Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Kevin Garnett vs Moses Malone

Moses is universally regarded as the 'greater' player.

Why?

Last edited by oolalaa; 10-25-2012 at 08:56 PM.

High School Varsity 6th Man Connor B's Avatar

Default Re: Kevin Garnett vs Moses Malone

Quote Originally Posted by oolalaa
    Moses is universally regarded as the 'greater' player.

Why?
    Rings, advantage of being retired (so naturally 20 year old elitist ******s think the older player is better).

Quote Originally Posted by Connor B
    Rings, advantage of being retired (so naturally 20 year old elitist ******s think the older player is better).
    They have the same number of rings, each with one

Please... Moses was a beast, especially in his prime. Not saying KG wasn't great and he was a better defender and passer though.

Moses is one of the GOAT rebounders, better scorer than KG, plus he had more impact.
    Look at what he did in 1981 with that Rockets team, and he was the one who took Philly all the way.
    3x MVP over dudes like Kareem, Bird, Julius, Magic, and also Finals MVP.
    He also had great longevity.

Moses: 3x MVP + 1x FMVP

Garnett: 1x MVP

There's your answer

I think KG is as good as Duncan. I rank Duncan ahead tho, as he gets better with each round in the playoffs and delivered when it most counted. His team was better than KG's, so Garnet didn't get as fair a shot to deliver, but the fact is Duncan did and he did deliver.

What I'm trying to say is that KG is right behind Duncan and I have Duncan ahead of Malone. That's only my opinion, but I think KG is better.

Banned

Kevin Garnett: 0 rings as the man, 1 MVP, 0 Finals MVPs
    Moses Malone: 1 ring as the man 3 MVP, 1 Finals MVP

Moses was a guy that could lead a team as a number one option. Garnett needs someone else to carry the scoring for his team. Thats why the Timberwolves always sucked **** except for that year Cassell was a top 3 PG in the league.

Moses is one of the best rebounders all-time along with Wilt, Russell, Rodman.

Moses routinely dominated Kareem Abdul Jabbar in their head to head matchups(most notably the 1983 NBA Finals). KG meanwhile routinely got outplayed by Dirk and Duncan in his era.

-KG is the better defensive player, but Moses is worlds away as far as scoring and rebounding mattters. Ultimately Moses is a horse that can carry your team while Garnett is a complimentary star.

5-time NBA All-Star

Its too hard of a mix and match. Malone wasn't in the same hemisphere defensively, KG was an all time defensive great. Malone was asked to play around the basket, KG the entire court. Malone played one of the most simple games of a top player, KG played the one of the most versatile games ever. Offensively KG had an edge because of his versatility, Malone had an edge because he scored more by the basket.

Nobody has Malone ahead of Duncan but when KG played Duncan its an incredible equal matchup careerwise and H2H. Malone had the great accolades, so I can see why people would say he was the great players.

Was he a better player? No. There were no great rebounders during Malone's big time years. When taller centers came into the league (Ewing, Eaton Hakeem) Moses scoring dips dramatically (like more than 6 ppg) and this was in the wide open era, and he should have been at his peak at 27 years of age. And Moses missed a whole lot at point blank range and was a turnover machine. And he couldn't pass. He had little versatility and the speed of today's game would have exaggerated his flaws.
    Last edited by Pointguard; 10-26-2012 at 02:25 AM.

Offensively, Garnett falls short. He was never a scoring threat, but more of an all around type of player. Malone was one of the best post players and rebounders ever.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Offensively, Garnett falls short. He was never a scoring threat, but more of an all around type of player. Malone was one of the best post players and rebounders ever.
    Offensive game and scoring aren't the same thing. Magic was one of the best offensive players in the game and he was when he was scoring 21ppg. Moses Malone wasn't that good offensively. He gave up a lot of possessions and didn't shoot that well, his percentage was like a guards and his post game was totally predicated on hustle. He didn't have a good touch and wasn't a good passer. KG could get six assist a game with non scoring players, while playing the point, and not turnover the ball as much as Moses Malone did. KG like Duncan, was a 22ppg scoring threat in their primes. KG was a top three scorer once - btw, (Duncan, Barkley and Dirk never were in the top three). KG makes the right play like a PG and has lead his team in assist several years and he doesn't turn the ball over.

If you say offense wise you are including mental game, skills, control, team concepts and decision making. Scoring is one facet of offense.

Made that high school varsity squad LA Lakers's Avatar

Moses Malone

It's as if KG didn't score over 20 a game for 9 consecutive seasons, dropping to 18.8 his first year in Boston, with two other scorers, on a team that was defensive-minded...and only scored 1 point fewer a game than the captain and scorer Paul Pierce, with a higher per 36 by a point.

And it's like his average teams in Minnesota didn't win 50 games every year until they missed the playoffs in 05, with him scoring that way, at 50%.

Not all scoring is just in terms of the actual PPG. Duncan is a better scorer. But you don't put up those kinds of numbers, while doing EVERYTHING and your team being good while you do it, if you're not a good scorer. That's moronic.

And that's before considering that offense is more than just scoring.

Is this thread for real?..

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    Is this thread for real?..
    ISH...

This thread is full of fail.

These two guys are not really comparable. Different era's different styles and different roles

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Offensive game and scoring aren't the same thing. Magic was one of the best offensive players in the game and he was when he was scoring 21ppg. Moses Malone wasn't that good offensively. He gave up a lot of possessions and didn't shoot that well, his percentage was like a guards and his post game was totally predicated on hustle. He didn't have a good touch and wasn't a good passer. KG could get six assist a game with non scoring players, while playing the point, and not turnover the ball as much as Moses Malone did. KG like Duncan, was a 22ppg scoring threat in their primes. KG was a top three scorer once - btw, (Duncan, Barkley and Dirk never were in the top three). KG makes the right play like a PG and has lead his team in assist several years and he doesn't turn the ball over.

If you say offense wise you are including mental game, skills, control, team concepts and decision making. Scoring is one facet of offense.
    I agree with pretty much everything you say, so really I'm just nitpicking, but the bolded is somewhat misleading. Barkley was a noticeably better scorer - and overall offensive player - than Kevin Garnett.