Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Could Dennis Rodman defend Lebron?

Rodman doesn't even have 1/2 of the skill of pippen defensive skills, pippen doesn't need to get in your head ordeliver cheap shots to defend you. If rodman is allowed to deliver cheap shots than lebron can push off all day too

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    Doesn't anyone know why the Spurs did not put Dennis Rodman on a red-hot Hakeem Olajuwon in the 1995 Western Conference finals?

Yes, while the Spurs had Robinson in his MVP prime, if Rodman was some all-world defender on the level of Bobby Jones he would've guarded Hakeem.
    Robinson was First Team All-Defense and played Hakeem's position. Why would he not guard him?

But I recall reading his autobiography and elsewhere that the Spurs thought he would get in foul trouble quickly so they gambled and had Rodman guard Horry in the perimeter.

As a result Rodman's instincts led him to sink back in the paint, leaving Horry open all series long.
    Rodman's obsession with rebounds led him to sink back into the paint in order to be in position to rebound. I've posted about this before, but I'm unsure if I did so on this board, as I'm a member of several boards. Sometimes I forget what I've posted where.

On an aside, speaking of Rodman, that's why I only take the Detroit DPOY Rodman on any team of mine, and none of the later versions. If what you're doing on the court doesn't help your team win games then it's meaningless. Getting big rebounding totals at the expense of leaving your defensive assignment open does not help your team win games. That's one reason why people can't just cite stats.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r

On an aside, speaking of Rodman, that's why I only take the Detroit DPOY Rodman on any team of mine, and none of the later versions. If what you're doing on the court doesn't help your team win games then it's meaningless. Getting big rebounding totals at the expense of leaving your defensive assignment open does not help your team win games. That's one reason why people can't just cite stats.

This is completely accurate and people don't take it into consideration when looking at stats. It's not just accurate, but it's the truth and only right that it's acknowledged...unfortunately, it is not.

But I don't agree on Rodman...at least not completely. He played SF for most of the time in Detroit. His first year in Chicago was a standout year. I think he was less impressive in San Antonio, but he was only there two years and his second year is the more celebrated season, despite him missing 33 games and only starting 26. But again, he did play PF so I don't think he was leaving defensive assignments.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    Robinson was First Team All-Defense and played Hakeem's position. Why would he not guard him?
    35 ppg... 12 rpg... & 5 dimes ring any bells? It was obviously not working.

In the autobiography, Rodman said that in the locker room, prior to the games, Robinson was visibly shaking. Whether that was from adrenaline or from a triple espresso shot, I dunno.

Again, if Rodman was some all-world defender that neutralized any top offensive threat, who better than Hakeem Olajuwon at his absolute peak?

That the Spurs stuck with Robinson, despite getting torched every game, says more about this hypothetical scenario than anyone realizes.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    You might not like it but that's a great find.

It's even more impressive to remember how Marion shut down LeBron in that Finals matchup when you can see the stats laid out like that. 8 full points off his average against Marion in the regular season.

That's awesome
    It

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    ... Stop acting as if you could pick people up and move them in previous rules. ...
    Actually Derek Harper was notorious for using his vice like grip to force the ball carrier into certain spots on the court. It got so bad during the 94 Finals when Harper abused the Rockets guards.

The NBA had to change this rule not long afterwards.

Very good NBA starter

rodman might tire lebron out and make him shoot a weaker percentage and grab less rebounds or other facets but lebron would still get 26, 28, or 30.

if lebron gets 28 points on a low 40% fg, you've done your job as a defender. but you ain't stopping him from collecting buckets throughout the game.

Yes

If Rodman can stop prime young Shaq then LeBron is just a piece of cake..

People here really underrate Rodman defense.. Dude was one of the best defender of all time.. A beast in defense.. He would stop LeBron with no sweat..

I am your soldier!

That the Spurs stuck with Robinson, despite getting torched every game, says more about this hypothetical scenario than anyone realizes.
    BAD COACHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    29 ppg on 49%

Yep, contained him!

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    The best defenders on lebron are not crazy wingspan 3's like Durant, and George. Its guys with girth and lower body strength.

I feel like Rodman lacks the bulk. George and Durant lack the bulk.

THe perfect defender on Bron is 2003-2007 Ron Artest. That Artest had bulk(250-255 muscle) height (6'7) and very quick feet.
    I remember Wes Matthews doing a good job n the Rose Garden this season ....well Bron got his but Wes did manage to cause TOs and make Bron take long jumpers.

College superstar

As PP34Deuce stated, prime defensive Artest was probably the player most suited to guard Lebron effectively. Incredible strength, along with great lateral quickness.

Rodman didn't have the lateral quickness (at least not when I watched him, but that was with the Bulls) to stick with Lebron on the perimeter for an entire game.

Second best player to guard Lebron is obviously Pippen. Only place where Lebron has the upper hand is strength, which means post play, and while Lebron has gotten much, much better I'd still take my chances on Lebron trying to beat Pip in the post rather than on the perimeter.

35 ppg... 12 rpg... & 5 dimes ring any bells? It was obviously not working.

In the autobiography, Rodman said that in the locker room, prior to the games, Robinson was visibly shaking. Whether that was from adrenaline or from a triple espresso shot, I dunno.

Again, if Rodman was some all-world defender that neutralized any top offensive threat, who better than Hakeem Olajuwon at his absolute peak?

Robinson played awesome defense on Hakeem. Hakeem just had as good as series as...as...

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    As PP34Deuce stated, prime defensive Artest was probably the player most suited to guard Lebron effectively. Incredible strength, along with great lateral quickness.

Rodman didn't have the lateral quickness (at least not when I watched him, but that was with the Bulls) to stick with Lebron on the perimeter for an entire game.

Second best player to guard Lebron is obviously Pippen. Only place where Lebron has the upper hand is strength, which means post play, and while Lebron has gotten much, much better I'd still take my chances on Lebron trying to beat Pip in the post rather than on the perimeter.

Rodman had much greater lateral quickness than Artest ever had. Maybe not when he was with the Bulls, but while he was in Detroit, absolutely...even in San Antonio...especially that first year.
    Last edited by Whoah10115; 02-15-2013 at 02:20 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1

Artest never had great lateral quickness.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Artest never had great lateral quickness.

If he never had great lateral quickness, then what enabled him to guard perimeter players so effectively? Would that/those attributes have helped him to stay in front of Lebron?
    Without knowing what they were, I say yes... if he could guard other perimeter players' quickness effectively, then he could have guarded Lebron's quickness effectively, and thus I stand by my answer of Artest.

And as for Rodman having great lateral quickness.. you mentioned "maybe not with the Bulls" so I assume you noticed that I was basing my opinion on just his Bulls years.. but just wanted to clarify that. I have no firsthand experience of Rodman before he joined the Bulls.