Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Whats with the lack of durant ring jokes?

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I think it was because LeBron had more expectations. He multiple times had the team with the best record in the league (60+ win teams) and still wasn't able to win.
    60 wins in the East is like 45 in the West

Let's see...being dubbed The King and not being humble about it at 17 yrs old, getting a tattoo of "The Chosen One" before winning a championship, using Jordan's number, promising a championship to Cleveland before he left to Miami, promising Miami 6+ rings, his comments about us going back to our regular lives....

I don't know why you would make jokes about LeBron...none at all.

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

Its media that says that, and Durant dosnt need attention like Lebron

Because he wasn't hyped up as some generational physical talent and basketball prodigy the way Lebron was. And understandably so..Lebron warranted all the hype he got in high school, Durant really didn't command expectations to that level. He was a skinny kid that could score with the best of them..we knew he'd be an incredible scorer. But I don't know how many people expected him to be this good overall this soon. The dude just had a season putting up 32/7/6/1/1 on 64% TS..with a near GOAT-level month putting up 37/6/6/2/1 on 68% TS. If you had told me in 2007 that he'd do that at 25, and win MVP over peak Lebron in the process..I'd have a tough time buying that.

Now that we've seen what he's capable of, the expectations are gonna rise. Westbrook's healthy, Ibaka's healthy, and I think this upcoming season is when he's really gonna face the pressure. This past season to me was his 2009 Lebron season, when he put up insane stats and because of it the expectations ramped up another level.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

He's not as high caliber player as Bron, do he doesn't have ring or bust expectations

Banned

durant isnt the poster child of espn and handed 10 league mvps before his first ring or wearing #23 or being nearly as cocky or self centered

plus durant is beta. westbrook is alpha. we dont expect a whole lot from durant because of his mindset

and durant didnt collude or ring chase or recruit.

durant doesnt attract hatred. lebron does.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

On the 60 win point, yeah OKC has reached 60 wins only once but they have consistently been an elite team and close to 60 wins or a 60 win pace:

2014: 59 wins
    2013: 60 wins
    2012: 58 win pace over a full season
    2011: 55 wins

OKC's ranking in wins (for the league, not just the West)

2014: 2nd
    2013: 2nd
    2012: 3rd
    2011: 7th

So they have had the second best record in consecutive seasons and a top 3 record in three consecutive seasons.

Durant is the consensus second best player in the league and Paul is the most common choice for 3rd. Both play on loaded teams with arguably another top 5 player. Yet neither is criticized for being ringless--or not even making the 3rd round in Paul's case.

The fundamental fact is, despite all the hate LeBron gets, even his biggest haters recognize that LeBron is on another level than every other player in the league and thus is held to a much higher standard. Durant and Paul have done much less with much more and no one bats an eye. Meanwhile, LeBron takes teams deeper than they should go and is crucified for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    Let's see...being dubbed The King and not being humble about it at 17 yrs old, getting a tattoo of "The Chosen One" before winning a championship, using Jordan's number, promising a championship to Cleveland before he left to Miami, promising Miami 6+ rings, his comments about us going back to our regular lives....

I don't know why you would make jokes about LeBron...none at all.
    this sums it up nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    The fundamental fact is, despite all the hate LeBron gets, even his biggest haters recognize that LeBron is on another level than every other player in the league. Durant and Paul have done much less with much more and no one bats an eye. Meanwhile, LeBron takes teams deeper than they should go and is crucified for it.
    No, he actually isn't. Durant was underwhelming in the playoffs, but all things considered Durant is a lot closer to Lebron than you're willing to admit. 2011 to 2013, I'd agree with you. But Durant this past season was definitely on Lebron's level. I still think Lebron is the better overall player right now, but there was a solid 2-3 month stretch in the winter where Durant was playing at a higher level than Lebron.

I dont think lebron stans understand how much people hate lebron.He basically rubs it in people's faces that he is better than them....Most people don't like that

Haven't seen Durant in a "check my stats" t-shirt.

ring jokes are only made for players who are expected "to win a ring"

Durant isn't expected to win one. so no ring jokes. ever heard one for Melo?

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    durant isnt the poster child of espn and handed 10 league mvps before his first ring or wearing #23 or being nearly as cocky or self centered

plus durant is beta. westbrook is alpha. we dont expect a whole lot from durant because of his mindset

durant doesnt attract hatred. lebron does.
    Why would Durant ring chase? He did nothing but get Seattle 20 wins his rookie year which ended up getting Westbrook and Serge in the draft for being so bad. The next year he improved the team by 3 wins which turned into getting Harden in the draft.

James got 1 lottery pick his 2nd year. Luke Jackson, 10th overall.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    ring jokes are only made for players who are expected "to win a ring"

Durant isn't expected to win one. so no ring jokes. ever heard one for Melo?
    Exactly. If LeBron didn't exist, then KD would probably be hearing some ringless jokes since he would be the face of the league. Really only one guy can be seen as "ring or bust" in the league

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin

What does this have to do with anything? LeBron was getting made fun of for no rings when he was in Cleveland