alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Default It's early but damn Seventh Woods

15 years old damn... this kid is the future...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hW2WYg6LYk

i bet teams would be watching out for this guy...

Default Re: It's early but damn Seventh Woods

i mean, he's a freak athlete and all, but he's not close to being even the best player in the class, and like you said it's still really early. not too sure about him being the future.

I think you can see his improvement comparing this video to his original mixtape that made him a star online. He might not be the best in his class right now but it is encouraging to see him progress.

Well he's in the same class as Harry Giles, Thon Marker, and wings (Jackson, King, and Tatum) who played close to par with the best of the current senior class. 2016 is trending to be stacked. Like 2007-level stacked.

Scout did a top 100 list, regardless of class, not long ago and Giles was #2. Which if you don't know, it takes a special amount of talent and upside to be considered better than players a class above yours, much less two classes. And they ranked Giles at #2 with a torn ACL and MCL.

Anyway, I think Woods ends up around the top 5. Scouts seemed reluctant to give him the jump early on because it would appear like it was based on that hype he received from that one mix. He's proven to be more than just an athlete since.

I'm curious to see his measurements.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Well he's in the same class as Harry Giles, Thon Marker, and wings (Jackson, King, and Tatum) who played close to par with the best of the current senior class. 2016 is trending to be stacked. Like 2007-level stacked.

Scout did a top 100 list, regardless of class, not long ago and Giles was #2. Which if you don't know, it takes a special amount of talent and upside to be considered better than players a class above yours, much less two classes. And they ranked Giles at #2 with a torn ACL and MCL.

Anyway, I think Woods ends up around the top 5. Scouts seemed reluctant to give him the jump early on because it would appear like it was based on that hype he received from that one mix. He's proven to be more than just an athlete since.

I wish that list had the 2013 class with Wiggins, Randle and Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    I wish that list had the 2013 class with Wiggins, Randle and Parker.
    That would have been interesting. Not necessarily how I would rank them, but imo,
    1) Andrew Wiggins (2013)
    2) Julius Randle (2013)
    3) Jabari Parker (2013)
    4) Jahil Okafor (2014)
    5) Aaron Gordon (2013)
    6) Andrew Harrison (2013)
    7) Harry Giles (2016)
    8) Myles Turner (2014)
    9) Emmanuel Mudiay (2014)
    10) Tyus Jones (2014)

...Is what the top 10 would have looked like that based on the original top 100 list and their rankings from 2013. A little unsure on where Okafor enters the picture and if the Harrison SG tops one of those 8, 9, or 10th ranked 2014 guys.

Speaking of which, because I've just always assumed you either live in or are from North Carolina, how has Giles' recovery/rehab gone? And I'm pretty sure I've asked you this before (probably in this thread) and you've answered, but how legit are UNC's chances of landing a major, UK-esque recruiting class in 2012? The player I've always had #1 on my list (for obvious reasons) from that class is Giles, but I know Roy is interested in and already working on (to some extent) some big names. 2014 is already more than a little salty, so it'd be nice if he could string together several big time classes to go with 2014. I mean I could be way off base here, but I think Berry and Jackson will have a chance to be instant impact type players, but also seem to be the types that could be here 2-3 years.

Banned

That would have been interesting. Not necessarily how I would rank them, but imo,
    1) Andrew Wiggins (2013)
    2) Julius Randle (2013)
    3) Jabari Parker (2013)
    4) Jahil Okafor (2014)
    5) Aaron Gordon (2013)
    6) Andrew Harrison (2013)
    7) Harry Giles (2016)
    8) Myles Turner (2014)
    9) Emmanuel Mudiay (2014)
    10) Tyus Jones (2014)

...Is what the top 10 would have looked like that based on the original top 100 list and their rankings from 2013. A little unsure on where Okafor enters the picture and if the Harrison SG tops one of those 8, 9, or 10th ranked 2014 guys.
    Is Aaron Gordon and Andrew Harrison better prospects than Giles? Btw, how good do you think Josh Jackson is? He's #2 on ESPN behind Thon Maker, #2 on 247 behind Giles and #1 on Yahoo for 2016. Do you think he'll be on par with prospects at SF like Wiggins and Parker?

Also, who will go #1 in the Draft in 2015. Okafor or Turner? Who'll be the better NBA player? Sorry for all the questions but I dont know a whole lot about high school basketball and I'd appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
    i mean, he's a freak athlete and all, but he's not close to being even the best player in the class, and like you said it's still really early. not too sure about him being the future.
    I've posted this before, but Aaron Gordon went to the hgih school I'm currently attending and even at 14 years old he was drawing comparisions to blake griffin with his athleticism much like Woods is to Wall or even Rose. Over the next few years AG worked tirelessly on his game especially during the offseason(he had a separate key to the gym and would come in to shoot before going on the road for AAU circuits etc).

Not going anywhere with the last paragraph but basically what I'm trying to say is you can't teach athleticism like you can teach a jumper or footwork and college and NBA scouts know that.

I mean lets be honest, Wiggins wasn't the #1 pick because of his skillset. Sure, from his mixtape it may have seemed like he has godly handles and can shoot the ball and has an unguardable spin move, but if you watched his hs games full-length, he would not be. able to get shots off cause of things like not being able to get enough separation withthe 1 dribble pulll-up, or spin into the lane to face a doubleteam and haveto throw a wild kickout that more often or not resulted in turnovers. But then he would throw down 2 or 3 crazy dunks and get a mean block and then rack up his point total at the line so when people clicked on the highlight vid or boxscore for said game they would only be impressed.

extra note: Stanley Johnson could very well end up being the best player out of 2014, last year Mater Dei played us for the California state title and everyone was exxpecting a blowout win for them, but many of their "stars" didn't show up but Stanley just went nuts and outplayed Aaron the entire game en route to a narrow victory.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Speaking of which, because I've just always assumed you either live in or are from North Carolina, how has Giles' recovery/rehab gone? And I'm pretty sure I've asked you this before (probably in this thread) and you've answered, but how legit are UNC's chances of landing a major, UK-esque recruiting class in 2012? The player I've always had #1 on my list (for obvious reasons) from that class is Giles, but I know Roy is interested in and already working on (to some extent) some big names. 2014 is already more than a little salty, so it'd be nice if he could string together several big time classes to go with 2014.
    Heard he's on the expected pace. Should be playing this summer, unless there's a setback.

The thing about the 2016 class is that I think it will be Roy's last class, in terms of who he will be coaching into their junior and possibly senior seasons. Retirement watch should be around 2018-2020-ish, no? Also think this whole PJ ordeal (with 2010, Leslie, even the football stuff) and with the way college basketball appears to be changing, the game is passing him a little in a similar way it did with Coach Smith. Not as a coach, as I firmly believe the 1998 Heels (ugh, and my favorite single season sports team ever) would have won it all with Dean Smith court side. They should have won it all, even without him... And I already said that I believe this current core will be competing possibly as soon as next year. For sure in two years. Just the recruits, the kids, the way of recruiting. Purely speculation, but I think Roy is tired of it. Around 2020 is when I have been expecting him to retire anyway. He will be close to 70, K should be retired or really close to it, enough years into the new ACC, etc.

As far as the 2016 class goes? Obvious potential. Not only the talent, it's seemingly recruitable talent, and these guys are all right in our backyard.

Couldn't ask for a better start with Giles. Helps that we have Theo coming in and he's obviously priority #1. Family is pro-UNC, he makes relatively regular visits, he happens to be close with the recruits we are recruiting (Dozier, Woods, Tatum, and obviously Theo)... Interestingly this should be the first recruit UNC, dook, and UK will be going all in on since Cal arrived. Should be a painstakingly fun recruitment.

Good shot with Woods, from what I hear. Not sure where we stand right now, though, if we land Dozier it will help a lot. There should be a gap between Berry and Woods (or any 2016 PG), so the depth chart hopefully won't be an issue.

I don't know about Tatum. Loved his quotes after Roy offered. I am guessing it will be a long shot.

Those are the three offered. Then you have Bam Bam Adebayo (North Carolina kid, shows up to most of our games, borderline top 10 talent) and Junior Smith (North Carolina kid, top 25 talent). Both have shown interest in UNC. We will see if Roy reciprocates.

Also Raekwon Long, Thon Maker, Kwe Parker... They are all in the DMV. Braxton Blackwell is trending high major (ranked 28 right now) and he's Coach Rob's nephew. Of course there's always late risers like Robert Johnson (IU) or Brice Johnson. Anthony Davis or Myles Turner if you want go with players we didn't recruit

It's Roy's chance at a last hurrah class and it all sets up nicely for him.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I mean I could be way off base here, but I think Berry and Jackson will have a chance to be instant impact type players, but also seem to be the types that could be here 2-3 years.
    I think Jackson is. What's interesting is how Tokoto is progressing. If he keeps up his recent play, I don't see how you sit him. Neither Tokoto nor Jackson are 2-guards... I wonder how that works out?

Have you seen Pinson's numbers lately? 23/47 from 3 on the season. 77% from the line at 95 attempts. Shot better than that from the line at the camps. Should be impactful right away on defense, his ability to slash, aggressive nature, and as a secondary handler. If he didn't have such a hideous looking jumper, you would think he's a half decent shooter. I'm starting to think he might contribute from day 1. Shooting was the only thing you had to worry about him and he's shooting better than he ever has. Worse looking jumpers have shot good percentages in the NBA. Hope he keeps it up.

But then look at what Paige is doing as an off guard. The kid is a legitimate candidate for the player of the year. Assuming he returns, why mess with that?

I genuinely have no clue what our starting 1-3 looks like next year. All I know is that there's Marcus Paige and a bunch of options. Good options. So good that I fear someone might transfer.

Is Aaron Gordon and Andrew Harrison better prospects than Giles?
    I think the list is a combination of current talent and potential prospects as a college player and beyond (like how they do rankings for each year). If it's purely NBA potential, the list would look different. I suspect Giles would have been ranked no lower than 3. Probably right behind of Wiggins, based on what scouts have been saying about Wiggins and the fact that Giles was a freshman if you included the 2013 class. Personally, I think Giles is a better prospect, but I have a tendency to favor the big man. Turner would also be higher.

Btw, how good do you think Josh Jackson is? He's #2 on ESPN behind Thon Maker, #2 on 247 behind Giles and #1 on Yahoo for 2016. Do you think he'll be on par with prospects at SF like Wiggins and Parker?
    No clue.

Everything I know about him is purely from reading. From my understanding, he's an exceptional athlete. Not just run and jump, but he's fast, really fast, he's agile, he might have the best body control in his class (at least at his listed 6-6 size), and because of those traits he's obviously proven to be a high level slasher for his age.

I actually think he might end up being a tall guard. Or more 2/3, like a Paul George, than a traditional small forward. Not saying he's George, but just an idea of his potential positional versatility down the line. He's a little undersized right now for the SF position anyway. Although he is just a child... I say about a kid who, right now, is bigger than I will ever be.

If he is better than Tatum (who I have seen very little of) like some rank him, then he must be really good. I'll say that.

Also, who will go #1 in the Draft in 2015. Okafor or Turner? Who'll be the better NBA player?
    I'm pretty bad at projecting the draft and I'm almost equally as bad at projecting NBA careers. Fanhood aside, I would have sworn Felton would be an allstar. Same with Brandan Wright. Heck, I still think Wright could be an above average starter if he could ever stay healthy.

I think Turner is a better prospect if that helps at all. But then again, I'm not as high on Okafor the NBA player as others are. He will be good in college.

You can only tell so much based on high school play, and even then... People thought Harrison Barnes was the coming in high school. People thought the same of Drummond, then he had a lackluster season at UConn, and now he looks like he might be who we all thought he was. I don't envy NBA scouts at all.

2014 doesn't look like a great NBA class. It wouldn't surprise me if one of the non-top 2-3 guys outplays everyone. Twin Beadles mentioned Stanley Johnson and he was arguably the best high school player this summer. Mudiay obviously has the potential of a top pick. I don't know if playing in the AAC is going to hurt his stock, although I'm sure Larry Brown still has some say in the NBA. Also who returns to college? I doubt every top prospect leaves.

Man, I type too much on this site. It's only intentional when I come on here looking to blow off steam on how crappy the Heels are playing. Sorry for the long posts; especially the posts with no answers in them.

^^ that's all good i always enjoy reading your post i wonder what is your take on giles vs marker...

You are right about giles being like a young kg ... the 2016 class seems like its really deep....

Have you seen Pinson's numbers lately? 23/47 from 3 on the season. 77% from the line at 95 attempts. Shot better than that from the line at the camps. Should be impactful right away on defense, his ability to slash, aggressive nature, and as a secondary handler. If he didn't have such a hideous looking jumper, you would think he's a half decent shooter. I'm starting to think he might contribute from day 1. Shooting was the only thing you had to worry about him and he's shooting better than he ever has. Worse looking jumpers have shot good percentages in the NBA. Hope he keeps it up.
    Yeah, that's why I didn't mention Pinson as a possible instant impact player. If he couldn't shoot/space the floor, I just didn't see many minutes for him next year. Of course Jackson may not get a ton either and Berry may be the 3rd PG although I expect Paige to primarily play off-guard next year. Besides, I thought Hicks was the type that would come in and eventually make a pretty nice impact as a freshman, but he's basically being used as an emergency SF. I mean I still have no doubt he's more talented than Jackson Simmons and, obviously, has a ton more upside, but I haven't really seen hardly any flashes of anything, yet, that have made me feel good about him being a high impact player anytime soon...even by next season. Of course this early into John Henson's career I thought the same thing and, like Hicks, it was mostly because he was playing out of position.

he tore his acl?

ACL, MCL and meniscus.
    http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...-and-meniscus/

re Hicks: His situation is a poor one all the way around. He's a 4 without the necessary skills, can't play the 3 or 5, has two of the best players on the team in front of him at his position, would be 3rd stringer at the 3 or 5 even if he could play them... It's not a good situation. He's the only player on the team who gets pulled after a single mistake.

I really wish for once we could blow out some of these teams we are supposed to blow out. That way Hicks can get extended minutes and we can actually see what he can do. He looked good to start off the half against Northern Kentucky. That was 3 or 4 minutes stringed together.

I still think he becomes what we thought McAdoo would be. No tangible evidence to back that claim up. Gut feeling based off his elite quickness, good hands, and that he actually finishes strong at the rim. McAdoo would be that McAdoo if he had didn't have the worst touch in the college basketball and stopped avoiding defenders in the air. Hicks shouldn't have those problems.

Giles vs Maker.

Never seen Maker until a couple days ago and he is fast! Absurdly fast for a 7+ footer in high school. Can actually handle a little and saw him shoot and make 3pters. Actually, he played a good amount around the perimeter which I thought was odd. Most of his points were still from dunks, though. Reminded me a little of Ralph Sampson with the way he moves. He's that coordinated and similar body types. I doubt his body will handle much weight. I think his lack of strength will hurt him in the pros, to be honest.

Seen Giles play a couple times and not to overstate, but the kid is a phenom. He plays and moves like a wing in a PFs body. I can't believe how nimble and agile he is at that height. He's physical, though, can post up, stretch the floor a little, and he was unstoppable off the bounce. Good touch around the rim and he dunks whenever he can. And I'm pretty sure he was 14 years old when I last saw him play. I went to see Theo Pinson and left sure that Giles was not only the best prospect on the floor, but probably the best player. He definitely has a lot of Webber and Garnett in his game. My favorite thing about him is that he has perimeter skills, yet knows he's a PF. Just unusually skilled all the way around.

Anyway, same place I watched Thon Maker, I got to see Seventh Woods for the first time in person play at the HSOT Holiday Invitational. He matched up against Junior Smith (top 25 player in the class).

He's more athlete than basketball player right now. I thought Smith was clearly the better ball handler, passer, playmaker, and well, practically everything pertaining to point guard skills. That said, his physical gifts are unlike anything I have ever seen from a 15 year old. He is Russell Westbrook as an athlete. Not quite Westbrook, obviously, but he has the potential to get there as his continues to fill out and get older. This coming from someone who thinks Westbrook is the best athlete in the NBA right now. He is track fast and football quick. His explosion is unreal to see live. Strong, too, and you can tell with his frame that he's going to be weirdly strong for his size. His potential as a defender is really high.

The tournament is a collection of high school teams and Woods' team is plain awful. He carried all of the load, forced to played mostly 1v1, and it led to a bunch of turnovers. His teammates couldn't even catch simple passes. Smith plays on a quality team with other future d1 talent and it proved to be too overwhelming. Woods still dropped 40+ and at one point he made 7 (yes, seven) consecutive 3pters while trying to mount a comeback.

Smith is also very good and if Woods wasn't such a transcendent athlete, I would be gushing about Smith's athleticism too. He had a nice putback dunk, windmill dunk, and the following day he cross someone up at the free throw line, took one step in, and rose above everyone for a monster slam in traffic. Woods has a tendency to play at 1 speed, while Smith changes speeds really well. He's a stud.

Also caught Berry and Jackson. Both looked good. From what I've read, Jackson apparently came 4 points short of the tournament record for points in the event and Berry's team won the championship and he was the tournament MVP. Seems like Berry's teams win every event, aau or high school.

Found a mix of the game between Woods and Smith.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKmFgDFOeL0
    Last edited by IGotACoolStory; 12-30-2013 at 06:40 AM.

Thank you for this wonderful post again .. repped...

I may go out on a limb but i think woods can possibly be better than westbrook because he can shoot and i think has better handles... if ever he gets 6'4 or 6'5 it would be a nightmare for teams if he would play the point....