Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone else sick of Coach Pop's interviews?

Quote Originally Posted by lilteapot
    Yeah he could take a dump in the middle of the court and everybody would be like "oh, Pop! ha ha!"
    Uh, that would actually be pretty funny, numb nuts.

Very good NBA starter

if you ask popovich a question that he thinks is stupid, he'll slap you with something like "retard please. and they pay you for this shit?" that's probably how he coaches. old school.

with that MPC swing. Brokenbeat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alanLA92
    Majority of the questions asked post-game to a coach are pointless so can't blame him.
    This. I'd be annoyed by them too.

Pop cant stand and dont have patience for stupidity, and most questions fall into this category.

He is also not very social person, but he isnt paid to be one, so I dont see any issue here either.

90% of the questions asked to coaches either have completly obvious answers, or they're questions revolving a coaches game plan that Pop would never give away.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    First off, as a coach I think he's top 5 all-time and a brilliant man so this is no slight to his coaching.

But I'm really getting sick of how every intermission they got to get a coach Pop interview in and play out his snarky standoffish demeanor. It was comical the first few times but now it just seems like a huge tiresome act.
    Pop, just answer the damn questions without being so condescending! And TNT, the joke is getting old, give Spolstra some shine!
    fukking right !

First off yes I get that he's being asked dumb questions. But these are standard media questions. Is everyone implying that all other coaches are being asked entirely different questions? He doesn't want to be asked, then don't ask him.

Serious playground baller

First off yes I get that he's being asked dumb questions. But these are standard media questions. Is everyone implying that all other coaches are being asked entirely different questions? He doesn't want to be asked, then don't ask him.
    It's probably part of his contract to answer media questions in between quarters (which to me seems very out of place and a feature that Euroleague was wrong to add in the F4).

All other coaches are getting asked the same dumb questions and give the same dumb answers ie "we need to be more aggressive, close them down well, score more points than they do" etc. That they all participate in this circus doesn't make it something other than a circus and frankly these coaches aren't salesmen in a mall. They aren't paid to smile.

Quite honestly the coaches interviews are pretty much all the same. 'How do you stop XY?' 'Oh we've got to work harder, front him, do a better job staying in front of the guy'. blah blah blah. The coaches never actually say anything of substance, because it would take too long to explain and there's no point in giving it away on a broadcast.

So all you end up is pretty much nobody listening to the coaches interview when the game comes back on. Seriously, after halftime, do you actually listen to the coach talking, or do you just think 'shut up so that the ball game goes back to full screen'.

I love Pop as much as any spurs fan, but I agree with the OP. It's funny when it's occasional and spontaneous, not when the media beats it to death.

NBA sixth man of the year

I see what the OP is saying..Its like they do it on purpose when they know good and well he doesn't want to do the interview....And then it plays into the whole "Popovich is all business" idea....

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by AT9
    I love Pop as much as any spurs fan, but I agree with the OP. It's funny when it's occasional and spontaneous, not when the media beats it to death.
    This basically....

C-mon, fk the media. Media doesn't respect them, why should they respect the media?

I am your soldier!

You don't have to listen to them. His in game interview lasts about 8 seconds.

I think you can live through 8 seconds.

I never understood the point of sideline interviews in sports anyway. If I were a coach or player, I'd be ticked having to take time out in the middle of competition to answer stupid, redundant questions. I know I am as a fan sitting on my coach sipping green tea.