Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star 3LiftHeatCurse's Avatar

Default Dispelling the Myth that Kobe had to accept the large contract offer.

Since when does being offered something mean you throw common sense out of the window? Does someone tie you up and handcuff you when you are offered something? If your goal is to win championships, and you want to win so badly, and all you have left is 2 seasons AT BEST in your old injured legs, I would play for $1 if it meant I could win 2 more rings and Finals MVP's before my career is done. You know it and I know it.

Here's examples using only Heat players.

In 2005, Shaq turned down bigger contract to help Miami win. Shaq turned it down and accepted $20mil/yr and told Pat to use the extra $$$ to get help to win. Pat Riley actually already offered Shaq a bigger contract, and Shaq TURNED IT DOWN. So this "not if they offer you it" is a cop out excuse for KoMe Bryant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2122716

"He'll make $20 million in each of the next five seasons in an agreement believed to include incentives. He was to have earned $30.6 million this coming season, but opted out of that deal for a longer-term pact with less money annually."

--------------------------------------

I'll just stick with the Miami Heat and show another player who turned down more money for winning.

Dwyane Wade. He gave up millions and convinced LBJ and Bosh to also, so that the Heat could sign more help. D-Wade is actually making less money than both LBJ and Bosh right now, due to this.

----------------------------

And how about Udonis Haslem, also a Heat player. He turned down giant contracts SEVERAL times now. In 2005, he turned down the Mavericks large contract offer to stay with Miami and win more rings. And he did it again in 2010.

[b]"At the end of the day, everybody makes a pretty decent check playing this game
    Last edited by 3LiftHeatCurse; 03-15-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Default Re: Dispelling the Myth that Kobe had to accept the large contract offer.

You're beating a dead horse, let it go OP.

Default Re: Dispelling the Myth that Kobe had to accept the large contract offer.

u would have taken it if i was in place of kobe. Unless i have a family like relationship with coach/gm/owner, i am not taking a pay cut.
    it makes sense for lebron to take a pay cut as he would make even more money now given that he is a 2 times fmvp. Wade taking less than the best offer he gets would be moronic unless he likes miami and lebron like duncan loves most of spurs organization.
    The only thing i have against kobe is that he acts like he cares about the rings and lakers after taking so much money. He is not wrong in taking all that money but his warrior act pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    u would have taken it if i was in place of kobe. Unless i have a family like relationship with coach/gm/owner, i am not taking a pay cut.
    it makes sense for lebron to take a pay cut as he would make even more money now given that he is a 2 times fmvp. Wade taking less than the best offer he gets would be moronic unless he likes miami and lebron like duncan loves most of spurs organization.
    The only thing i have against kobe is that he acts like he cares about the rings and lakers after taking so much money. He is not wrong in taking all that money but his warrior act pisses me off.
    No, I would not.

If I am 36 yr old Kobe Bryant, with injured knees and only have 2 years left on my career, I will play for $1 if the NBA allowed me to, and I would want 2 more rings before I retire to have 7 rings and go out in a blaze of glory.

KoMe is just selfish. Always has been.

30 million for 3 years < 20 million for 5 years

Learn to math

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    30 million for 3 years < 20 million for 5 years

Learn to math
    25 million for 5 years > 20 million for 5 years

Learn to read

Quote Originally Posted by 3LiftHeatCurse
    No, I would not.

If I am 36 yr old Kobe Bryant, with injured knees and only have 2 years left on my career, I will play for $1 if the NBA allowed me to, and I would want 2 more rings before I retire to have 7 rings and go out in a blaze of glory.

KoMe is just selfish. Always has been.
    If Kobe wanted to sign for the min to chase a championship why would it be the Lakers? There are better teams already out there than an all 2014 fa squad.

NBA Legend

Fact is, Kobe has made a ton of endorsement money, a ton of money in salary, and with his stature can continue to make good money after his career. Guys like Duncan, Lebron, Nowitzki, even others like Haslem have taken less money in order to continue playing for the chance to win with the organization they've been a part of forever.

Kobe not only took a cap-crippling sum of money, but then has to nerve to continue to force his phony "I'm all about winning, no patience for rebuilding, management needs to get me help blah blah" cliche warrior talk.

The guy has been exposed as a fraud, plain and simple. His stans have some sort of weird bond to this guy who they've never met personally and will defend him to the death against anything. It's just a hilarious sequence of events from the outside. Kobe spits on the organization and the fans, the fans justify it and rush to his side to protect him from cricism.

#Awkward...

25 million for 5 years > 20 million for 5 years

Learn to read
    "Longer term pact"

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    "Longer term pact"
    That was referring to his old 30/mil yr Laker contract.

His new contract was going to be 25mil/yr for 5 yrs, but Shaq turned Riley's offer down because he wanted to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Fact is, Kobe has made a ton of endorsement money, a ton of money in salary, and with his stature can continue to make good money after his career. Guys like Duncan, Lebron, Nowitzki, even others like Haslem have taken less money in order to continue playing for the chance to win with the organization they've been a part of forever.

Kobe not only took a cap-crippling sum of money, but then has to nerve to continue to force his phony "I'm all about winning, no patience for rebuilding, management needs to get me help blah blah" cliche warrior talk.

The guy has been exposed as a fraud, plain and simple. His stans have some sort of weird bond to this guy who they've never met personally and will defend him to the death against anything. It's just a hilarious sequence of events from the outside. Kobe spits on the organization and the fans, the fans justify it and rush to his side to protect him from cricism.

#Awkward...
    Wow. Great post. I'll keep an eye out for your posts in the future.

and yeah, there seems to be some sort of Stockholm syndrome going on with Laker fans and Kome.

That was referring to his old 30/mil yr Laker contract.

His new contract was going to be 25mil/yr for 5 yrs, but Shaq turned Riley's offer down because he wanted to win.

Frontloaded at 30 million? Where exactly is the evidence he turned down more money?
    Last edited by Yao Ming's Foot; 03-15-2014 at 10:06 AM.

I mean it's cool if just want to be a hater but do you guys have to be overflowing with dumb too?

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

He could have took less. He's at the end of his career, coming off a major injury, and probably has more money than any other player in the league. If they can't put a decent team around him because of his huge salary, he shouldn't complain.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

This topic is stupid for the simple reason that no one thinks Bryant "had" to accept the contract. The simple reality that no one needs to be getting worked up over is that LA offered him the deal and he said yes.