Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default The basketball term "EuroStep" is inaccurate

The NBA put a new video out on Youtube to commemorate Elgin Baylor's 80th birthday.

In the video, Elgin is seen doing the "euro" step seen below.... One of the comments under the video was "looks like the euro step was actually created in the U.S"

this is a great example of how fans think that any move they see today, is something brand new...

fans' ignorance of the game has led to the completely inaccurate, nonsensical term "euro" step... it's like saying white people invented rock and roll.

GTFO.. Elgin Baylor invented the move and it's been a common move ever since... the Elginstep:

Last edited by 3ball; 04-30-2015 at 09:54 AM.

National High School Star

Default Re: The Term "Euro" Step Proves Today's Media & Fans Are Super-Dumb About Basketball

Its actually the opposite; most people believe that the past is better than the present for no reason

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Default Re: The Term "Euro" Step Proves Today's Media & Fans Are Super-Dumb About Basketball

What?

It is called the Euro step because it was made popular by Europeans, no one ever said that nobody had ever done it before them.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    What?
    My thoughts exactly.

It's ugly ass B.Walton

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    It is called the Euro step because it was made popular by Europeans, no one ever said that nobody had ever done it before them.
    This. It's a really popular move in Europe. It's commonly accepted that it was Marciulionis who first started consciously spamming the move in the NBA. With MJ and Elgin, I actually wouldn't be surprised if they did those moves out of intuition lol

PS: Do you ever do any threads that aren't agenda-fueled? Don't even try to dismiss it dude. It's just so obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    This. It's a really popular move in Europe. It's commonly accepted that it was Marciulionis who first started consciously spamming the move in the NBA. With MJ and Elgin, I actually wouldn't be surprised if they did those moves out of intuition lol

PS: Do you ever do any threads that aren't agenda-fueled? Don't even try to dismiss it dude. It's just so obvious
    Exactly. This thread is the only thing dumb here. How much insecurity do you have to have to be upset by the name of a basketball maneuver?

And no he doesnt.

Good post, saw MJ do it in the '92 Olympics as well.

With MJ and Elgin, I actually wouldn't be surprised if they did those moves out of intuition lol
    Elgin did the move 60 years ago....

now you want to hit me with what you heard on ESPN about how Sarunas Marciulionis popularized it?

You either haven't been watching basketball for that long, OR, simply don't have the knowledge of the game or recall to understand that guys euro-stepped regularly in previous eras - so just like you and everyone else didn't know that Elgin, MJ, and Magic did the move, you are unaware that ANY decent guard did the move.

Ignorance this significant should be a bannable offense.
    Last edited by 3ball; 09-17-2014 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

now you want to hit me with what you heard on ESPN about how Sarunas Marciulionis popularized it?

You either haven't been watching basketball for that long, OR, simply don't have the knowledge of the game or recall to understand that guys did regularly in previous eras - so just like you and everyone else didn't know that Elgin, MJ, and Magic did the move, you are unaware that ANY decent guard did the move.

i think ignorance this significant should be a bannable offense.
    Footage exists of Dave Bing doing the Eurostep in a late 60's game, as well as Archie Clark doing it in the 72 ABA vs NBA supergame, also Dr. J doing it in 1974. They all make it look like a routine practiced move, known at the times. Because that's what it was. Eurostep is just a fancy name for faking one direction and going another while in transition on the way to the basket after the dribble has been picked up. Kind of like how a "Dream shake" is just a fancy name for a simple up and under followed by a pivot or reverse pivot. Simple moves, that have existed for a long time. They just acquired nicknames in the 80's and 90's and people think that's when they must have got invented.

It's ugly ass B.Walton

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

You either haven't been watching basketball for that long, OR, simply don't have the knowledge of the game or recall to understand that guys euro-stepped regularly in previous eras - so just like you and everyone else didn't know that Elgin, MJ, and Magic did the move, you are unaware that ANY decent guard did the move.

Ignorance this significant should be a bannable offense.
    Nobody itt claimed that the move was invented in Europe or that it didn't exist in the medieval ages of basketball or whatever the fvck it is you're pushing down my throat here

Wow they did the move? Omgg. Larry Bird shot three pointers in the 80s, too. You finna tell me that the three ball isn't way more popular now? Any proof that it (eurostep) was a big part of the arsenal of Magic, Michael and Elgin? Any at all, except footage of them doing like one or two? The move was named eurostep because it had been very popular in EUROpean basketball for a while and because a EUROpean was the first to do it regularly in the NBA.

S.hit, the player most effective at using it all-time might even be one of our own homwgrown American players, Dwyane Wade. I don't even get what your incoherent pile of bulls.hit is about, except for some thinly veiled "past is better" agenda

Nobody itt claimed that the move was invented in Europe or that it didn't exist in the medieval ages of basketball or whatever the fvck it is you're pushing down my throat here

a EUROpean was the first to do it regularly in the NBA.
    Without even being aware that Elgin did the move in the first place, now you want to say he didn't do it regularly... your ignorance here is like screaming from the mountain top.

The "euro" step was a regularly used move.

The reason the media coined the phrase is because they are as ignorant as you on the topic.

I'm sorry these facts both disappoint and induce you into a binge of sophistry and denial... seriously, i am.. it hurts me too.. i have to be on here posting video and explaining history to you.
    Last edited by 3ball; 09-17-2014 at 02:12 AM.

OP, no one think Gordan Hayward and Trevor Ariza are as good as HOF's Chris Mullin, Alex English, Bernard King and Adrian Dantley.

OP, no one think euro step are created in Europe recently. That's just its name.

Come on guys... thought someone would post this by now.

"Eurosteps are nice but ain't nothin' like breakin' a mothafuc*as ankles" - James Naismith

[COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR]SF's With At Least a 15 PER

[COLOR="White"]..[/COLOR]2014 SF's[COLOR="White"]..............................[/COLOR]1990 SF's

Lebron James*...................... Larry Bird*
    Kevin Durant*....................... Dominique Wilkins*
    Carmelo Anthony*................. Scottie Pippen*
    Paul George.......................... James Worthy*
    Gordon Hayward................... Chris Mullin*
    Kawhi Leonard...................... Bernard King*
    Trevor Ariza.......................... Alex English*
    Andre Iguodala..................... Adrian Dantley*
    Nicholas Batum..................... Derrick McKey
    Luol Deng............................. Reggie Lewis
    Josh Smith........................... Orlando Woolridge
    Chandler Parsons.................. Mark Aguirre
    Rudy Gay............................. Jerome Kersey

HOF (*)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

OP, no one think Gordan Hayward and Trevor Ariza are as good as HOF's Chris Mullin, Alex English, Bernard King and Adrian Dantley.
    By saying 2014 SF's are better than 1990 SF's, people are saying the that 2014's role players > 1990's Hall-of-Famers...

The 1990 list of SF's had EIGHT Hall-of-Famers - it's impossible for the 2014 SF's to be better, yet somehow they are in the minds of many.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

OP, no one think euro step are created in Europe recently. That's just its name.
    Without knowing guys did the move AT ALL in previous eras, posters want to come on here and say they didn't do it regularly..

and be totally serious...