Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: Derrick Rose Still Looks Like A Guard

Derrick Rose is what you call a Combo-Guard. He can do both jobs, and there is nothing wrong with that. The game is changing, and he will do what he has to in order to get the win. If anything, he is better than any PG in the league averaging 1 less assist last year than Chris Paul, but put up about 9 more points as him. Also throw in the fact that Cp3, Steve Nash, J Kidd have all been in the league for more years than DRose. None of them lead their team to the best team in the league in 3 years, or won MVP. Say all you want about the MVP choosing, it is your unproffesional opinions against Proffessionals that Disect the game left and right. In reality, your opinion means little, only on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando
    Derrick Rose is what you call a Combo-Guard. He can do both jobs, and there is nothing wrong with that. The game is changing, and he will do what he has to in order to get the win. If anything, he is better than any PG in the league averaging 1 less assist last year than Chris Paul, but put up about 9 more points as him. Also throw in the fact that Cp3, Steve Nash, J Kidd have all been in the league for more years than DRose. None of them lead their team to the best team in the league in 3 years, or won MVP. Say all you want about the MVP choosing, it is your unproffesional opinions against Proffessionals that Disect the game left and right. In reality, your opinion means little, only on forums.
    Silly post which is laced with opinionated mumbo jumbo where after you finish reading? Means little here on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Silly post which is laced with opinionated mumbo jumbo where after you finish reading? Means little here on this forum.
    I am talking about the MVP choosing. -___- How about you read a little before you try to summarize my paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando
    I am talking about the MVP choosing. -___- How about you read a little before you try to summarize my paragraph.
    What makes sportswriters and broadcasters opinion more than fans unprofessional opinions? What criteria does each go by. 120 voted. Do you even know half of the people who voted? Do you even know if half of the people voted was able to watch every game from MVP candidates? Is there an East Coast-West Coast biased attatched? If you struggle to answer these questions then I'd understand. I heard Steve Kerr yesterday give his opinion throughout the course of a game and he sounded like a troll here on ISH.

"Boston really miss Shaq imposing physical prescence out there". Given the fact Shaq didnt play close to half the games last year? Awesome observation there Kerr.

Made that high school varsity squad

What makes sportswriters and broadcasters opinion more than fans unprofessional opinions?
    I don't know? Maybe because they have more access, inside information and more often times than not have forgotten more about basketball (Hubie Brown, Dr. Jack, Marv, hell, even a Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, Magic Johnson and the like, ect...)than most of us can remember...

That sort of expertise should be respected...

Quote Originally Posted by themurph
    I don't know? Maybe because they have more access, inside information and more often times than not have forgotten more about basketball (Hubie Brown, Dr. Jack, Marv, hell, even a Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, Magic Johnson and the like, ect...)than most of us can remember...

That sort of expertise should be respected...
    Its one thing to respect it as in take it in and acknowledge thier views. Its another to respect it as the bible. Also from listening to these respected individuals there are times they are wrong. There are times 2 of them would disagree on a topic as their opinions clash. When it comes to rebounding I pay attention to Charles Barkley because he is not only experienced in rebounding but was one of the best to do it. When it comes to why he thinks Durant is the best player in the game? We'll agree to disagree. I respect folks who played/coach the game of basketball but I dont treat everything they say as bible as pass it off as my own opinion. Kenny Smith said this so therefore I'll agree with it and argue his opinion vs another persons. And in the end I'll feel confident and secure with my argument because it comes from Kenny Smith and the other person opinion was something from his own thoughts.

How many games do sportswriters watch during the course of a season? I'm a fan with access to the games online, league pass and I cant even watch all of them. And I'm a fan who watches where they actually have a job to report what they are watching. Do they tape them? Do they read boxscores and/or other sportswriters thoughts on game they missed and go off that?

Its silly imo to disregard fans opinions over a sportswriter or even broadcaster. That means that fan cant think for themselves on what they see, what they feel and have to go by what another human being opinion is. I'm not close minded to what Dr Jack Ramsey has to say. I even like to hear his thoughts on the game, players especially from the past. But it wont stop me from disagreeing with something he says. Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree. Even Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley do that. Why cant a fan vs a sportswriter?

Kblaze and I'll use him because he's a popular poster and well respected here across the board. What makes his opinion any less than a sportswriter? Marv Albert opinion on the game holds more weight than his? Personally I wouldnt agree with that at all. You got posters like jlauber, JMT, Thorp, psileas who present stuff on guys from the past which is interesting. LOKI knows MJ better than MJ. Grinder can tell you about some kid in the amazon jungle who has a mean backspin. We have fans who have a clue about the game of bball and its players. I wont look at thier opinions any lesser than a sportswriter.

Thats where I stand on that.

First thing is first, Rose is a great player one of the top 10 in the L. He's a great scorer and has proved to have the alpha dog gene. However, he happens to play the PG position. Which has a premium on being a floor general and creating scoring opportunities for their teammates. I feel like most of the top PG's ever like Magic, Big O, Isiah, Payton, Clyde, Tiny, and Nash, have the combo of being able to be an alpha dog scorer AND run the team like a great floor general should. The other GOAT PG's like Stockton, Kidd, and Cousy weren't in the same scoring realm, but as floor generals and running a team they were as good as it gets.

Guys like Rose and Iverson are very good passers. But they see the game differently. They have excel more at scoring than they do as floor generals. The are more than capable of playing PG, but typically u want your PG be like a Magic, Isiah, CP3, or DWill type who is a true floor general AND can turn into an alpha dog when its needed. Or u want your PG to be a pure floor general like Stockton, Rondo, Cousy, or Kidd. Guys like Rose, Westbrook, and Parker might be better off in a combo guard role. Or maybe flat out should be shooting guards and paired with a bigger PG that is 6'4 and up.

But don't get it twisted, Rose is still a very good passer and floor general. But what makes him GREAT is his scoring ability. Unlike an Isiah who was a great scorer AND great passer-floor general all in one. Larry Brown moved AI to SG because he felt AI would be better off concentrating on being great at what he does and that's scoring the rock. AI was still a very good passer and would have done fine at PG. But SG might have been his best position given his mentality. If Rose or AI were 6'6, they would have been SG's flat out. But could swing to PG as well. On the other hand a guy like Magic was 6'9 and his best position was still PG. Because Magic had the knack to be a great floor general who looked to hook up others first. I don't think it's so much that Rose is selfish (he's a great young man it seems), its just the way he sees the game at this point.

Its one thing to respect it as in take it in and acknowledge thier views. Its another to respect it as the bible. Also from listening to these respected individuals there are times they are wrong. There are times 2 of them would disagree on a topic as their opinions clash. When it comes to rebounding I pay attention to Charles Barkley because he is not only experienced in rebounding but was one of the best to do it. When it comes to why he thinks Durant is the best player in the game? We'll agree to disagree. I respect folks who played/coach the game of basketball but I dont treat everything they say as bible as pass it off as my own opinion. Kenny Smith said this so therefore I'll agree with it and argue his opinion vs another persons. And in the end I'll feel confident and secure with my argument because it comes from Kenny Smith and the other person opinion was something from his own thoughts.

How many games do sportswriters watch during the course of a season? I'm a fan with access to the games online, league pass and I cant even watch all of them. And I'm a fan who watches where they actually have a job to report what they are watching. Do they tape them? Do they read boxscores and/or other sportswriters thoughts on game they missed and go off that?

Its silly imo to disregard fans opinions over a sportswriter or even broadcaster. That means that fan cant think for themselves on what they see, what they feel and have to go by what another human being opinion is. I'm not close minded to what Dr Jack Ramsey has to say. I even like to hear his thoughts on the game, players especially from the past. But it wont stop me from disagreeing with something he says. Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree. Even Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley do that. Why cant a fan vs a sportswriter?

Kblaze and I'll use him because he's a popular poster and well respected here across the board. What makes his opinion any less than a sportswriter? Marv Albert opinion on the game holds more weight than his? Personally I wouldnt agree with that at all. You got posters like jlauber, JMT, Thorp, psileas who present stuff on guys from the past which is interesting. LOKI knows MJ better than MJ. Grinder can tell you about some kid in the amazon jungle who has a mean backspin. We have fans who have a clue about the game of bball and its players. I wont look at thier opinions any lesser than a sportswriter.

Thats where I stand on that.
    I like a lot of the posters around here...They are passionate fans who are not afraid to say what's on their mind...But most of them indeed have agendas...Which is cool because we all have our little biases, right? And even some professional NBA analysts have their own biases...But again, I will tend to listen to a Hubie Brown than some 16 year old kid who just wants to make it known that he thinks Rose is a lackluster passer or that Kobe is a dog or that Durant can't get his own shot...or that Bosh is soft, ect...When I hear things like that it gives me the impression that it's less about opinions and more about something else...

I like a lot of the posters around here...They are passionate fans who are not afraid to say what's on their mind...But most of them indeed have agendas...Which is cool because we all have our little biases, right? And even some professional NBA analysts have their own biases...But again, I will tend to listen to a Hubie Brown than some 16 year old kid who just wants to make it known that he thinks Rose is a lackluster passer or that Kobe is a dog or that Durant can't get his own shot...or that Bosh is soft, ect...When I hear things like that it gives me the impression that it's less about opinions and more about something else...
    We can definately agree on that.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    First thing is first, Rose is a great player one of the top 10 in the L. He's a great scorer and has proved to have the alpha dog gene. However, he happens to play the PG position. Which has a premium on being a floor general and creating scoring opportunities for their teammates. I feel like most of the top PG's ever like Magic, Big O, Isiah, Payton, Clyde, Tiny, and Nash, have the combo of being able to be an alpha dog scorer AND run the team like a great floor general should. The other GOAT PG's like Stockton, Kidd, and Cousy weren't in the same scoring realm, but as floor generals and running a team they were as good as it gets.

Guys like Rose and Iverson are very good passers. But they see the game differently. They have excel more at scoring than they do as floor generals. The are more than capable of playing PG, but typically u want your PG be like a Magic, Isiah, CP3, or DWill type who is a true floor general AND can turn into an alpha dog when its needed. Or u want your PG to be a pure floor general like Stockton, Rondo, Cousy, or Kidd. Guys like Rose, Westbrook, and Parker might be better off in a combo guard role. Or maybe flat out should be shooting guards and paired with a bigger PG that is 6'4 and up.

But don't get it twisted, Rose is still a very good passer and floor general. But what makes him GREAT is his scoring ability. Unlike an Isiah who was a great scorer AND great passer-floor general all in one. Larry Brown moved AI to SG because he felt AI would be better off concentrating on being great at what he does and that's scoring the rock. AI was still a very good passer and would have done fine at PG. But SG might have been his best position given his mentality. If Rose or AI were 6'6, they would have been SG's flat out. But could swing to PG as well. On the other hand a guy like Magic was 6'9 and his best position was still PG. Because Magic had the knack to be a great floor general who looked to hook up others first. I don't think it's so much that Rose is selfish (he's a great young man it seems), its just the way he sees the game at this point.

I know I sound like a broken record...But ask yourself this question...Beyond Magic, Big O and the old school like, who was the last pure PG to actually lead/ or had a profound impact on his team winning a ring? Maybe Rondo, right?

The rest? Nash didn't win it...Stockton didn't win it. Payton didn't either (not until his twilight years with the Heat, when he was a role player)...And Kidd became more of a spot up 3 point shooter on that Mavs team...And the best little big man to ever play the game, I. Thomas, was not always viewed as a pass first, traditional PG...At times his game (very offensive minded) was a precursor to Rose, Billups, Tony Parker and the like...And the last two names won championships with that style of play...

Oh yeah...Iverson was an undersized SG, which made his impact all the more impressive...Comparing him to Rose, who would rather past than shoot (his coach is the one that made him realize that he has to take advantage of his offensive gifts) is a little shaky, at best...
    Last edited by themurph; 12-26-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    1. A point guard is still a guard.
    2. People act like this makes him a bad player.
    3. He was the MVP and is an absolute beast. Does it matter where he plays?
    This.

TheBluest
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Bulls offense looking horrific again and Rosey is getting bodied up by a bum ankle Peter Pan

^^annoying as ****.

I know I sound like a broken record...But ask yourself this question...Beyond Magic, Big O and the old school like, who was the last pure PG to actually lead/ or had a profound impact on his team winning a ring? Maybe Rondo, right?

The rest? Nash didn't win it...Stockton didn't win it. Payton didn't either (not until his twilight years with the Heat, when he was a role player)...And Kidd became more of a spot up 3 point shooter on that Mavs team...And the best little big man to ever play the game, I. Thomas, was not always viewed as a pass first, traditional PG...At times his game (very offensive minded) was a precursor to Rose, Billups, Tony Parker and the like...And the last two names won championships with that style of play...

Oh yeah...Iverson was an undersized SG, which made his impact all the more impressive...Comparing him to Rose, who would rather past than shoot (his coach is the one that made him realize that he has to take advantage of his offensive gifts) is a little shaky, at best...
    Im not knocking Rose at all. I said he was a top ten player in the L. But at PG, there is a premium for assists, passing, faciltating, whatever u wanna call it. Isiah was always a true floor general and PG first. But he could also play the Rose or Parker role but more effeciently. He was great at both facets, unlike Rose at this point.

AI came in the L as a PG first and did very good. But Larry Brown knew AI had the itch to wanna score and score often. So LB moved him to SG. Larry Brown is the one who switched AI to SG. When u have a PG like Snow at 6'3 or 6'4 that can defend twos, its a great role. Comparing Rose to AI in some ways isn't shaky when looking at their mentalities. Im not saying AI and Rose were common copies.

Bob Cousy had profound effects on title teams. He was a pure PG all the way. He might not have been the best player, but he was the second best. Of course u can win a ring with a pure or pass first PG. Even though Big O, Magic, and Isiah scored a lotta points, they were just as great as running the show as Stockton or Kidd. But a guy like Isiah could takeover a game scoring whenever he needed or wanted to. Its almost like being able to be a great passing quarterback and scrambling QB all in one like Steve Young. Rose is a great scrambler but is a very good passer-facilitator. Isiah is of the Young cloth. As is Magic, Nash, Big O, Payton, Paul, D Will, etc.