NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Fake Chris Paul Trades

After reading a bit more on the Paul situation, it seems like he's less valuable than I initially thought on that contract around the league. Now, it could be posturing, but I think he might have negative value right now...perhaps significantly negative value.

I still think the Heat make the most sense...so I'm trying to come up with trades that improve them enough to warrant taking on Paul without the Thunder giving up assets...because I don't think the Thunder are ever doing that if they can get under the tax other ways, which they can.

In addition, reports out of Miami are that they don't want to trade Winslow or Bam.

So...how about something like;

Dallas - (Dragic)

Miami - (Paul/Gallo)

OKC - (Lee/Dallas 2nd Round Pick)(Waiters/Olynk/Johnson)(Heat 2023 1-4 Protected Pick/Heat 2025 Top 1 Protected Pick)

For clarification, the Thunder already own the Heat's 2023 pick, but it is currently lottery protected. The deal above would change that protections to only 1-4.

So, Dallas gets a decent player at a position of need for a low price while saving the Thunder money on a player they don't want/need...and get a pick out of it.

The Thunder save money both short-term and long-term...get 3 contracts that will be expiring next year that can be used in trades. Olynk has positive trade value going forward as well...change the protections on the 2023 pick they own...and get what could be a super valuable first rounder in 2025.

Heat don't lose anything of real value on their team currently and add two players that actually fit well around what they have imo.

Paul/Butler/Winslow/Gallo/Bam...would actually challenge for the Finals in the East.

They'd be a top 3 defense in the league...and if Herro could become a legit rotation player...they'd actually already have a really good top 8 with Leonard/Herro/Jones off the bench.

Riley gets to make his last run and Thunder have yet another chance to land a franchise player in the draft years from now with the 2025 pick that would have a chance at being top 5.

Thunder would obviously want more, but this is better than buying out Paul and those contracts they'd be getting would allow them to make trades they otherwise wouldn't have been able to...

I think I'd do it for sure if I'm Dallas and Miami...not sure about the Thunder. It would depend on what Paul's value really is around the league currently.

Default Re: Fake Chris Paul Trades

Even if he has negative value, wouldn't OKC want to deal him no matter what because of his contract and that he most likely wouldn't want to be there. Or would they really buy him out?

But that's an interesting move for Miami and I like that team. I take it OKC has no real interest in keeping Gallo if a good trade presents itself.

Averaging 1.4 ppg RealSkipBayless's Avatar

You been wanting Dragic for a while, haven't you? haha

Anyway I just don't see it happening. Apparently Miami wants their picks returned in exchange. It really just comes down to two options. Either Chris Paul takes his money and does nothing with the rest of his career. Or he gives up like $40 mil at least to be bought out. Miami is content and was more interested in Westbrook.

I can't recall in any sport where an athlete had a buyout of 100+ million remaining.

Miami doesn

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealSkipBayless
    You been wanting Dragic for a while, haven't you? haha

Anyway I just don't see it happening. Apparently Miami wants their picks returned in exchange. It really just comes down to two options. Either Chris Paul takes his money and does nothing with the rest of his career. Or he gives up like $40 mil at least to be bought out. Miami is content and was more interested in Westbrook.
    I don't care much about Dragic...but it would be fun. It also just makes sense in a trade like this as the Thunder and Heat wouldn't want him.

Yes, that is why Gallo would be included and why the Heat wouldn't have to give up any of their good young players or key players.

There is no way the Thunder are giving up picks to move Paul when they can get under the tax and decrease salary while getting assets in return for a guy like Gallo.

He'll get bought out, which I think is unlikely, way before the Thunder give up assets to shed him.