Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: People who think Lebron won't retire in Cleveland have to be legitimately stupid

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    Love gets hurt
    Cleveland can't afford the young talent when their contract comes up
    Space Jam II needs to be filmed
    LeBron always wanted to be a 'global icon' (can't do that in Cleveland)
    LA is his next stop

the media will write his exit story just like they wrote the entrance.

Dan Gilbert can once again play the heel.

Don't be so naive.
    they build around him and sacrifice a potential HOFer in Wiggins?

Default Re: People who think Lebron won't retire in Cleveland have to be legitimately stupid

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    To cash in on the expected TV rights proposal...

But the return was about him coming home and fulfilling a promise and the whole sincerity letter of sorries...

But on the other hand, he's left Cleveland hanging on a second year opt out clause.

How do these two aspects to his motive come together? They don't.
    Ok. My point is that if he was truly 100% committed to Cleveland he wouldn't have opt out deals in a short span of time. He would be committed long term. He probably stays in Cleveland, but there's no guarantee he stays especially if they lose. He wants a ton of money with a ton of power. He got it. It also so happens to be his hometown. He didn't have that power in Miami. Riley is in charge, and Riley could not offer him all that power nor would he give it to him. I've never brought the notion that he's coming back because he truly misses his hometown. It may be a factor, but Cleveland offers him more wealth and power, and a younger core of talent.
    Last edited by DaSeba5; 07-30-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSeba5
    Ok. My point is that if he was truly 100% committed to Cleveland he wouldn't have opt out deals in a short span of time. He would be committed long term. He probably stays in Cleveland, but there's no guarantee he stays especially if they lose.

I agree with you, which is why his contract speaks louder than words...

If I was lebron and I was sincere in all the things about returning to Cleveland, I wouldn't even consider jacking the franchise around and signing short term, even if there was the chance to make loads of money down the track...

I would sign long term and make it clear my intentions...otherwise, all this GM work he's doing comes across really tasteless.

If you want the players you want lebron and you want the power? Sign the dotted line longterm.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

I argued this with roundmound.

He says its simply to get the most money imaginable when the new TV rights come which is true, however it doesn't sell this notion that he's coming home and he's a changed man narrative.

A truly sorry and humble man is signing up longterm to the team and not thinking about the money possibilities.
    LeBron's a business man. It would be honestly quite stupid to sign a long term deal and miss out on all the extra money he could be making after the bidding on the new TV deal. Him signing a 1 year contract doesn't mean he's not in it for the long haul. It just means he's wisely thinking about the finances.

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    LeBron's a business man. It would be honestly quite stupid to sign a long term deal and miss out on all the extra money he could be making after the bidding on the new TV deal. Him signing a 1 year contract doesn't mean he's not in it for the long haul. It just means he's wisely thinking about the finances.

The return to Cleveland was supposed to be about redemption and a sincerity for righting some wrongs.

It wasnt supposed to be about exploiting more money(lebrons letter), it should be about him showing his good intentions to Cleveland and the way to do that is to sign longterm immediately.

You know very well that if Irving or love went down, lebron would be looking to leave.

The guy is a business man and also a very selfish man who will lie his ass off to make things better for himself.

The return to Cleveland was supposed to be about redemption and a sincerity for righting some wrongs.

It wasnt supposed to be about exploiting more money(lebrons letter), it should be about him showing his good intentions to Cleveland and the way to do that is to sign longterm immediately.

You know very well that if Irving or love went down, lebron would be looking to leave.

The guy is a business man and also a very selfish man who will lie his ass off to make things better for himself.
    I think you guys are just looking for more reasons to hate. If LeBron ends up signing a 4 year deal with Cleveland after the TV deal goes through, what will be the excuse then?

I don't see how making the most money he can and going to Cleveland for redemption are mutually exclusive. It's not like this is a team that's guaranteed to win a ring this year, or even guaranteed to make the finals. It's a young inexperienced team, so things will go south. He knows that and still signed even though he knows the chances are slim of them getting a ring in the next year or two.

You seem to be insinuating that if he's making the most of his money, he can't be returning to Cleveland to "right the wrong". He would likely be making the most money for himself on any team he would've signed with.

I think you guys are just looking for more reasons to hate. If LeBron ends up signing a 4 year deal with Cleveland after the TV deal goes through, what will be the excuse then?

I don't see how making the most money he can and going to Cleveland for redemption are mutually exclusive. It's not like this is a team that's guaranteed to win a ring this year, or even guaranteed to make the finals. It's a young inexperienced team, so things will go south. He knows that and still signed even though he knows the chances are slim of them getting a ring in the next year or two.

You seem to be insinuating that if he's making the most of his money, he can't be returning to Cleveland to "right the wrong". He would likely be making the most money for himself on any team he would've signed with.

His contract purposely leaves his options wide open to leave AND exploit more money.

Things going well, he will likely resign a longterm deal with Cleveland but you are missing the point. He is not matching up his sincerity and promises by avoiding a longterm commitment now.

He's gonna try and make this team a title contender now(pushing for love), doesn't work out or someone gets injured, he's outta there.

I'd be interested to see if he sticks around if the cavs fail to win the next 2 years..I'll happily bump this.

His contract purposely leaves his options wide open to leave AND exploit more money.

Things going well, he will likely resign a longterm deal with Cleveland but you are missing the point. He is not matching up his sincerity and promises by avoiding a longterm commitment now.

He's gonna try and make this team a title contender now(pushing for love), doesn't work out or someone gets injured, he's outta there.

I'd be interested to see if he sticks around if the cavs fail to win the next 2 years..I'll happily bump this.
    Actually, the bidding would potentially raise the cap, which means he could get more money wherever he went, not just Cleveland.

Any max contract player at this point would be dumb to sign a long deal right now, unless it's something like what Melo is getting. It doesn't mean anything about your loyalty to a team. It just means you're maximizing your money like a smart business man.

You seem to be implying that he can't be loyal to Cleveland and try to get the most money possible. I just don't see how the two are related. Most likely, the Cavs will not win a championship this year. Are you saying LeBron will leave if the Cavs don't win? He's already acknowledged that it will take years for this team to really mesh and be contenders. The dude stayed with Cleveland for 7 years which didn't amount to anything... and then returned. I'm pretty damn sure his heart is in Cleveland. If he wanted instant rings, he would have gone to a real contender.

Actually, the bidding would potentially raise the cap, which means he could get more money wherever he went, not just Cleveland.

Any max contract player at this point would be dumb to sign a long deal right now, unless it's something like what Melo is getting. It doesn't mean anything about your loyalty to a team. It just means you're maximizing your money like a smart business man.

You seem to be implying that he can't be loyal to Cleveland and try to get the most money possible. I just don't see how the two are related. Most likely, the Cavs will not win a championship this year. Are you saying LeBron will leave if the Cavs don't win? He's already acknowledged that it will take years for this team to really mesh and be contenders. The dude stayed with Cleveland for 7 years which didn't amount to anything... and then returned. I'm pretty damn sure his heart is in Cleveland. If he wanted instant rings, he would have gone to a real contender.

He went back to Cleveland as it was the only place to avoid public scrutiny and allow him to surround himself with greener pastures and younger talent who will either build with him or likely be traded for love, which will give him two other young allstars to work with.

The other main reason, which I've already mentioned is that going back to Cleveland builds his brand and in turn makes him lots of money.

The letter was mostly bullshit, the reasons were bullshit, the sincerity is bullshit.

He cares for number one and that's it really. Business man or not, not everything is about making the most out of everything money wise, especially when your a half billionaire...

You don't even dispute the issue of his sincerity, you just point straight to the money opportunity and say its alright

He went back to Cleveland as it was the only place to avoid public scrutiny and allow him to surround himself with greener pastures and younger talent who will either build with him or likely be traded for love, which will give him two other young allstars to work with.

The other main reason, which I've already mentioned is that going back to Cleveland builds his brand and in turn makes him lots of money.

The letter was mostly bullshit, the reasons were bullshit, the sincerity is bullshit.

He cares for number one and that's it really. Business man or not, not everything is about making the most out of everything money wise, especially when your a half billionaire...

You don't even dispute the issue of his sincerity, you just point straight to the money opportunity and say its alright
    here you go again implying that one can't sincerely want to return home, and get the most money out of his contract possible. You seem to be saying he can't be loyal with Cleveland unless he signed a 4 year deal right away, and turned away potential 10s of millions of dollars... Just doesn't make sense to me. You're also making an assumption that he will leave if the Cavs lose, which is pure assumption... and basing your whole opinion on the situation off that quite bold assumption.

I don't get how you're assuming the sincerity of the letter is bullshit... How could someone really know this unless they were personally close with LeBron? Or are you just making assumptions again and basing your hate of a person off pure speculation like you normally do?

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

more stupid people here than I thought. Lebron leaving Cleveland again will do nothing for his brand, WTF at that suggestion. He has his rings and the average NBA fan won't know the difference between x and y rings, but the crucifixion he will endure if he were to leave Cleveland again would ring louder than any subsequent success he may have.