Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2008-09 College Preseason Rankings and Analysis

Now that the NBA draft is over

Default Re: 2008-2009 Preseason Rankings and Analysis

16.Tennessee (Seniors Chris Lofton and JaJuan Smith leaving will hurt this teams experience and offense, but plenty is left over from last year’s 31-5 team. Junior Tyler Smith will be the leader of this team once again proving to be one of the best all around players in the country. Wayne Chism and J.P. Prince will also be asked to step up their roles. A rivals.com #7 ranking of incoming freshman should help to ease the scoring load, especially with #5 player Scottie Hopson.)

17.West Virginia (Losing lottery pick Joe Alexander is not as big a hit as many people believe. His 17ppg in 31 minutes isn’t anything that incoming freshman Devin Ebanks can’t replace, his rebounding wasn’t spectacular, and his outside shooting was nothing special. The Big East tournament is really where he started to make a name for himself as he was inconsistent during the year, including a stretch of 5 games where he only scored 46 points, a 9.2 average. Alex Ruoff, the sidekick scorer for Alexander last season, now becomes option 1a to Ebanks. Da'Sean Butler will also continue to develop into a great player. Another Sweet 16 finish could be in the cards

18.Baylor (Baylor returns it’s top 5 scorers from last season’s surprising 21-11 team. Curtis Jerrells will look to prove again that he is one of the top guards in the country during his senior campaign. Sophomore LaceDarius Dunn will try to improve on his impressive freshman year after scoring 14ppg in limited minutes last season. Senior Kevin Rogers and Henry Dugat also give the Bears senior leadership, essential in leading a team into the tournament.)

19.Villanova (Nova returns every starter from last year’s Sweet 16 squad including great guard Scottie Reynolds. The Wildcats will need sophomores Corey Stokes and Corey Fisher to step up this season as they struggled for a big chunk of the season, Stokes coming on strong towards the end. Coach Jay Wright will look to get a larger contribution from forward Shane Clark in his senior season, as well as seniors Dwayne Anderson and Dante Cunningham. Antonio Pena, a freshman last season, was also a welcomed addition. A five game losing streak was really the scary moment for Wildcat fans as they lost to Rutgers, Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse, and Saint Joseph’s, all double-digit losses. As long as Scottie Reynolds is filling up the bucket, expect Nova to improve on its 9-9 conference record.)

20.Arizona (This is of course in the case of Brandon Jennings playing next season under Lute Olsen and not in Europe. Jennings has the potential to be a lottery pick someday and could continue the Arizona point guard tradition. Chase Budinger decided that he wasn’t ready for the next step and returned to Arizona to provide scoring punch from the wing. Jordan Hill is regarded as one of the top up and coming big men in the country and is a presence on the inside. Nic Wise will be the organizer of this offense after missing 7 games last season.)

21.Memphis (I’ve seen them ranked higher, especially on espn.com at #7, but I just don’t see how. How do you lose your All-American junior shooting guard, the #1 pick in the NBA draft, and the anchor of your defense to the 2nd round of the draft, and barely slip in the rankings? Robert Dozier, Antonio Anderson, and Shawn Taggart were successful as role players, but can they be the leaders of a team? Much will rely on incoming freshman Tyreke Evans and how his scoring translates to the college game. He should be successful in John Calipari’s fast paced offense as he is a slasher similar to Chris Douglas-Roberts.)

22.USC (Losing last year’s star freshman OJ Mayo, not to mention Davon Jefferson, is a big hit to this offense. But there may be no other freshman more waited on than Compton High’s Demar Derozan. Derozan is rivals.com’s #3 overall player, #1 overall shooting guard, and was a 30.6ppg scorer in his last year of high school. Taj Gibson should be able to progress into a reliable inside scorer after having a down year last season. Dwight Lewis and Daniel Hacket should also help with the scoring burden left behind.)

23.Wisconsin (Senior Brian Butch has graduated and left a hole in the middle, but one that can be easily filled. Wisconsin returns four of its top six scorers from last year’s 31-5, Sweet 16 team. Coach Bo Ryan is one of the best in the business and always seems to make something out of nothing. Expect Marcus Landry to have a breakout season.)

24.Oklahoma State (The surprise of this year’s top 25, expect the Cowboys to be in the thick of things in this year’s Big12 title race. A 17-16 finish was not what they wanted last year, but Oklahoma State had some memorable moments including a double-digit win over Baylor and a one-point win over eventual NCAA champion Kansas. Marcus Dove is the lone graduating senior from last year’s squad. Sweet-stroke shooter James Anderson should be able to lead the team into the tournament this year, and hopefully even further.)

25.Georgetown (The loss of seniors Roy Hibbert, Patrick Ewing Jr. and Jonathan Wallace aren’t going to hurt Georgetown’s stats, but will be a big loss in their leadership and team defense. No one seemed to be better in the clutch than Jonathan Wallace who made big shot after big shot, and was there a better half court option in the nation than Hibbert? DaJuan Summers, Chris Wright, Jessie Sapp, and Austin Freeman should be enough to replace the points put out by their seniors. The addition of five star recruit Greg Monroe is a big body plug in the middle to help continue the Georgetown big man tradition.)
    Last edited by Posterize246; 07-02-2008 at 09:18 AM.

I don't follow college ball much but it seems like you really know what you're talking about. I'm not a big fan of Louisville or Gonzaga, I feel they're too high.

Good High School Starter Buffalobraves's Avatar

Default Re: 2008-09 College Preseason Rankings and Analysis

Lets get Syracuse on thisssss

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ 4 MVP
    I don't follow college ball much but it seems like you really know what you're talking about. I'm not a big fan of Louisville or Gonzaga, I feel they're too high.
    Louisville could possibly be higher and Gonzaga is about right.

Memphis should at least be ranked in the teens and Kansas unlike Florida of last year is returning contributing players including Sherron Collins & Cole Alrich along with a good recruiting class led by the Morris twins.

Syracuse shouldn't be any higher than #24 they look good on paper but they are one of the biggest underachievers in the country.

Was anybody else sickened by how they played against Pitt and then against UMass in the NIT.
    Jim Boeheim might need to have a retirement thing set in place so he can retire while people still remember his NC.
    Last edited by Interminator; 07-01-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator

Syracuse shouldn't be any higher than #24 they look good on paper but they are one of the biggest underachievers in the country.

Was anybody else sickened by how they played against Pitt and then against UMass in the NIT.
    Jim Boeheim might need to have a retirement thing set in place so he can retire while people still remember his NC.
    Yeah I watched those games, made me sick to my stomach. I'd settle for 24 I think they are a tournament team this year.

http://realnba.s2.bizhat.com/realnba.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobraves
    Yeah I watched those games, made me sick to my stomach. I'd settle for 24 I think they are a tournament team this year.

http://realnba.s2.bizhat.com/realnba.html
    Stop posting that link before you get Banned.

And hopefully Syracuse is a Tournament team but I wouldn't bet money on them being so.

Damn I swear Paul Harris could be a great player but his decision making is on a pre-school level.

Syracuse was strongly considered for the 25 spot and I love Jonny Flynn. Donte Greene leaving hurt and they're getting Devendorf back. Just wasn't ready to put them in. They're kind of a bubble team. And I thought Louisville was about right given the departure of Padgett, Caracter, and in a smaller sense Juan Palacios. It's not like 5 is a low seeding.

Interminator, I'm still unsure about Kansas. Yes they have Sherron Collins but he didn't even score double digits last season. Also what did Cole Aldrich do until the last quarter of the season? They do have a nice recruiting class, just uncertain if that's enough.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    Interminator, I'm still unsure about Kansas. Yes they have Sherron Collins but he didn't even score double digits last season. Also what did Cole Aldrich do until the last quarter of the season? They do have a nice recruiting class, just uncertain if that's enough.
    Winning the NC and returning some contributors is enough to keep a team in the top 25.

Florida lost everyone,they returned nobody who contributed to their team other than Walter Hodge.

Winning the NC and returning some contributors is enough to keep a team in the top 25.

Florida lost everyone,they returned nobody who contributed to their team other than Walter Hodge.
    I would really only name Collins as a contributor. Aldrich barely played. Do you think Kansas will be better than Syracuse next year? Because I know you said they shouldn't be higher than 24 and wouldn't put money on them making the tournament.

Syracuse likely starting lineup...

Flynn
    Devendorf
    Jardine
    Paul Harris
    Onuaku

Kansas likely starting lineup

Collins
    Releford
    Tyshawn Taylor?
    Marcus Morris?
    Aldrich

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    I would really only name Collins as a contributor. Aldrich barely played. Do you think Kansas will be better than Syracuse next year? Because I know you said they shouldn't be higher than 24 and wouldn't put money on them making the tournament.

Syracuse likely starting lineup...

Flynn
    Devendorf
    Jardine
    Paul Harris
    Onuaku

Kansas likely starting lineup

Collins
    Releford
    Tyshawn Taylor?
    Marcus Morris?
    Aldrich
    Kansas would get the nod though in the actual rankings when they're released.

Kansas would get the nod though in the actual rankings when they're released.
    It's true. They get the benefit of the doubt. But that's why these are my rankings.

haha i didnt think the link would get me banned sorry just trying to get some publicity (its cool sign up).

I've met Jonny Flynn in person before and after he went to Syracuse and hes taught me a lot. He learned a lot from Syracuse coaches which means they are probably very good. He is the most explosive point guard in the Big East.

Their team looks great with Devendorf back I say 24 seed still.

You don't think Kansas will start Markieff Morris as well? I played against both these guys in high school, Markieff can play the 4 and Marcus can play the 3 even though they're 6'10 and 6'9. If Kansas goes with this lineup, they're going to be dangerous.

Looking forward to seeing how BJ Mullens does in Ohio State and another guy I played against in high school, Tyreke Evans.