Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Shaq/Dirk or Jordan/LeBron?

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    I would take prime Wade over prime Allen to play with LeBron in a heartbeat.

MJ is a great off-ball player though. They could actually surprise people if they worked out a plan to co-exist.

Still, Shaq/Dirk would probably one of the GOAT duos of all time.
    Shaq and dirk would be better for long term success than Kobe and shaq.. for one dirk is ego-less unselfish and a better long range shooter than kobe.. which would stretch the floor and make defenders pay even more for doubling shaq. Dirk would never butt heads.. he would accept a second option role no problem.

I just see a lot of problems with lebron mj.. Bron wouldn't want to stick around losing FMVP every year.. he'll we saw him blatantly throw a series because his teammate wa about to win it once.. now he's sticking around to lose it 3-4 times in a row? Eh don't see it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    LeBron is super Pippen. On steroids. Even down to the chemistry perspective of having the ability to be a willing submissive as a Beta. Yet unlike Pippen, he has much superior offensive skills. He could even run point, and he's one of the few athletic freaks as durable as Jordan. Simply doesn't miss games.

Jordan could just be Mike, play the same roll he did with Scottie. Play off the ball. Maybe even have less scoring burden considering LeBron is a near 30 ppg caliber scorer as well. He could conserve his energy for 4th quarter scoring when the game gets tough, and his clutch ability when LeBron is likely to disappear.

Tell me that doesn't look menacing

LeBron is arguably the most clutch player in NBA history, look at his elimination game and game 7 numbers

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

shaq/dirk,because of lebron

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

LeBron is super Pippen. On steroids. Even down to the chemistry perspective of having the ability to be a willing submissive as a Beta. Yet unlike Pippen, he has much superior offensive skills. He could even run point, and he's one of the few athletic freaks as durable as Jordan. Simply doesn't miss games.

Jordan could just be Mike, play the same roll he did with Scottie. Play off the ball. Maybe even have less scoring burden considering LeBron is a near 30 ppg caliber scorer as well. He could conserve his energy for 4th quarter scoring when the game gets tough, and his clutch ability when LeBron is likely to disappear.

lebron is luckily he plays in current erA

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Shaq and dirk would be better for long term success than Kobe and shaq.. for one dirk is ego-less unselfish and a better long range shooter than kobe.. which would stretch the floor and make defenders pay even more for doubling shaq. Dirk would never butt heads.. he would accept a second option role no problem.

I just see a lot of problems with lebron mj.. Bron wouldn't want to stick around losing FMVP every year.. he'll we saw him blatantly throw a series because his teammate wa about to win it once.. now he's sticking around to lose it 3-4 times in a row? Eh don't see it.
    I agree with you on all points. Shaw and Dirk would be an amazing duo. Probably one of the GOAT duos. Still, I don't think LeBron/MJ would be as bad as you make it out to be. LeBron made 4 Finals and won 2 rings with a hobbled Wade (for 3 years). Imagine what he'd do with one of the GOAT perimeter defenders and arguably the GOAT scorer. Basically Wade on some superhuman serum or some shit. Dude was also the master of midrange. They would get owned by Shaq/Dirk though. If MJ joined LeBron in Cleveland in '03 as a rookie, that duo would probably win 10 of the last 11 titles (losing to only the '04 Pistons in their rookie year).

Also, LeBron didn't "throw" the series. He choked his ass off.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    I agree with you on all points. Shaw and Dirk would be an amazing duo. Probably one of the GOAT duos. Still, I don't think LeBron/MJ would be as bad as you make it out to be. LeBron made 4 Finals and won 2 rings with a hobbled Wade (for 3 years). Imagine what he'd do with one of the GOAT perimeter defenders and arguably the GOAT scorer. Basically Wade on some superhuman serum or some shit. Dude was also the master of midrange. They would get owned by Shaq/Dirk though. If MJ joined LeBron in Cleveland in '03 as a rookie, that duo would probably win 10 of the last 11 titles (losing to only the '04 Pistons in their rookie year).

Also, LeBron didn't "throw" the series. He choked his ass off.
    Glad to know I'm not the only one baffled by the "Lebron and MJ wouldn't be a good fit" arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Glad to know I'm not the only one baffled by the "Lebron and MJ wouldn't be a good fit" arguments.

It's just wrong. The idea that Jordan and Pippen won 6 rings, but Jordan and Lebron would maybe win 3 or 4 rings, is some straight Twilight zone shit. People be OD'ing on Pippen highlight vids before they're posing here.

Next, they're going to say replace Bill Russell with Bill Cartwright and you win less rings, or replacing Steve Kerr with Reggie Miller would ruin the "fit"

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    It's just wrong. The idea that Jordan and Pippen won 6 rings, but Jordan and Lebron would maybe win 3 or 4 rings, is some straight Twilight zone shit. People be OD'ing on Pippen highlight vids before they're posing here.

Next, they're going to say replace Bill Russell with Bill Cartwright and you win less rings, or replacing Steve Kerr with Reggie Miller would ruin the "fit"
    People have the cliche argument of "you can't just throw talent together" ingrained so deeply into their heads that it sometimes blinds them to the very real possibility of talent AND fit.

There is a very specific skill set that can thrive playing alongside Jordan...and Lebron just so happens to be the best player ever with that exact skill set. He's a ridiculous athlete that can run with MJ in transition, whether as an orchestrator or as a finisher. He has the size and skills to either post up or stretch the floor at a high level at the 4, opening up the game for MJ on the perimeter in a way Pippen just can't. Obviously, he can run an offense and set up teammates as a legitimate point-forward. He has one of the highest defensive ceilings ever from a physical standpoint, and we've seen a huge part of it in action at his peak around 2012ish...could you imagine an MJ/Bron duo defensively if MJ's defensive intensity and ruthlessness rubbed off on Lebron? Good god.

Lebron and MJ are two of the most versatile players ever, if not THE most versatile players ever for their respective positions. And in terms of understanding the game, they're both basketball geniuses. To suggest that they wouldn't be able to balance their games, which are quite different, is just ludicrous.

You'd think we were talking about an Iverson/Starbury duo or something

I think Shaq had the GOAT peak but Jordan's extremely close and has a top5 peak, plus LeBron had a better peak than Dirk... stilll, gimme Shaq/Dirk because they complement each other really well, because Shaq was dominant af and unstoppable, and because they're bigs.

Learning to shoot layups

A really great perimeter defense team on zone defense would limit Lebron/Jordan. 90s Bulls would defeat that teamup easily (Yeah 2 jordans, but what the hell).

How the hell do you defend against Shaq/Dirk? Even 99 Spurs or 04 Pistons wouldn't stop that.

No frontcourt in history is stopping Shaq/Dirk
    gimme them

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    No frontcourt in history is stopping Shaq/Dirk
    gimme them
    Not if you make Dirk play defense, or bring Shaq out on the pick and roll. Lazy ass defender. That duo has more holes than Jordan / LeBron on both sides of the rock. You could surround the latter with niche shooters, and hustle dorks yet still win. Ala the 90s Bulls. Shaq / Dirk still need quality guard play to get them the ball.

Banned

Damn this thread became more popular than I anticipated

it really is a tough question when you think about it

Do you go with the 1a 1b GOAT players, or go with size with one of them having arguably the most dominant peak ever?

decisions desicions

----

Just think about the defense when each of the 2 can conserve their effort, and go max out effort when it matters

DAYUM

Shaq/Dirk