Thread: Top 5 of 2015

NBA lottery pick

Default Top 5 of 2015

As the year comes to a close, what were the standout games for you?

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Default Re: Top 5 of 2015

the 5 games I had the most fun with this year (in no order)

Dying Light
    ESO
    2k16
    FO4
    and currently, Rainbox 6 Siege

never got around to trying MGS, but it looked incredibly fun

and now that i look at it, i think my list is the only 5 games i bought/played that came out this year
    Last edited by Levity; 12-09-2015 at 07:25 PM.

National High School Star

Here's is my rundown of my top picks for 2015, in no particular order and only from games that i have played (Platforms - Wii U, 3DS & PS4)

Xenoblade Chronicals X - Wii U

9/10

Yes, this game only just came out, which probably helps it's case here, but i just can't put it down. The sheer size is amazing on the Wii U, and although there was an extreme case of hand holding during the first couple hours, once it opens up, it's purely wonderful.

Quite often having to work out what to do myself is great as i get distracted quite often and each little part to unlock takes ages that by the time you get something, it's truly appreciated. Now i just can't wait to get my own Skell (Basically a big power suit)

Rocket League - PS4

9.5/10

Probably my favorite game on the list, super addicting and unexpectedly deep. Learning how to get to the ball when it's in the air and make accurate shots/passes is a rewarding experience.

I have easily killed days just playing 3v3 online. Made more fun once finding a good group with a unique mix of offence/defense & strategies. Plus split screen couch play on top!

Bloodborne - PS4

9/10

The lore made this game amazing to me, having only played Dark Souls once before, and all of about 10 minutes. I stepped into this not knowing what to expect. Parts of it were hard, Damn you Ebrietas! I also found the game to get borderline scary playing chalice dungeons/Nightmare Frontier at night wearing headphones with a real risk of dieing everywhere.

I have yet to play the DLC thanks to Rocket League not letting me go, but i will get to it hopefully over Christmas. Definitely on of the more memorable games i have ever played and i can't wait to dive back into Yharnam

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PS4

8.5/10

I have never played a game that has made the smallest side quest feel like a big deal, also the ability to stumble into monster lairs where a real bonus. The character development was an A++ & the world was amazing.
    Although later in the game, it felt more like a head here collect this sort of deal & i never fully caught onto the enjoyment of Gwent.

Still, this game kept me hooked for a long while. The game play wasn't the greatest, but the story was where it was at.

Honestly, i can't pick a clear cut 5th, i may revisit it later in the week as i review my decisions.

Honorable Mentions:

Dragonball Xenoverse
    The controls were a bit clunky and the gameplay was a bit hit/miss with extreme difficulty spikes. But i loved the huge roster of fighters that you had to unlock and being able to creat your own Z fighter who could go super saiyan was perfect.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
    Another JRPG that is hard to pick up, but the game is so deep and it has built on 3 perfectly, now adding a jump feature makes you feel more mobile then ever before. If they can make the combat more and more like Dragons Dogma, this game would be perfect.

Life is Strange
    While not hard, it was an enjoyable game to play. Every action having consequences and just watching the story unfold. Some minor puzzles and choosing what path to take were certainly fun. Also good as it kept the missus off my back as she enjoyed watching it like a movie.

MGS: V
    Played it, loved it, but it didn't hold me long. The story was ok, but i found the first hour through the hospital really irritating and boring. Never played the online section so can't speak on that. The gameplay was superb though and the graphics were top notch. I loved the stealth and how the enemies adapted starting to use nightvision and helmets thanks to my preference of night missions and sniper rifles.

Dying Light - PS4
    Yeah, it was a fry cry clone in a different setting, but i didn't give a F. It was super fun, could be hard if you didn't plan your attack, especially early game. With some great story points and missions. Yeah you got pretty OP late game but what game don't you.

Zelda - Majoras Mask - 3DS
    How could i not include this? One of my favorite games of all time coming to a handheld i can play anywhere? Also being able to have Zelda: Ocarina of Time and this downloaded to my system was the best.
    Last edited by Ai2death; 12-09-2015 at 08:07 PM.

I honestly barely bought any games this year.
    I just bought a few big titles;

1) MGS V
    2) Witcher 3
    3) The Show 15

I didn't really like Madden and got bored of it kind of quick...it was fun at first, but maybe I'm just growing out of sports games. The only game I passionately play is The Show & FIFA; which is ironic because baseball is my least favorite sport to watch.

I never did end up getting FIFA this year.
    The other games I bought this year were all remasters (Tomb Raider, GTA, Uncharted & TLOU).

Witcher 3 had a far better story than MGS, but the mechanics of MGS was flawless to me. The open world made the possibilities endless.

I can play this game over and over again; it has unlimited replay value, IMO.

Banned

Best game: Fallout 4; Best all-round package of gameplay, story, identity and authenticity... Witcher lacked immersive gameplay and combat which is a huge deal to me, MGS 5 lacked purpose and direction in story, and as much innovative, as is a clueless identity. If you were drawn in for a classic MGS experience, you might not be satisfied.

Best shooter: Halo 5

Best multiplayer Halo 5

1. Metal Gear Solid V
    2. The Witcher 3

Two masterpieces.

Fallout 4 is the only other game I played this year and I couldn't get into it.

Really want to play the new Tomb Raider, but it doesn't come out on PS4 for a while.

NBA lottery pick

I haven't committed to Xbox one or PS4 yet, so I ended up getting more use out of my WiiU, handhelds and PC, and I still haven't played a lot of the big releases like Fallout because I usually wait for sales when it comes to PC games. I also picked up Xenoblade Chronicles but I haven't had a chance to really put any time into it yet.

My top 5:

Splatoon
    -Really fresh take on multiplayer shooters, and the single player ended up being surprisingly great. Nintendo has really supported it well too, it's had quite a bit of content added since release, all for free too.

Mario Maker
    -Not a lot to say about this one, it's a mario platformer where you can make and share your levels. It's really the creativity of the community that makes it so much fun to play.

Isaac Afterbirth

Terreria 1.3

-Both of these are older games, however they both got a sizable update this year, and I found myself putting more time into them then any other game this year. I'm still playing Isaac all the time, way too addictive.

Undertale
    -This one kind of came out of nowhere. On the surface it appears to be just an Earthbound inspired RPG, but it's got a lot more going on for it. Absolutely worth checking out, just a neat experience. Probably my favorite soundtrack from any game this year too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijrzwMLd218
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ_H-_NI4SU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WDFUcjWARU

Banned

Heroes of the Storm
    Fallout 4
    Splatoon
    Majora's Mask 3D

I want to give Arkham Knight a spot, I've heard it's fantastic, but it's still supposed to be a buggy piece of shit on PC so I've held out on buying it. Probably forgetting something as I rarely purchase games on release so I don't really keep track of when they come out.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Probably the least amount of gaming I've done in a long while. My list:

Life is Strange
    Rocket League

That's it. Several games I been wanting to try, tho: Ori, Monster Hunter, Kerbal, Isaac: Afterbirth, Prison Architect, Mario Maker, Witcher 3, Her Story, Undertale ...

And I need to find time to play more of the new COD and Cities. Hell, I haven't touched 2K in months and that's the one game I play every year without reserve.

btw Life is Strange episode 1 is on the dollar tier on Humble Bundle this week. Pick it up. And then buy the other 4 episodes on steam's winter sale because you're going to eventually do it anyway.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Until Dawn.

Arkham Knight

Axiom Verge

1) The Witcher 3

2) Pillars of Eternity

3) Fallout 4

didn't really put substantial hours into anything else

I know it's only been out for a week but this is the best game of 2015: