Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Default does anyone else find playing basketball by yourself to be frustrating?

I was shooting some ball today and I spent about 90 percent of my time chasing my misses down the street. Also, it gets boring firing up jumper after jumper. There's noone to pass to, can't really do too many drills. What do you guys think? Any ideas for solo play?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: does anyone else find playing basketball by yourself to be frustrating?

the ball glides back to you if you shoot a proper arc and make it more times than not.

anyway on a serious note, you could always practice HORSE shots.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

Default Re: does anyone else find playing basketball by yourself to be frustrating?

For me, I get tired/bored seemingly faster. Even if you're hitting a bunch of jumpers, it's not the same as raining them down on a defender.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I was shooting some ball today and I spent about 90 percent of my time chasing my misses down the street. Also, it gets boring firing up jumper after jumper. There's noone to pass to, can't really do too many drills. What do you guys think? Any ideas for solo play?

I was thinking the same thing today. I wanted to punch someone in the freakin face.
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

alright, I'll keep that in mind VC. As long as I make ALL my shots, then I won't have to worry about running after my airballs/bricks. Just gotta FOCUS! Gotta WANT IT! Think B.E.E.F baby!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
gts
shhhhhhh

i used to always play a game my couch taught me, start at the free throw line and make the shot if you miss the shot chase it down as fast as you can then shoot from there if you make go back to the free throw line and start over... it's either make the shot or learn to hustle... plus you get in the practice of shooting from just about anywhere and practice free throws at the same time
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
Dr Giggles
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
i used to always play a game my couch taught me, start at the free throw line and make the shot if you miss the shot chase it down as fast as you can then shoot from there if you make go back to the free throw line and start over... it's either make the shot or learn to hustle... plus you get in the practice of shooting from just about anywhere and practice free throws at the same time

Damn! Your COUCH teaches basketball? Where did you buy it? Is it comfy? Just so many questions come to mind. You are truly blessed to be able to sit comfortably and learn basketball at the same time. : :)
Dr Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

that's actually a good idea. Hope I can chase it down in time before the next shot becomes a full court heave!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
HollaBolla
Banned

why dont u gather some homeless guys to help, that's what I do I give them half of my sandwich and a can of soda, I make them chase the ball and give it back tome and I make them shout "ur the man", or "kobe is nothing compare to u bro".
HollaBolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #10
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:
Damn! Your COUCH teaches basketball? Where did you buy it? Is it comfy? Just so many questions come to mind. You are truly blessed to be able to sit comfortably and learn basketball at the same time.
lol yeah it's a real slave driver, no potatoes round my house...

Quote:
that's actually a good idea. Hope I can chase it down in time before the next shot becomes a full court heave!
yeah well that's the point, hustle makes for better opertunities... and when you been playing for about an hour an your real tired, you start to really pay attention to the free throws...lol
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #11
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaBolla
why dont u gather some homeless guys to help, that's what I do I give them half of my sandwich and a can of soda, I make them chase the ball and give it back tome and I make them shout "ur the man", or "kobe is nothing compare to u bro".

You are my favourite poster today, got me laughing twice with a hangover, nice work bro.

My answer if you don't like shooting hoops and chasing that ball, you don't like basketball.

Best shooting drill I've ever been shown is simple but very effective. It will be hard to explain but here goes:
-Stand almost directly under the hoop (a little bit back so you can get the ball over the rim) with the ball in your shooting hand.
-Go through the shooting motion only using your shooting arm, put a high arc on the ball and snap your wrist.
-Snapping your wrist is the most important part of shooting, well when you follow the basic mechanics right anyway.
-When you make ten shots in a row, take a step backwards and continue. I can make Shaq-esque one handed free throws with ease.
-An Aussie guy that ran a coaching clinic back home could shoot one-handed 3's all day, and wasn't happy unless he got a swish, I mean a swish. It had to make the perfect sound and everything. Best shooter I've seen in my life, at any level. A 50 year old man shooting 90%+ on 3's... unguarded mind you, but he was a pro.

-Also he reccommended finger tip press-ups, they've helped me considerably.
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #12
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
alright, I'll keep that in mind VC. As long as I make ALL my shots, then I won't have to worry about running after my airballs/bricks. Just gotta FOCUS! Gotta WANT IT! Think B.E.E.F baby!

BEEF

Wade needs to make a commercial about how to get the refs to give him calls.

P.H.A.N.T.O.M.

Pressure the Referees
Hit the Referees
Argue with the Referees
Nag at the Referees
Talk vehemently to the Referees.
Orchestrate a violent fall to the ground to plead your case to the referees.
Make sure you tell the referees how you are a manufactured superstar.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #13
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
-An Aussie guy that ran a coaching clinic back home could shoot one-handed 3's all day, and wasn't happy unless he got a swish, I mean a swish. It had to make the perfect sound and everything. Best shooter I've seen in my life, at any level. A 50 year old man shooting 90%+ on 3's... unguarded mind you, but he was a pro.

I know a guy like this who used to run a clinic i would go to but i think he only played semipro ball. He can hit like 90% from 3 with his eyes closed.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #14
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

I like playing ball. I just think that chasing down the ball is really frutrating. However, from what I've gathered, all I need is a couch, a homeless man, and good running shoes to chase the ball down!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #15
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

wait now I understand what you are referring to.

outdoor courts do not have nets, so barring the ball hitting back iron and getting into the rim, you have to chase it.

solution: play in an indoor gym
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: