Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Best poster ever High Potential's Avatar

Default Clash of the titans: Jordan or Shaq???

I know everyone thinks the GOAT is Jordan, but look at the cold hard facts about Shaq: When he was in his prime, absolutely no one could stop him. Jordan had players such as John Starks who could shut him down.

Shaq was a bigger athletic freak than Jordan ever was, infact I don't think we've ever seen an athlete like Shaq in the league, 7'1" 300 pounds, a monster vert and some of the quickest feet in the league. Even now in the twilight of his career he is still the best passing big man in the league, and commands a double team. How is Jordan better than Shaq when Shaq couldn't be stopped but Jordan could?

Default Re: Clash of the titans: Jordan or Shaq???

Top 10 Players Efficiency Ratings

1. Michael Jordan 27.91
    2. Shaquille O'Neal 27.14
    3. David Robinson 26.18
    4. Wilt Chamberlain* 26.13
    5. Bob Pettit* 25.37
    6. LeBron James 25.17
    7. Tim Duncan 25.10
    8. Neil Johnston* 24.67
    9. Charles Barkley* 24.63
    10. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 24.58

Shaquille O'Neal Players Efficiency Rating

1993-94 NBA 28.5 (2)
    1994-95 NBA 28.6 (2)
    1997-98 NBA 28.8 (1)
    1998-99 NBA 30.6 (1)
    1999-00 NBA 30.6 (1)
    2000-01 NBA 30.2 (1)
    2001-02 NBA 29.7 (1)

2002-03 NBA 29.5 (2)
    2003-04 NBA 24.4 (4)
    2004-05 NBA 27.0 (3)

Michael Jordan Players Efficiency Rating

1984-85 NBA 25.8 (2)
    1986-87 NBA 29.8 (1)
    1987-88 NBA 31.7 (1)
    1988-89 NBA 31.1 (1)
    1989-90 NBA 31.2 (1)
    1990-91 NBA 31.6 (1)
    1991-92 NBA 27.7 (1)
    1992-93 NBA 29.7 (1)

1995-96 NBA 29.4 (2)
    1996-97 NBA 27.8 (2)
    1997-98 NBA 25.2 (4)

Best poster ever High Potential's Avatar

Do those ratings take into account the fact that Shaq was playing through constant double and triple teams, while MJ was mostly guarded 1v1? While MJ was busy getting shut down by John Starks, Shaq was dominating double teams of Rasheed Wallace and Sabonis, and defensive players of the year, like Mutumbo. I doubt Jordan would have put up the numbers he did if he got double teamed everytime he touched the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by High Potential
    Do those ratings take into account the fact that Shaq was playing through constant double and triple teams, while MJ was mostly guarded 1v1? While MJ was busy getting shut down by John Starks, Shaq was dominating double teams of Rasheed Wallace and Sabonis, and defensive players of the year, like Mutumbo. I doubt Jordan would have put up the numbers he did if he got double teamed everytime he touched the ball.
    What are you on about?

The only thing that can be said about Shaq is that he had the greatest 3 year stretch of any player, so I'd take Shaq's prime over everyone, including Jordan.

But Jordans 6 titles, constantly finding new ways to score, and longevity, put Jordan ahead of Shaq. Remember at 35 Jordan was still scoring 28ppg.

Sure you say Starks could stop Jordan, though you act as if Shaq never had a bad game.

BTW, I consider Shaq a top 3 player of all time, though like I said, he is not up to the Jordan level.

Good college starter Nash-tastic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    What are you on about?

The only thing that can be said about Shaq is that he had the greatest 3 year stretch of any player, so I'd take Shaq's prime over everyone, including Jordan.

But Jordans 6 titles, constantly finding new ways to score, and longevity, put Jordan ahead of Shaq. Remember at 35 Jordan was still scoring 28ppg.

Sure you say Starks could stop Jordan, though you act as if Shaq never had a bad game.

BTW, I consider Shaq a top 3 player of all time, though like I said, he is not up to the Jordan level.

Decent college freshman eeeeeebro's Avatar

how about the night when jordan scored 65 points against shaq. why didnt shaq just decide to stop jordan that night? Oh wait he was busy getting made a fool of LOL.

2000 shaq was the most devastating offensive force I have ever seen, it was ridiculous how easy it was for him to score. Plus he actually did the best job he ever has done defending the pick and roll. The only difference is that you have to have the guards to feed the ball into shaq, where as jordan can grab the board and create from the get go for himself. Give me 2000 shaq over any player ever if I am starting a team for one year, for any other year give me mj.

My god this thread is stupid. A look at the cold hard facts shows Jordan is head and shoulders the greater player.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Jordan.

Shaq is a GOAT C no doubt, but his reign didnt last long enough, his prime ended too quick. When he was in said prime, nobody could stop him, his 300+ pounds of pure post power annihilated all. He is also an amazing defender.

But Jordan lasted longer and was just....Jordan

Shaq was never an amazing defender. You sounds almost as foolish as High Potential making a comment like that.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by eeeeeebro
    how about the night when jordan scored 65 points against shaq. why didnt shaq just decide to stop jordan that night? Oh wait he was busy getting made a fool of LOL.
    So C's guard SG's now? cool

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    Shaq was never an amazing defender. You sounds almost as foolish as High Potential making a comment like that.
    The Suns sure didnt get Shaq for his O. He can defend big men really well now, and then.

They didn't get him for his defense persay, either. They got him for the mammoth size in clogging up a lane. Why don't you name the number of All-Defensive teams Shaq has been a part of?

3-time NBA All-Star

Am I the only that realized the threadstarter said John Starks shut Jordan down? Really? How old is high potential? For anyone to make a comment like that makes me believe they weren't even alive back then.

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    They didn't get him for his defense persay, either. They got him for the mammoth size in clogging up a lane. Why don't you name the number of All-Defensive teams Shaq has been a part of?

That's defense buddy, and precisely why Shaq is the one of the most underrated defensive players of all time.