Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man Connor B's Avatar

Default The 5 most overrated players in NBA history

All great players, but all universally lauded and no one ever talks about their short comings almost ever (likeable, classy players --- that's probably why, but that shouldn't inflate their place in history).

Reggie Miller, Jerry West, Dirk Nowitzki, Hakeem Olajuwon

Default Re: The 5 most overrated players in NBA history

Alot of ppl were calling Dirk a career choker and players like Pau and Mchale better than him before 2011. Hes one of the most underrated players ever

Overrated-Magic, Duncan, Lebron, Nash, both Malones, Isiah, Hondo and Chuck

Id say Wilt but seems like everyone shits on him now besides the 60yos

Banned

overrated - players that other people think are great but I don't particularly like

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    overrated - players that other people think are great but I don't particularly like
    This ^

Lebron is overrated as f*k.

Wilt is seriously underrated.

[color=white]not serious[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by moe94

I like Magic, Moses and Isiah. Theyre fanboys are nuts

Seems like nikkas think Magic is the unanimous top 2 and much better than Bird when they were playing everyone had Bird as way better until his back started to get fcke dup

Moses has the MVPs in a weak era and the stats but he was a statpadder
    Isiah just wasnt as good as many nostalgic ppl think he was

Quote Originally Posted by Connor B
    All great players, but all universally lauded and no one ever talks about their short comings almost ever (likeable, classy players --- that's probably why, but that shouldn't inflate their place in history).

Reggie Miller, Jerry West, Dirk Nowitzki, Hakeem Olajuwon
    classy players
    Reggie Miller

How is Reggie Miller overrated? I think you are confusing respected or appreciated with overrated....

Reggie, Kobe (worst case of overrated), Barkley, Rondo (no one said he was great but he's still worse than most people give him credit) and Chris Webber. Im only mentioning players i saw playing. There could be other i forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by FPJ
    Reggie, Kobe (worst case of overrated), Barkley, Rondo (no one said he was great but he's still worse than most people give him credit) and Chris Webber. Im only mentioning players i saw playing. There could be other i forgot.
    Again, can someone please explain? How is he overrated?

He was one of the most entertaining characters & coldblooded competitors out there, one of the best clutch players (dont be surprised if he has hit the most gamewinners in nba history) & shooters ever (if not the best) and easily the best of-the-ball player ever (he had a ridicilous bag of tricks there, it was freakin educational, ask Rip Hamilton & Ray Allen), he showed what consistency is about, what work ethic & longevity is about, what loyalness is about, did this on the same team for 18 straight years, every game, never went to ringchase no matter how bad it got or how bad other teams begged for him (even after his retirement).... he simply left us with way to many great memories & performances to ignore... and retired the way any player only dream of.... did you see his last game? Not even Michael Jordan recieved that type emotion from the crowd, his teammates and even the opposing team (who took a timeout just to go out there and clap midcourt)....

As far as a basketball player he is rated exactly where he should be rated, most dont have him as a top 50 player ever or something... he is APPRECIATED, not overrated....
    Last edited by pauk; 09-04-2014 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Again, can someone please explain? How is he overrated?

He was one of the most entertaining characters & coldblooded competitors out there, one of the best clutch players & shooters ever (if not the best) and easily the best of-the-ball player ever (he had a ridicilous bag of tricks there), he showed what consistency is about, what work ethic & longevity is about, what loyalness is about, did this on the same team for 18 straight years, every game, never went to ringchase no matter how bad it got or how bad other teams begged for him (even after his retirement).... he simply left us with way to many great memories & performances to ignore... and retired the way any player only dream of.... did you see his last game? Not even Michael Jordan recieved that type emotion from the crowd, his teammates and even the opposing team (who took a timeout just to go out there and clap midcourt)....

As far as a basketball player he is rated exactly where he should be rated, most dont have him as a top 50 player ever or something... he is APPRECIATED, not overrated....
    No offense but have you seen him play in more than 20 games?

You mention shooting...yes, he could shoot, mostly off the screen but he could shoot. Ridiculous bag of tricks off the ball? Really?

Consistency? Reggie Miller?

Basically, all you have for an argument is shooting and whatever emotions you had while watching him play a game.

What do you have to say about his defense? I'll tell you, sub par. His assists? 3 a game with 1.7 turnovers. 0.2 blocks at 6.7/game. Rebounds? lol. Monta Ellis has more rebs.
    Last edited by FPJ; 09-04-2014 at 06:38 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

usually score first pgs..
    Oscar-considered top 15 yet no ring as the man. LOL
    Bran-considered top 10 player yet dirk has higher impact than him. Dirk could have the same rings as him if not for dwhistle. And still dirks 1 ring has more value than 2 cheated rings. 2 mvps already without a ring while magic has 2 only despite having 5 rings
    Iverson-won an mvp yet have only 1 50+ win team throughout his career. Miller had multiple 50+ win team at a time when east was the better conference.
    Rose-had 1 mvp too yet his team has the same win % with him missing almost half a season
    WEstbrook-this guy is considered top 5 yet his team performed worse with him in the lineup.
    Last edited by knicksman; 09-04-2014 at 06:52 AM.

FPJ, just like the OP you are confusing appreciation with being overrated, you are are talking about player talent/skill, i am talking about him being appreciated & why he was that.... nobody is overrating his talent/skill.... but even then, you have to remember that there is some intangibles stats can measure....

Quote Originally Posted by FPJ
    No offense but have you seen him play in more than 20 games?

You mention shooting...yes, he could shoot, mostly off the screen but he could shoot. Ridiculous bag of tricks off the ball? Really?

Consistency? Reggie Miller?

Basically, all you have for an argument is shooting and whatever emotions you had while watching him play a game.

What do you have to say about his defense? I'll tell you, sub par. His assists? 3 a game with 1.7 turnovers. 0.2 blocks at 6.7/game. Rebounds? lol. Monta Ellis has more rebs.
    One of the few skills that he had that most people consider him one of the best ever at doing and you decide to question that? Shows how much of his game that you know outside of looking at his stats off the internet.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

West and Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43
    One of the few skills that he had that most people consider him one of the best ever at doing and you decide to question that? Shows how much of his game that you know outside of looking at his stats off the internet.
    Why dont you tell me about all these offensive moves Reggie had? (that werent coming of screens, that is).