Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: The All-Choke Team

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    No Ray Allen nor John Starks?
    Before these last Finals Ray Ray was pretty clutch me thinks...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    Before these last Finals Ray Ray was pretty clutch me thinks...

All it takes is one bad performance to go from hero to goat (not the good one).

I rule the local playground Birmingham1955's Avatar

John Starks should be an honorable mention. As much as people of this generation remember him way more than a talent llike Mitch Richmond.

Starks never had that much game he was a glorified role player, that was famous with beefs among the league superstars. It wasn't like he was a Steve Nash talent.

Banned

Jermaine O'Neal

Beasley

REAL TALKS BRO!

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysunny
    Beasley

REAL TALKS BRO!

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    All it takes is one bad performance to go from hero to goat (not the good one).
    Well, if that is the case, then where is J. Kidd?

And if you're talking about all-time rankings, that PF spot is reserved for Karl Malone.

Take Chauncey off that list. That's just not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by creepingdeath
    Well, if that is the case, then where is J. Kidd?

And if you're talking about all-time rankings, that PF spot is reserved for Karl Malone.
    Why would Kidd be on that list?

Well, according to Sarcastic, it only takes one bad playoff series. Due to this year's games against SA, I guess Jason fits the requirements.

The choke thing has been sooooooo overplayed, all it takes it for someone to hit 1 big shot and they are forgiven for a fair few other misses because "he has made them before, that was just bad luck". Dirk is one of the most clutch mo-fos around and just because he hasn't won a ring doesn't negate that, people have off games, dirk has had about 100x more good than bad. Same goes for the majority of people who people label as "chokers".

I love how anyone who has won a ring regardless on differing situations is automatically exempt from the label.

For example:
    Game winning shots:
    Billups 6 for 37
    Dirk 12 for 37

yet dirk is the choker? not going to bother looking it up but im almost certain he has had far more good overall games than billups as well, they have both had bad games.

***** please: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playby...03006&period=4

Last edited by Quata; 07-03-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quata
    The choke thing has been sooooooo overplayed, all it takes it for someone to hit 1 big shot and they are forgiven for a fair few other misses because "he has made them before, that was just bad luck". Dirk is one of the most clutch mo-fos around and just because he hasn't won a ring doesn't negate that, people have off games, dirk has had about 100x more good than bad. Same goes for the majority of people who people label as "chokers".

I love how anyone who has won a ring regardless on differing situations is automatically exempt from the label.

For example:
    Game winning shots:
    Billups 6 for 37
    Dirk 12 for 37

yet dirk is the choker? not going to bother looking it up but im almost certain he has had far more good overall games than billups as well, they have both had bad games.

just to rile up some people: Kobe (14 for 56) vs Gasol (9 for 18)

Very good NBA starter

Being successful in the long term and winning championships isn't all about hitting game-winners. Go check Dirk's game 6 against the Spurs if you want some recent examples of his game... then tell me he doesn't consistently fault under pressure, when his back and his team's back is to the wall.

The guy is 7 feet tall, 245 pounds, you know how many shots in the paint he made in game 6 against the Spurs? ..... 0 shots.... Out of 20+ shots, do you know how many were taken in the paint of that game?..... 2 shots.... This guy is supposed to be a "power forward".... In the 4th quarter of that game with under 5 minutes left, he had a 35 year old Antonio McDyess with 5 fouls guarding him a few feet in from FT line, he could have driven to the basket for a high-percentage layup or an And-1 and cut Spurs lead to 4 or 3, instead he takes an weak fade away jumper that clanks off the rim.... Spurs get the ball back, McDyess gets completely free from Dirk's "defense" on the other end, knocks down a 17 footer, Spurs stretch a 6 point lead to 8 and eventually win the game.

He's a near perfect / automatic as they come FT shooter and had an extraordinary FT streak leading up to the playoffs, yet in an elimination game he misses a FT about minute into the 4th quarter??? .... (yeah, missing a FT is easy for anybody to do, but this is Dirk we're talking, you can't talk up his efficiency without noticing when he's inefficient in pivotal moments)

Listen, I'm not saying "Dirk is a choker" based on this one game alone, but it's an example of what kind of player he is, IMO. What Dirk apologists fail to see is that under pressure, maybe not as a whole or anything close to the majority of his career, but under pressure he tends to simmer down or not step up in the way that bigs or MVP's should... Of course he is going to have game winners, he's been in the league since 2000!.... and he's had a couple opportunities at least (as the favorite) to win it all now. His Mavs, with Kidd, Butler, Haywood, etc, was supposed to be the team that finally won it, they were the #2 seed in the West, and couldn't even get out of the first....

And tell me this, how many MVP's in the history of the NBA shot 38% from the field in the first round getting knocked out by a worse team... in their MVP year?

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Being successful in the long term and winning championships isn't all about hitting game-winners. Go check Dirk's game 6 against the Spurs if you want some recent examples of his game... then tell me he doesn't consistently fault under pressure, when his back and his team's back is to the wall.
    Oh the game he scored 33 points in? Dirk did about everything he could do in that game, but he couldn't make up for the rest of his team missing open shots, Kidd not being able to guard Parker, or Carsile's shitty coaching.