you think the Rockets get next year?
    55-60

But Clips and Lakers should be flirting with 70 wins each, like the warriors and Spurs a few years ago, assuming every team does load management so that cancels out

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

538 does statistical analysis, so is it surprising that their #1 seed projects to be the team with the 2 biggest regular season stat whores of all time?

Westbrook and hardens style works in the regular season... So they are right.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

I can see the Rockets having a huge regular season. Westbrook will be exposed in the playoffs yet again though

I think they're underselling the Pacers and overselling the Rockets. Otherwise, not bad.

During conference finals while bucks and warriors were looking good, they had raps as favorites to win the title. Midseason had raptors over bucks even with how good the bucks were looking
    Last edited by NBAGOAT; 07-17-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT
    they predicted raptors over warriors midway through the season. Even during conference finals while bucks and warriors were looking good, they had raps as favorites to win the title
    So did I, and i didn't need a bunch of stats

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT
    they predicted raptors over warriors midway through the season. Even during conference finals while bucks and warriors were looking good, they had raps as favorites to win the title
    Btw, 538 says lebron's heat and Cavs are the most stacked teams ever on paper as of 2016

And they said mj won his 91' and 93' rings with the weakest casts ever to win, aside from the 03' Spurs, 94' to let's and 11' mavs