Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    High School Starter

Default build around Bird or Barkley

Both were great players, both had problems with their back, who would you build around

Default Re: build around Bird or Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoejoe
    Both were great players, both had problems with their back, who would you build around
    Johnson
    Aigne
    Bird
    McHale
    Parish

3-6 rings in the 2010s

Larry Bird, not all that much to discuss.

Bird had better/more impact from the get-go, more proven as a winner and as an overall player, one of the best ever at improving teams/teammates, does more on the basketball court (arguably more all-around/versatile offense ever), had a top5 all-time peak (though Barkley had a beastly and underrated peak/prime).

Not really a "fair" question towards Chuck though... I don't wanna underrate him or something but it is what it is.
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 07-31-2014 at 08:16 AM.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoejoe
    Who would I build around is a question I heavily consider when making GOAT tiers. Bird is in my first, Barkley is in my third. No offense, but this is not even a fair comparison, as great as Barkley was.

Bird >>

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

I'm saying this as a lifelong Sixer fan and Celtic and Bird hater who saw both of them play in their primes. It's Bird and it's not even close. If you asked me that while they were still playing I would have said Barkley because I didn't want to admit that Bird was good but now that they're both gone I can admit it. Barkley was amazing and did things that no one his size will ever do again. He was also much more skilled than he's given credit for. Bird was skilled from the gate and just about as a tough as a competitor as there ever was. He had the knack for doing the right thing at the right time. So while yes I love Chuck and he's one of my favorites I can't be a homer and just ignore that Bird was better. Bird was better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    I'm saying this as a lifelong Sixer fan and Celtic and Bird hater who saw both of them play in their primes. It's Bird and it's not even close. If you asked me that while they were still playing I would have said Barkley because I didn't want to admit that Bird was good but now that they're both gone I can admit it. Barkley was amazing and did things that no one his size will ever do again. He was also much more skilled than he's given credit for. Bird was skilled from the gate and just about as a tough as a competitor as there ever was. He had the knack for doing the right thing at the right time. So while yes I love Chuck and he's one of my favorites I can't be a homer and just ignore that Bird was better. Bird was better.
    how does bird compare to players nowadays. what about his passing style vs lebron's.

One is nicknamed Legend and the other Round Mound.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

For my money Bird is the easiest of all the truely great players to build around. Because he fits in so many spots. He can play with the ball and without because he's the best shooter among the 6 or 8 players or so at his level. He can play on the block or off of it.

Barkley, because he must have the ball to be effective, and because because he's such a liability defensively at a position that requires more, and because to cover for that liability it really calls for another player who typically would get in the way of what he does so well offensively, is actually among the more complicated of the really really good players to build around in my opinion.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

How is this a question?

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    How is this a question?
    punctuation

Chuck's peak was pretty dominant. But Bird is on a whole different level altogether. To me this is not something that should be close, at all. No offense to Barkley because he was a stud

Top 1 Bball Mind.

bird

NBA All-star

Lillard
    Thompson
    George
    Barkley
    Perkins/Asik

Dragic/Hill
    Tony Allen
    Melo
    Barkley
    Collins/Asik

can't get away without having an elite coach though

pretty sure these are cap salary friendly rosters

think they'll contend, even 2 peat?

Yep gotta go Bird on this one! No shame there cause at one point Bird was arguably the GOAT at least in terms of perimeter players. But in terms of the best PURE forwards ever (I'm saying that cause Duncan to me is a PF-C hybrid but still the GOAT PF) peak wise, u could make the case that Barkley is just behind Bird and LeBron. I think u could make the case u would rather build around Barkley than guys like Doc, Barry, Baylor, KG, Dirk, Hondo, and Mailman.