Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Default Shawn Marion vs Andre Iguodala

Who's the better/more impactful player in their primes?

Marion has the statistical edge, but keep in mind that Iggy's always been one of those guys that was way better than his stats suggested. As seen with his only all star selection came from one of his worst statistical years.
    Last edited by Fire Colangelo; 09-22-2014 at 10:11 PM.

the WHITE side

Default Re: Shawn Marion vs Andre Iguodala

We talkin Prime Matrix? If so, it's him rather easily.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KendrickPerkins
    We talkin Prime Matrix? If so, it's him rather easily.
    I concur. Because Marion in his prime was on a team that was all-offense, he was unfairly tossed in that pile... but he was one of the most complete players around in his prime.

Iggy is good, but not that good.

Have to agree with Marion.

Marion is the only answer.

I'd take Matrix as well..but the gap isn't as huge as people are making it to be.

Peak Iggy was a 20/5/5/2/1 player with elite perimeter defense, and legit playmaking and ball handling abilities as a point-forward. And he was doing that on a team ranked 20th in pace..not the 1st in pace, not on a team known for its high octane offense.

We have no idea how he would've produced in such a fast paced high volume offense in Phoenix, playing off one of the GOAT offense runners in Nash the way Marion was able to during his prime.

It really depends on what my team needs. If I have a great defensive center and need a highly versatile player who can play and guard both forward spots without compromising in rebounding, defense, scoring etc...I'm taking Marion without hesitation.

But if I already have a great front court at both PF and C, and a good PG..but really need a secondary ballhandler/playmaker who can also be the go-to defensive stopper at the 1 to 3...I might take Iggy

Prime Kirelenko.

I would take Marion. He has similar defensive versatility, was among the best rebounders in the world at his peak, and was good for 23 a night. Marion I think has an outside shot at the HOF. He won't be first ballot or second ballot. But ANYTIME u are a 20 point scorer who was a great rebounder, and among the most versatile defenders of all time, I think u should have a great case. Iggy is a stud and true point forward who is underrated for sure though. He's a notch below a Pippen style point forward.

Marion is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    I'd take Matrix as well..but the gap isn't as huge as people are making it to be.

Peak Iggy was a 20/5/5/2/1 player with elite perimeter defense, and legit playmaking and ball handling abilities as a point-forward. And he was doing that on a team ranked 20th in pace..not the 1st in pace, not on a team known for its high octane offense.

We have no idea how he would've produced in such a fast paced high volume offense in Phoenix, playing off one of the GOAT offense runners in Nash the way Marion was able to during his prime.

It really depends on what my team needs. If I have a great defensive center and need a highly versatile player who can play and guard both forward spots without compromising in rebounding, defense, scoring etc...I'm taking Marion without hesitation.

But if I already have a great front court at both PF and C, and a good PG..but really need a secondary ballhandler/playmaker who can also be the go-to defensive stopper at the 1 to 3...I might take Iggy

Well said! Marion was a combo forward who could defend PG to PF well. Iggy is more of a guy who can play and defend PG-SF and maybe some PF in if needed. On both sides on the rock as a package, Iggy is the more versatile player. However Marion allows teams to go small at PF while still being able to rebound and defend with the bigs AND create a major mismatch on the other end. Both are freak athletes who can be a third option BUT get u 20 points a night in the flow of the offense. Great, great All-Star role players to have!

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Marion and it's not even close tbh.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Tough to compare a SG/SF with a SF/PF. Anyway, Marion was better in everything but passing and that shoot mechanic. Way better.

College superstar

Marion. Iggy is still a beast though.

Learning to shoot layups

IGgy is still in his prime age, hop he can bounce back as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by To4
    Prime Kirelenko.
    Agreed.

I'd choose Matrix though.

Iggy last year was a better defender than Matrix ever was, but Marion was really versatile and a leader.